Lefty looking to get into .45 CCW anyone have experience with Bersa Thunder UC?

This is a discussion on Lefty looking to get into .45 CCW anyone have experience with Bersa Thunder UC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've mentioned this before here and am still in my research phase so my "wants" list changes. I am interested in a .45 for carry ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By high pockets
  • 1 Post By Str8upguy
  • 1 Post By lee n. field
  • 1 Post By Zweet

Thread: Lefty looking to get into .45 CCW anyone have experience with Bersa Thunder UC?

Lefty looking to get into .45 CCW anyone have experience with Bersa Thunder UC?

I've mentioned this before here and am still in my research phase so my "wants" list changes. I am interested in a .45 for carry and my main "wants" are short grip height (somewhere around the height of a G19), ambi-safety (a good grip safety would be a plus), and low weight. I'd like to keep the price below $700 if possible.

I like the 1911 platform for the thumb and grip safety and have researched a bobtailed S&W, Colt Defender (tho I'd have to add a ambi safety), and Ruger SR1911 (the grip height is high) and I can't find the perfect combination of what I'm looking for.

I ran across a Bersa Thunder UC in .45 and I like the controls and setup for that pistol. Does anyone here have any experience with Bersa as a CCW specifically the .45? I have heard others mention the 9mm here, but not the .45.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

wondering, do you have a place where you can rent and shoot all these pistols?

Not sure I understand what you mean by a beavertailed 1911 having a grip that is too high.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Sig P250, that way if you change your mind and want another size or caliber you only have to buy another frame and move it's innerds to the new one.
    For God, Family and Country!

By bobtail I meant a rounded butt on the grip. The grip height that I'm talking about is the length of the hand grip from top of slide down to bottom of the magazine. For me, that is the critical dimension for concealability seconded by slide width.

As far as shooting goes, I have fired a S&W 1911 and it shot and felt well...I was more concerned with the reliability and quality of a Bersa over time.

Don't have a Bersa 45, but do have the BP9CC and am VERY happy with it.

Look at the Springfield armory xds, it's my everyday carry, small and thin

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Bersa seems to be highly underrated. I, too, am considering a Thunder Pro UC45. I have an older Para P14, but it is a little too large & heavy for CC. I guess, in your case, it depends on whether or not a grip safety is a deal breaker.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

With the Bersa I would feel more comfortable without the grip safety as it is DA/SA. I think that if the Bersa is reliable and the size works out (I am worried about its thickness some), that I would be fine with it though I do wonder if there are many lefty holsters available for it. That's something I need to check into.

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikera67 View Post
    Look at the Springfield armory xds, it's my everyday carry, small and thin

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    +1

I have just started carrying a XDs and it is amazing easy carry, as compared to my XD sub-compact. It's basically the same size, length, but being thinner and lighter makes concealment surprisingly easy.

My CC is the Bersa Firestorm .45, which I believe is almost identical to the Thunder (the crossbreed holster I use was originally for the Thunder and it fits perfect). I love it, was the first gun I ever bought and have owned it for close on 10 years. It shoots as good as both 9mm's that I own despite being over 1"-2" shorter barrel.

It is a heavy gun tho', and the 7 round mag is limiting, also the safety is quite large and not easy to conceal.

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

I have a Bersa UC 45. All I can say is it is a great gun. I have 3 Bersas and they are all accurate, dependable and easy to break down and clean. Can't go wrong with one unless you just really want to spend more money. Then you have a more expensive gun, but not a better one. good luck
    sensei2 likes this.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    I've mentioned this before here and am still in my research phase so my "wants" list changes. I am interested in a .45 for carry and my main "wants" are short grip height (somewhere around the height of a G19), ambi-safety (a good grip safety would be a plus), and low weight. I'd like to keep the price below $700 if possible.

I like the 1911 platform for the thumb and grip safety and have researched a bobtailed S&W, Colt Defender (tho I'd have to add a ambi safety), and Ruger SR1911 (the grip height is high) and I can't find the perfect combination of what I'm looking for.

I ran across a Bersa Thunder UC in .45 and I like the controls and setup for that pistol. Does anyone here have any experience with Bersa as a CCW specifically the .45? I have heard others mention the 9mm here, but not the .45.

Thanks in advance.
    No CCW specific experience. Legal CCW is a few months away yet for this benighted people's republic.

I picked up a Bersa Thunder UC .45 a couple winters ago. This is not the Pro version.

Once I worked through some issues with my handloads, I have had no ammo issues whatsoever. It's reliable, and shoots where I point it. Controls are ambidextrous, with the exception of the magazine release which is reversible. The safety works the way 1911 people like it -- frame mounted, up is safe, down is fire.

The safety raises a hammer block, decocks the hammer and disconnects the trigger.

The nickel plating on mine has flaked up in a couple places. If you read around, this is not unknown with the Bersas. If it happens and bothers you, let Bersa deal with it.

Warranty is to the first buyer. Parts prices are very reasonable.

With my fat hands, I tend to get hammer bite if I'm not careful how I hold it. Magazines are pricier than you'd expect, if you're used to 1911 magazines.

Breaking it down for cleaning is trivially easy.

It does take pretty big hands to work with. Try and handle one before buying it.

Don't have a Bersa 45, but do have the BP9CC and am VERY happy with it.
    Completely different pistol, unfortunately.
    wondering likes this.

To the OP, have you considered the Glock 36 45acp 6+1 and conceals well?
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Odessa FL, South Pasco County, Tampa Bay Area
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8upguy View Post
    I have a Bersa UC 45. All I can say is it is a great gun. I have 3 Bersas and they are all accurate, dependable and easy to break down and clean. Can't go wrong with one unless you just really want to spend more money. Then you have a more expensive gun, but not a better one. good luck
    What he said....I've carried my T45UC almost daily since I bought it in '05... I would not trade even-up for (most) any other 'pricey' pistols. Never had a FT-Anything with it...ever. I shoot walmart 230gr white box for 'check runs', and carry 185gr +P hydra-shocks for SD loads...It's happy with either.

I do admit though a few months back, buying a NAA .22 mini-mag, for occasional hot weather carry...That one easily conceals under just a t-shirt...the Bersa in it's Blade-Tech IWB, is a little to bulky to keep well concealed, unless wearing an untucked outer shirt.

I can't say much in regard to the newer models, I've never even seen one closeup. But if you can find a good condition UC model, I'd grab it without hesitation.

Best, FLc

You say you like the 1911 platform but the normal commander is to long in grip,have you looked at the cco models? Commander slide with officer grips. Many have 7 round mags so you don't lose anything on capacity.
    Sig RCS/C3 or if money isn't an issue check out the Dan Wesson CCO. Other companies make them too. Perfect mix imo.
    Aceoky likes this.

Links