S&W 3rd Gen: Original "short reset" triggers?

This is a discussion on S&W 3rd Gen: Original "short reset" triggers? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've noticed that recently many gun forums/pistol reviews have touted the advantages of having a "short reset" trigger, and many of the popular new pistols ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By smolck
  • 1 Post By zonker1986

Thread: S&W 3rd Gen: Original "short reset" triggers?

S&W 3rd Gen: Original "short reset" triggers?

I've noticed that recently many gun forums/pistol reviews have touted the advantages of having a "short reset" trigger, and many of the popular new pistols are advertised as such to cash in on this interest.

But one thing I've never seen mentioned before is the fact that all the S&W 3rd Gen pistols seem to have a really nice, light, short reset trigger in SA mode.

My 3913, my Model 59, my 457...after reading about the advantages of short reset triggers, I was pretty sure that's what each of them had, so I retested them specifically feeling for the reset distance. Yup, each one has a reset that is the same as (or better than) my Glock 30 or the PPQ I tested.

Can other S&W 3rd Gen owners confirm this?
    Last edited by RicT; July 22nd, 2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: fixed misspelling

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You are right about the reset distance. My biggest gripe with the third generation triggers is my utter inability to put that first DA round anywhere close to its intended destination. Follow-up shots are great, but that first one just doesn't happen for me.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I've never gotten too hung up on reset. Maybe I'm not good enough to know the difference, but my M&Ps have horrendous reset and I shoot them as good as my Glocks.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Agree with Smolck. While a short re-set is nice to have, it doesn't stop me from shooting my M&P's as well as I've ever shot my Glocks.
    Shortest re-set I've seen was on my Taurus 24/7, and a man size target was safe from that gun at five yards.
    Echo_Four likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    The 3913 is one of the best carry pistols ever made. Generations ahead of its time.

Links