Eeeww! Got to clean that.

This is a discussion on Eeeww! Got to clean that. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm not anal about cleaning my EDC, but I do it at least every couple of weeks - usually after a range trip or ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By miller_man
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 4 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Eeeww! Got to clean that.

Distinguished Member

So I'm not anal about cleaning my EDC, but I do it at least every couple of weeks - usually after a range trip or when I notice it getting dusty looking. I work construction and am around a good bit of construction debris/dust. It doesn't take long for some dust/lint ect. to build up and be noticeable. I will break it down, wipe it off +out and throw it back together and call it good to go.

Well, it was getting to be that time, so I was doing the same ol thing, looked over at my spare mag sitting there and noticed it was looking a little dusty as well. Took out all the rounds and then took apart the mag and found this

065.jpg064.jpg
    This is what it looked like on the outside, not too bad.
    066.jpg

I did the same with the mag that I carry in the gun, it was similar but not quite as bad. Still I was a little shocked that it was that dirty inside. Like I said, I'm not anal about cleaning my guns but I can definitely see that being a problem if left unchecked and building up even more after time. I would bet it would have ran through both mags flawless, that a little dust build up wouldn't really cause a malfunction but not interested in pushing it. I'll now check my mags when I give it a wipe down. Just a friendly reminder to check your mags as well.
    Last edited by miller_man; July 23rd, 2013 at 06:23 AM.
    atctimmy likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    If i am seeing the pictures right that is cruddy . I would go to cleaning every week.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I would bet it would have ran through both mags flawless, that a little dust build up wouldn't really cause a malfunction but not interested in pushing it. I'll now check my mags when I give it a wipe down. Just a friendly reminder to check your mags as well.
    You were betting it.

Good call, in boosting the cleaning regimen. Always, always, always check the magazines when doing a cleaning. And with a consistently-carried gun, definitely, double-check the gun and mags more frequently than an unused gun. As we all know, our lives could depend on it. Good reminder for everyone.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    But.....but......but.....It's a Glock, they don't need any maintenance. They fire first time every time, regardless of how dirty they are!

Seriously though, magazines are often over looked when cleaning, unless a person has been having problems. They are lint and dirt traps. Good reminder.
    fredg53 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The bullet wound din't kilt him...but the crud on the bullet caused an infection that scared the hell out of antibiotics,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Take a look at this: GTUL | It will make Glock mag cleaning a WHOLE lot easier. Tool assists in opening mag and contains a brush to scrub out the insides. Do 10 mags in about 10 minutes! Well worth the cost.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

That is just nasty.

Guns carried daily can get pretty nasty if you are sweating, working in dirty conditions or simply from clothes lint.

But don't feel bad, we have all had the same experience at one time or another I am sure.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    A nice blast of compressed air might do the trick on a mag.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Links