Kimber Break-in Question

This is a discussion on Kimber Break-in Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First a little backstory. I have a Kimber Pro Carry II that I'm breaking in. The problem I'm having is that when I first start ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Break-in Question

Kimber Break-in Question

First a little backstory. I have a Kimber Pro Carry II that I'm breaking in. The problem I'm having is that when I first start shooting it I'm having around 7 FTF's in the first 50 rounds. After that nothing for the next 100 or so. It's done it the last two times I've shot it so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

Sometimes it feels like the slide is going forward a little late. Like after the shot, a second later or not even a second I can feel it slam forward. I've also noticed it will ftf sometimes if I use the slide release instead of pulling the slide back and letting it go manually. Perhaps a recoil spring problem?

Am I using too much lube (I'm being rather sparse with it, but it might be too much)? Has it not broken in enough yet? The manual says 300-500 rounds and I'm at 400 now. Any tips would be appreciated. I really want this handgun to work out because it shoots like a dream.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

2. Remove Ads

if you are using the Kimber magazines, they are most likely the problem. get some Wilson Combat magazines. i had the same problem with the stock Kimber magazines. have not had a single problem since i switched to the Wilsons.

I have 2 wilson 47D's that I'm using. I read that the Kimber magazines will scratch the frame of the Pro Carry because it's aluminum, so I've never once used them.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I have an Ultra Carry II and initially it was driving me buggy with FTF's. Mine was much worse than yours but I was patient and persistant. It took about 800 rounds before it smoothed out, it's now my #2 (Pocket) carry gun.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

+1 on the Wilson mags. The factory mags that came with your Kimber aren't the greatest however, the KimPro mags are a step above. I also have a Pro Carry and a Compact CDP. Both out of the box...there was NEVER a problem, but I did ditch the factory mags and replaced them with the Wilson. Whatever mags you do use, make sure that the follower has forward lip on them. The follower is shaped like and L. If not, the round tends to advance a little too far when cycling and therefore will damage the feed ramp. I think the new Kimbers coming out have the L. Your Kimber has some pretty tight tolerances. I don't think you're oiling it too much, just make sure you oil it enough though. With the new mags and another 100 or so rounds, you should be set.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Mags most likely , but i would re spring it too , and use moderate lube on it , heavyer lube for break in than normal , but not just dripping out either .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    If you did a proper F&B on the weapon AND on the mags prior to shooting for the first time ......and......if your using Wilson mags that you have done a load break in on......and......if the weapon is properly lubed(grease, no oil)......and......if your not limp wristing......and......your using the right ammo......and......if the recoil spring is of the proper tension........then you are simply dreaming.

Just kiddin'. I did/checked for,all of the above on both of my Kimbers. Neither one has ever had a stoppage.

As stated above,Kimbers are a tight weapon. I feel that the break in period can be a little longer than stated by Kimber or by some of the other pistol guru's.

I feel that the single biggest contributor to a FTF in a pistol is the mags that are used. I always buff the feed lips of new mags(even my Wilsons)and check for allignment. If the feed lips are not perfectly alligned this can slow down the slide just enough to give you a incomplete feed and lockup. I put a round in my mag and slowly push it forward with a pencil eraser. Every place it touches the mag,I buff.

I'm not a pistol guru. This is simply my "take" on the pistol problems. -------

I guess I just need to take it further through the break-in without worrying so much. I've just read a lot online of people that say they've had no problems from the get go and this pistol has had more FTF's than any other pistol I've owned.

It's not through the break-in yet though, so time will tell. It did seem to feed HP's well though, so that's something.

Thanks everyone for their opinions. Are there any other magazines that have the plastic follower that I could try (that are good, besides Wilson). I'd like to make sure it's not the mags.

SammyIamToday,

I used to be a fan of Wilson's but recently switched to Tripp Cobra mags for both my full size 1911's and my Stinger (officer's grip).

Read here for features: http://www.trippresearch.com/product...s/features.htm

The bottom line is, they have a plastic follower with a steel insert to insure slide lock, and they have a longer mag tube to accommodate a longer/heavier spring. They really are a well made mag and I like them better than the Wilson's they replaced.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

I Have Two Kimber's...

a Pro CDP II, and an Ultra CDP II.

I still have for Kimber mags for each and I have never had any difficulty...
    My Pro has 1,200+ rounds through it, and the Ultra has 600+ rounds...no problems with anything...

Gotta love those Kimber's!!!!! What a pain to clean though...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Kimber break in

I have an Ultra CDP II, I also went to Wilson Mags and switched the springs and followers out of the Kimber mags to Wilson's polymer followers. That didn't solve my problems of 7-10 FTF every 100 rounds and I lost confidence in the gun. After 1100 rounds the gun went back to Kimber (on their dime) and they worked on 6 separate parts that were out of spec. It has now been a perfect shooter for 300 rounds. A couple more 100 round errorless range sessions and I might just trust it to carry. If at 800 rounds it still is having problems, send it back. Their turn around time was under 10 days on my gun. Mike Z
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen.'' Warren vs District of Columbia

I'll keep that in mind. Although I might have busted my warranty by having an ambidex safety installed at the gun store where I bought it.

intrested in a helpfull way to help break in with out using a ton of ammo?

course you will have sore arms

Like everyone else has said it could be the mags. I personally don't have a problem with mine. Or you could just need to shoot more rounds through the gun to break it in. Eventually it will clear up.
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

Just got back from the range. I have a CustomII TLE. I now have about 800 rounds through it not one problem. I used both the original mag and my wilson combat mags. Not one problem. Shot both hollow points and copper jacketed reloads, not one problem..
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links