securing firearm in vehicle

This is a discussion on securing firearm in vehicle within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; According to Nebraska statutes, I can have a gun in public parking lots near prohibited places but I'm required to put the gun in a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: securing firearm in vehicle

According to Nebraska statutes, I can have a gun in public parking lots near prohibited places but I'm required to put the gun in a locking glove box or in a lockbox that is permanently attached to the car. Since my Sig Sauer 1911 or my S&W .387 (model 686) won't fit in my glove box I was wondering if anyone can suggest some way to secure the gun within the cab. I drive a 2002 Mustang. Even if I put the gun in the trunk, it still has to be put in a permanently mounted lockbox - the problem with that is that I have to secure the weapon before I get out of the car. I suppose I can spend more money and buy another gun that will fit inside the glovebox, also. I guess it isn't secure enough to just lock the car doors.

I keep the case that my pistol came in in my car with 2 cable locks.
    1 lock on case only the other thru case and metal bracket under rear seat of SUV.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ki7rw1 View Post
    the problem with that is that I have to secure the weapon before I get out of the car.
    does it specifically say you must secure it before? could you pull down back seat and place in back, then get out of car and go to trunk and finish securing it?

I guess it isn't secure enough to just lock the car doors.
    no no no. dont do that. someone sees your gun inside your car loose and they will break in to get it. just search around the internet for a cheap lockbox, most for vehicles have a cable like a bike cable.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Quote Originally Posted by squid86 View Post
    does it specifically say you must secure it before? could you pull down back seat and place in back, then get out of car and go to trunk and finish securing it?
    Yes, it specifically says that the gun has to be secured before I get out of the car. I have a fold down rear seat so I could crawl back there to put it in the trunk. Or I could just leave the gun at home.

no no no. dont do that. someone sees your gun inside your car loose and they will break in to get it. just search around the internet for a cheap lockbox, most for vehicles have a cable like a bike cable.
    I would never leave the gun visible when away from the car. I can put the 1911 in the center console (but not the .357) - it'll be out of sight but there's no locking mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by tanninman View Post
    I keep the case that my pistol came in in my car with 2 cable locks.
    1 lock on case only the other thru case and metal bracket under rear seat of SUV.
    I have 1 cable lock that came with the 1911 and the case can be locked with padlocks.

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar

The Club Personal Vault ? Winner International Online Store It doesn't permanently secure to the car . It does with a calbe to the seat frame. But that maybe all thats need otherwise you need to bolt something down. I use it. You can still pry it open. A glove box would be easier to pry. But this works well

I would rarely leave a firearm in my car, but for those times when there is no choice and it's for a brief period of time...I use one of these.
    In Car Gun Lockers
    You can attach it under a seat, or in another 'hard to find' space in the vehicle.
    It works and it is economical.
    357and40 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Firearm Safes - Portable Gun Safe - NanoVault | GunVault

I have one of these, my kids got it for me for Christmas, I have drilled it and bolted it under the front seat of my jeep. Will fit my full size Px4 or my SCCY compact. I actually used two 5/8 steel bolts to bolt it to the floor with 2 in fender washers, I dont think it will pry out of the car without first removing the seat. But a determined theif could probably remove it quickly, but I dont know if the guns would be in working order afterwards. If i was really worried I would spot weld the nuts on the bolt under the frame of the car.
    357and40 likes this.

I have 1 cable lock that came with the 1911 and the case can be locked with padlocks.
    Exactly,a very determined thief could still get it if there was time but no system is perfect. I have read stories about big money gun safes that are broken into.
    You just have to figure out how to secure it before you get out.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
    The Club Personal Vault ? Winner International Online Store It doesn't permanently secure to the car . It does with a calbe to the seat frame. But that maybe all thats need otherwise you need to bolt something down. I use it. You can still pry it open. A glove box would be easier to pry. But this works well
    I have "The Club", and although it does seem to be a better made option than most of the other cheap vaults, it won't hold a 1911 like the op says he has. I know, I tried with mine, and it's not even close. Maybe if you have a 3" ultra carry, but that would be close. I've got my 2" SP101 in there along with a box of 20 Hornady XTP's, and it's full!

I have this: Aries Automotive - ARIES SECURITY BOX

It's bolted to the floorboard of my Jeep. The lockbox part comes out and opens up so you can stow the gun, then it locks into the base. My full-size 1911 fits, plus a magazine.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by tanninman View Post
    Exactly,a very determined thief could still get it if there was time but no system is perfect. I have read stories about big money gun safes that are broken into.
    You just have to figure out how to secure it before you get out.
    I guess that's why insurance is necessary. I'm sure that there's a reason why I can't simply put the gun in the console and just lock the car doors but I'll "play". The gun wouldn't be visible if I put it in the console. I guess they want the gun to be double locked?

I was going to try locking the 1911 case to the underside of a seat but the 1911 box is too big to fit under the seat. Besides, the cable lock is so short it would make access inconvenient. I'll take a look at this other stuff that you guys recommended if Cabelas doesn't have something that'll work. Gotta pick up an order anyway.

Greeting from a (transplanted) fellow Cornhusker.

After reading the statutes, I realized the glove box probably wasn't sufficient. I bought a small combo safe that fits under my front seat and attaches to the seat post with a cable. It's long enough that I can reach around behind the seat, put it on the center console, lock my gun and stash it back under the seat.

I read a great suggestion somewhere on line. Go to a craft store and buy some adhesive backed velcro. Use the stiff hook pieces and mount it on the bottom of the safe so it won't slide around when it's under the seat.

Works like a champ for me. If someone breaks into the vehicle, chances are they won't see the lock box. If they do, it's a lot harder to get into than the glove box.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links