opinions on a Charles Daly subcompact 1911s?

opinions on a Charles Daly subcompact 1911s?

This is a discussion on opinions on a Charles Daly subcompact 1911s? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; im looking at a Charles Daly subcompact 1911. I have done some research on them and they all seemed the same, the person who owned ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By TxTchRR

Thread: opinions on a Charles Daly subcompact 1911s?

Question opinions on a Charles Daly subcompact 1911s?

im looking at a Charles Daly subcompact 1911. I have done some research on them and they all seemed the same, the person who owned it had no problems and liked it but "they heard" that they were junk. and I am aware that some smaller 1911 aee finicky. so im gonna put it threw its paces before I carry it.

I believe that I read they went out of business in 2010, but are made in the same plantbthat makes RIA?.. ive owned an RIA in the past and loved it. so if thats the case im definitely intrested in it . so any infonyou fine folks can give me would be appreciated! .

on I side note im a big 1911 fan but I dont own one anymore and want a compact or officers size.

I had a full size in 1999.

I expect a Hi Point would give better reliability. Wasted some money putting some WC parts in. Still junk.

Sold it and was glad to be rid of it. A damned expensive paperweight. FTF, FTE, you name it. Grip safety would hang up. A disgrace to the memory of Mr. Browning. Absolute garbage.

Get a decent 1911.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have only seen a couple, both were at a recent local estate gun auction, not much interest in either, one sold for $280 and the other for $300. Both were LNIB and appeared to have never been fired.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I have not owned one but have researching 1911's as i want one as well. I looked at a charles daly at the lgs. And was 50/50 on it. It seemed reasobaly solid but the fit and finish could have been better imo. When compared to the RIA and other inexpensive 1911 pistols, they were all similar. When compared to the ruger sr1911, it was night and day.
    I would rather spend a little more and get a quality gun from a reputable manufacturer ...the sr1911 can be had for 600-700 dollars and is alot more gun for not much more cost.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Charles Daly doesn't make any of their guns. They simply import (usually lower end) stuff and put their name on it.

I have a couple of Peacemaker clones, Italian made, that I paid less than $200 bucks each for. Daly started to import them, put their stamp on the model and the price was about $450 for the exact same gun.

I would save your money and find something that doesn't have their name on it, but that is just my opinion.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Charles Day 1911's were made in the Phillipines by Shooters Arms. I shot a friends CD 1911, and it was a tank, and pretty well made....had the polymer frame and regular 1911 upper.
    For the right price, I doubt you will be disappointed.....but I would shoot it first to see if it's gonna work for you.

New Rock Island, American Tactial(Shooters Arms), Metro Arms (imported by Bersa) are all 1911's made in the Phillipines. The newer versions I have seen are really starting to look very good....but the prices are getting higher and higher making them less of a value when compared to a Springfield, Ruger or Remington.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

OD*
    Originally Posted by David the Gnome
    ...especially when the economical 1911 market is basically owned by RIA.
    Exactly why we made the decision. We are not in business to compete with our manufacturer. When Armscor decided to sell their own products through RIA, it was only a matter of time before we had to part ways. The situation deteriorated further when Armscor added Hi-Standard and then STI to the list of guns they produce, we said goodbye.

Bul in Israel has been making our polymer framed hi-cap 1911 and they have been anxious to start producing a steel framed gun. We decided to go with them even though we knew competing at the higher price point would be difficult. However, the quality of the production is absolutely incredible. We showed 4 pre-production samples at a recent trade show and we almost had to use a crowbar to get whoever was holding the gun to let go.

We will be formally launching the product line to the full industry at the SHOT Show in 10 days in Orlando. We have named them the "G4" for 4th generation of 1911's from Charles Daly. Here is a pic:

For more information about the guns, as well as a full discussion on how we arrived at the specifications and cosmetics, visit our forum and read this thread:The New G4

Like our entry into the AR market, we have stepped up the quality of what we are selling. It will take some time to prove it to the world, but I think we will be able to do it. The guns are beautiful. Frankly, I'm sorry we didn't do this several years ago when Bul first wanted to. Selling higher quality is always more difficult than selling on price only. We took the easy way for 10 years, but now we are taking the better way.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

If you want a sub compact 1911 that is reliable, I'd look at Kimber. I know the web is full of mixed reviews. But for those of us fortunate enough to own them, we love them. Never had a single failure with mine since I took it out of the box. That was 700 rounds ago. Even went 250 rounds in one sitting with no cleaning and I shot ball and hollow points.

If you must carry a 1911 for defense, this is an option I personally (and many here) have trusted with their lives.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmjoy View Post
    on I side note im a big 1911 fan but I dont own one anymore and want a compact or officers size.
    If you have the funds, I'd look at the Colt Defender or Colt New Agent.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

IMHO, any (every) 1911 variant with < 4" slide requires a dual captured (Seecamp) recoil system to counteract the inherent reliability shortcomings (pardon the pun) of a lighter, shorter slide. That alone is enough reason for my personal decision to avoid models shorter than 4" for EDC. If I DID decide to carry a 3-3.5" 1911 variant, it would have to be from a higher quality (expensive) manufacturer...than Charles Daily.
    smolck likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    IMHO, any (every) 1911 variant with < 4" slide requires a dual captured (Seecamp) recoil system to counteract the inherent reliability shortcomings (pardon the pun) of a lighter, shorter slide. That alone is enough reason for my personal decision to avoid models shorter than 4" for EDC. If I DID decide to carry a 3-3.5" 1911 variant, it would have to be from a higher quality (expensive) manufacturer...than Charles Daily.
    I guess you win some and you lose some, my Citadel 3.5" has been flawless other than a few mag related FTF. Enough so that it is my EDC.

I have a Springfield Armory 3" Micro Compact..
    It was flaky for the first 50 rounds of so, but I think most of the issues were related to the magazine.
    Seems it didn't like Wilson Combat (go figure)
    I tried a Kimber mag and it was fine. Or else the fifty rounds broke it in, who knows?
    Now, it goes bang every time.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    I get a RED RASH all over from low priced 1911s. you get what ya pay for! Try KIMBER..

You might want to look at RIA, Iver Johnson "Thrasher" ,Citadel for a good quality /better priced 1911 compact IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by sealteam20001 View Post
    I get a RED RASH all over from low priced 1911s. you get what ya pay for! Try KIMBER..
    This statement really strikes me as ironic.
    Aceoky likes this.

Sponsored Links