SR40c question

SR40c question

This is a discussion on SR40c question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all! I was browsing the local gun shop yesterday and the Ruger SR40c caught my eye. I read many reviews last night when I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: SR40c question

Question SR40c question

Hello all!

I was browsing the local gun shop yesterday and the Ruger SR40c caught my eye. I read many reviews last night when I got home, and there were several mentions of firing issues (pin not striking primer hard enough to fire). I figured the best place to get some real feedback on the pistol was right here! Does anyone own the SR40c and if so, have you had any issues with reliable firing?

Thanks in advance!
    Mike
    ----------------------------------------
    Mike

I believe I've seen Taurahe praise his SR40c many times. If he doesn't pop in here be sure to PM him for his thoughts. I don't own one but have looked into them a bit and don't remember seeing the firing pin issues. Just heard good things. I'd probably seriously be considering one if I wasn't so dead set on getting a G26. lol Good luck with your search!
    SpankyMA1971 and Taurahe like this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

I have the smaller brother, the SR9c and have no issues with light strikes to date. Owned it for about 1.5 years now. A co-worker has a 40c and I'm not aware of light strike issues with his.

If you do get a 40c, be SURE to give it a thorough cleaning BEFORE shooting it. There have been reports of preservative grease and other gunk in the firing pin channel. Pretty easy to take it apart and remove the striker and clean the channel out and then lightly lube with a drop or two of gun oil. Search YouTube for videos on this.

I love my 9c and I think you would love the 40c. It IS a nice gun and carries well.
    SpankyMA1971 likes this.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

I do indeed love my SR40C :) i responded to your pm as well. For others who may be considering a SR series pistol i will explain the firing pin issue.
    The mag safety is the problem. The mag safety is a u shaped piece that rides a spring and plunger and phyically blocks the firing pin from striking the primer. With a mag removed, the firing pin will move when the trigger is pulled, but will not actually strike the primer of a chambered round.

The problem is that the firing can drag on the mag safety as it passes through when firing, slowing down the firing pin and potentially causing light primer strikes.
    The fix is to simply remove the mag safety, which takes a youtube video and about ten minutes. This is also a good time to scrub the firing pin channel as it is packed with preservative lube.

I removed mine immediately before i ever fired, but only because it was an easy fix and not a problem i wanted to deal with. I have between 400-600 rnds through my ruger, and it has been flawless.
    It is a great gun at a wallet friendly price, the ergonomics are fantastic and it smells nice too :)

Note to ruger : give me a job. I seem to always be promoting you guys..... or a SR1911 would work too... :)

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

As a fellow SR40C owner thanks for the tip on the magazine safety. I have not experienced any problems with mine, but might opt to remove it anyway. SpankyMA1971 you picked a fine firearm. My only suggestion is to get a spare extended magazine (Yes they are pricey, and there might be on backorder) but 9+1 in gun and two 15 round spare magazines make for a lot of firepower.
    SpankyMA1971 likes this.

I have the sr9c and have had no firing problems. I have about 300 rounds thru it and have had no problems to date. My wife has claimed this one so I will be looking for a sr40c in the future.
    SpankyMA1971 likes this.

I have had no issues with my SR9c and I have 2000 rounds thru it now. It is my least expensive gun and I carry it every day!
    SpankyMA1971 likes this.
    SR9c
    S&W 620
    Kimber Pro Carry II

Thanks everyone for the replies and info! Certainly making it easier for me to decide in favor of the SR40c!
    ----------------------------------------
    Mike

FYI: Bought mine Early December 2012 at gunshow $399.00

My only complaint about my SR9c is the shitty sites. I am thinking about putting a Crimson Trace on it? I mostly carry mine with the 10 round mag with the pinky extension. I can wear IWB, on my belt, or I just stick it in my back pocket when I go to get the mail or outside for any prolonged period. Great trigger!
    SR9c
    S&W 620
    Kimber Pro Carry II

Quote Originally Posted by Alarm Guy View Post
    My only complaint about my SR9c is the shitty sites. I am thinking about putting a Crimson Trace on it? I mostly carry mine with the 10 round mag with the pinky extension. I can wear IWB, on my belt, or I just stick it in my back pocket when I go to get the mail or outside for any prolonged period. Great trigger!
    I am curious what you didnt like about the sites? I actually really liked them, just not for defensive work.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I too EDC a ruger sr40c and I like it very much. No problems, runs like a dream. If I had any complaints it would be the stiff slide, kinda hard on this old man.
    Kennydale likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I am curious what you didnt like about the sites? I actually really liked them, just not for defensive work.
    They just don't line up well for me. I wish I could shoot it as well as my 1911 or my USP! Of course they both have longer barrels.
    SR9c
    S&W 620
    Kimber Pro Carry II

All I can say is, buy it! I have the SR9c and it has been flawless through 1000 rds. And gets better everytime I fire it. The SR40c is my next buy.

Sent from a gadget

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    I too EDC a ruger sr40c and I like it very much. No problems, runs like a dream. If I had any complaints it would be the stiff slide, kinda hard on this old man.
    Mine is finally wearing in a little easier. I think someone once suggested to leave it open and locked over night?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links