Shield 9mm or .40?

Shield 9mm or .40?

This is a discussion on Shield 9mm or .40? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Apologies if this has been done to death, but I'm a newbie to pistols. I was browsing the M&P Shield as a companion to my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Shield 9mm or .40?

Shield 9mm or .40?

Apologies if this has been done to death, but I'm a newbie to pistols.

I was browsing the M&P Shield as a companion to my Barretta 92FS 9mm. I'm not fixated on this particular gun, but just trying to learn more about the different choices.
    The SW site describes that the Shield is available in 9mm and .40 calibers. What is the difference?
    I have plenty of 9mm ammo in my stockpile at this point (for the 92), so that would be more efficient, but I don't know anything about 40 cal.

Any opinions would be welcome.

And I should mention that NJ does not allow carry unless you are in LE, so these are strictly range and HD guns here, if that makes any difference.

First I'd say 9mm. But if you don't plan to carry the gun then why bother getting a subcompact? If you plan to carry it around your home/property go for it. But subcompacts aren't that fun to shoot and in terms of ballistics you will get better results out of bigger guns with longer barrels.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I bought an XDm 3.8 9mm and was going to use it for my EDC. For some reason, the gun was just not a good fit in any holster I tried and seemed cumbersome. I ended up selling it locally and bought a Glock 23 Gen 4. The Glock just feels better to me and I cannot really explain why, and I do like the idea of having a .40 over a 9mm for extra punch although I felt totally safe and confident in my 9mm's performance. To be honest, my Kel Tec P3AT is so easy to carry and use it is almost my favorite gun. I hate it at the range but I would totally trust it in a SD situation. I guess it goes back to the answer that makes the most sense with these types of questions, personal preference and feel. Good luck!
    Give a man a fish, he will eat. Teach a man to fish, his wife and family will never see him on weekends!

I bought the Shield in 9 mm because I wanted to carry (in IL...one magical day) and have that one extra round. However, so far it seems that .40 is easier to come by.

The shield IMHO is not a subcompact an actually shoots like a full size gun very easy to handle, I have the 9mm an it is very reliable feeds everything.

The difference between the 9mm and 4o is signifiacant. The .40 cal is a high pressure load and has more recoil than the 9mm, but also has more "power". That is why there is not a 40
    +p round. In a small gun such as the shield, the 40 cal may have more felt recoil than the 9mm. Some do not like the 40 cal because of this. I shoot 40 cal , but my pocket guns have all been 9mm, because 40 cal has been more than i liked in terms of recoil due tp the diminished weight in sub compact guns.
    I would look for a 9mm for two reasons...you already have a healthy supply, and you have a 2nd that will eat it as well.
    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

No question in my mind that you should go with 9mm. Forget that stuff about 40 cal being easier to find right now. Its easier because fewer want it.

You dont have the muzzle flip with 9mm, that you do with 40 cal, and you give up capacity, in an already small weapon, for zero benefit in ballistic gain.

Also 9mm costs less to shoot, and I assume you will want to practice/train with it.

Btw, you can find 9mm ammo out there, and at a reasonable price. Though, it might take some effort on your part.

While the Shield shoots like a full size gun and I run it round for round with my glock 19, I would not own one if I couldn't carry. The Shield is a carry gun period (IMO) I would definitely get a full size gun If I were you

Agreed. The shield is made or carry. If you won't carry it get something larger.

Thanks all. It seems that my eyes are bigger than my stomach, so to speak. My current 92FS is really all I need, since I can't conceal anyway. It's the gun crack effect.

GH
    If it's just going to be used at the range go for a larger gun. I'm partial to .40 cal but that's because I carried that caliber & qualified on it when I worked armed security & my son carries it as a police officer. That seems to be the predominate caliber of choice for PDs. I carry the full size M&P 40 & have an M&P 40 compact on order. I carried what was essentially the 92FS when I was in the Army which was known as the M9. I wasn't really in love with it but I had also carried the 1911 .45 in the Navy & the Army back when that was the issued handgun, a gun which I loved.

As a rule 9MM is cheaper when it can be found & for a range caliber it's ideal. Between my Navy & Army years I had a 1911 style 9MM which was a lot of fun to shoot.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

If your itching to buy a new gun you should get a full size M&P the Shield as others have stated is made to carry. Or why not get the Shield to carry at home and on your property? My wife and I always have a gun on our hip while at home, she carries the Shield 9mm and I carry the M&P 40c.
    Manderinobyebye likes this.
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Distinguished Member
    Really really like my S&W .40, and ammo is easy to find. .38 for personal carry, .40, 2 mags for zombie attacks.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

I guess I'm more looking for opinions on the difference in the ballistics in case of zombie attacks. Is the 40 cal worth it over the 9mm in terms of having to stock yet another size round?

Or just go with a .45 full size, maybe a 1911 or similar? As some noted, there is no point to getting a compact if carry is not allowed here. I just feel dopey getting yet another 9mm as the one I have is fine.

Get an M&P 40c with a factory 9mm barrel and a few 9mm mags for it. Best of both worlds that's what I did.
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links