Transporting a rifle. Oh, it's not mine. (TX)

This is a discussion on Transporting a rifle. Oh, it's not mine. (TX) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A buddy of mine has asked me to transport a rifle that he has purchased from someone, since I'm in the seller's city and I'm ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By archer51
  • 2 Post By farronwolf

Thread: Transporting a rifle. Oh, it's not mine. (TX)

Transporting a rifle. Oh, it's not mine. (TX)

A buddy of mine has asked me to transport a rifle that he has purchased from someone, since I'm in the seller's city and I'm visiting him soon.

We are both in Texas. Is there anything I should be concerned about? Do I need some special paperwork to do this? The rifle is not mine.

2. Remove Ads

New Member Array Orphanedcowboy's Avatar
    IMO: Nope, if you can legally own a firearm, you're good to go.

I may be wrong, I wonder if the ATF would consider this a straw purchase?

Sent from my Tesla coil

How could it be a straw purchase if the one guy is merely transporting it for the other guy. Surely the ATF is smart enuf to finger that out if it were to even come up?
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    If it was a individual to individual sale there is no paperwork the ATF would even know about.
    dukalmighty and ChrisATX like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The one problem you may run into is this,as far as buying from a dealer IIRC you can buy long guns in an adjoining state to your home state including private sales,but you cannot legally buy a handgun or long gun in another state not adjoining yours and take possession of it there,it would need to be transferred from a dealer there to a dealer in your home state,your buddy may be asking you to break the law.
    Somebody like HOTGUNS will know for sure
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The one problem you may run into is this,as far as buying from a dealer IIRC you can buy long guns in an adjoining state to your home state including private sales,but you cannot legally buy a handgun or long gun in another state not adjoining yours and take possession of it there,it would need to be transferred from a dealer there to a dealer in your home state,your buddy may be asking you to break the law.
    He said both are in TX, but you raise an important point Texans need to keep in mind regarding long guns. As I understand it, this restriction on long guns is a TX thing and maybe a few other states do it too, but it state law, backed by ATF regs.

E.g., As a Texan I can't buy a shotgun in CT because it isn't an adjacent state to TX. OTOH, the CT FFL was willing
    to sell to my son who lives in PA because PA doesn't have the "adjacent state" law for long guns.
    Complicated stuff, and one can never be 100% sure what the rules /law are.

Agree-- OP should ask HG.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

...if you're not prohibited from owning a firearm, and it's a legal rifle...not fully auto or too short, no problem...no laws in Texas about long guns in the car...doesn't even have to be concealed, as does a handgun...
    Quote Originally Posted by otley View Post
    A buddy of mine has asked me to transport a rifle that he has purchased from someone, since I'm in the seller's city and I'm visiting him soon.

We are both in Texas. Is there anything I should be concerned about? Do I need some special paperwork to do this? The rifle is not mine.

...this is all taking place within Texas, according to the OP''s post...no problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Would this be any different if your friend was at your house with the rifle and lent it to you for a while and then when you were done you brought it back to him?

Quote Originally Posted by otley View Post

I can only assume that it is an individual to individual sale, since if he bought it from an FFL he would have had to been there to fill out the 4473 and sign for the gun and could have taken it home right then and there.

There is nothing that has to be done to transport a firearm in Texas that isn't yours. I have lent and borrowed guns, both rifles and pistols, to and from friends and it is not an issue.

The ONLY thing I would be concerned about in transporting a firearm I don't know anything about is that it isn't a stolen firearm or prohibited weapon like Snub44 mentioned.
    Snub44 and Aceoky like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

...farronwolf, I had to laugh at myself...stolen never crossed my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...farronwolf, I had to laugh at myself...stolen never crossed my mind...
    These days you never know.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links