New Redesigned LCP or Bodyguard

This is a discussion on New Redesigned LCP or Bodyguard within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys I am waiting for my CHL to come in so I can carry a firearm outside of my car. Anyway, I am looking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New Redesigned LCP or Bodyguard

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar

New Redesigned LCP or Bodyguard

Hey guys I am waiting for my CHL to come in so I can carry a firearm outside of my car. Anyway, I am looking at getting a small .380 ACP for pocket carry. I know the .380 aint the biggest "power house" of a cartridge but I'd rather have a small caliber than an M-1 Abrams tank sitting at the house. I have come down to the new LCP (better trigger and sights) and to the bodyguard from S&W. I don't really care for the laser idea because it isn't worth it in a tactical situation; but that's my opinion. I like the lock on last round on the S&W which is one of the big things. Also the Sig 238 is out because of the price. a $600 .380 just isn't worth it to me.Also any suggestions to concider are helpful too.

2. Remove Ads

I carry the bodyguard 380 and I love it. I looked at the LCP (prior to the improvements) and decided the bodyguard felt a little better and had better sights in addition to the last round hold open. I still think the sights are better even after handling an updated LCP. While the laser is disregarded by many, I feel that it is a nice addition for low light situations. It hasn't failed me yet after about 500 rounds through it. I did take the liberty of putting some blue loctite on the screw on the laser cover just as a preventative measure after reading complaints about it backing out. It didn't happen to me but I didn't give it a chance to happen.

LCP. The laser activation on the Bodyguard is a joke. The LCP is a gun that can go everywhere except the shower and never be noticed. I don't have any experience with the updated LCP but I love my 1st Gen LCP.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I bought the bodyguard for my sister last Aug.A couple of months later,we were at range,and,the slide wouldn't lock back empty.I couldn't get it to do anything.

I called S&W.They sent me a shipping bill,and they didn't keep it long.What they said happened,was the screw in the laser was loose.I bought it with the laser,but,i wanted her to learn without using it for a while.Anyway,she said she ran about 250 rds back thru it,and had no problems.

I have the LCP 380 but,it doesn't have the laser.The trigger pull,is a little long,but,no big deal to me.

You just have to figure out,what's best for you.

The S&W has a thumb safety, which I do not care for. I prefer the simpler LCP.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I love my Bodyguard 380.The safety and the laser is really no issue to me.I did fire both the LCP and BG prior to purchase and the BG felt much better in my hands.
    As stated above,a bit of Loctite was added to the screws under the slide and after 200 rounds they haven't backed out.

Not gun related....

Wannabe, just noticed your name. Good for you. I have been a CPA almost 30 years now and still enjoy what i do as much as i did when i first started. I hope you accomplish your goal. A CPA opens many doors as far as job opportunities. Public accounting (my field), private, governmental, law enforcement (my CPA neighbor is in the DEA) to name a few. Good luck. We need more CPA gun enthusiasts.
    NRA Life Member
    Second Amendment Foundation Supporter

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by p3at View Post
    Not gun related....

Wannabe, just noticed your name. Good for you. I have been a CPA almost 30 years now and still enjoy what i do as much as i did when i first started. I hope you accomplish your goal. A CPA opens many doors as far as job opportunities. Public accounting (my field), private, governmental, law enforcement (my CPA neighbor is in the DEA) to name a few. Good luck. We need more CPA gun enthusiasts.
    Hey thank you. I just graduated with my associates and next month I start on my bachelor's. I am currently looking to get into my field now in the Beaumont, TX area. I got a job and thought it was in accounting but it wasn't. I'll keep doing this till I can get into the field.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Distinguished Member
    Don't have a 380 but do own a S&W .38 Bodyguard revolver. Love it! No safety on it, and the laser I just use to play with the cats. I also call it my parking lot gun because I can use it up close going to and from my vehicle. So in a sense, the laser (to me) isn't necessary. The gun shoots straight without the laser, feels good in my hands. Now for bigger parking lots and zombie attacks I bring the S&W .40 semi (with back up mag of course).

The +1 on both guns, ammo is easy to find!
    GOA Member
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Having handled and shot both, here is my opinion:

Bodyguard has better sights and trigger pull

LCP has better internal parts (bodyguard's firing pin is known to break after a few hundred rounds.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

The 238 is on sale for 4 something at Academy. It would not be my first choice for pocket carry though. I would go with the LCP.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I do like night sights, but never liked the idea of a laser. For a number of reasons, one being it seems that its apt to end up a distraction that costs you time in getting on target.

Pocket guns are going to be used in close encounters, and I dont see lots of use for a laser, in those situations.

Am I totally missing out, or what?
    Sarge45 likes this.

Gun test Magazine recently ran tests on both model Bodyguards, and failed both of them. testers said they wouldn't buy one, too many failures! They don't do any advertising, so I think their tests are much more objective than most. Look it up...it'll be worth your while. Ruger all the way on this one.

I saw a used LCP (original style) with a LaserLyte side-mounted unit. I thought that tiny little pistol would be something for my grandudes to shoot (cuz they're getting "antsy" just getting allowed to shoot my 22's...). Used. Good price. Small. Got it and took it to zero the laser. Wow! I liked it so much I think I'll find some use for it, myself. The dudes haven't even gotten to shoot it yet, but it's a classy, well-made little weapon that you can put almost ANYwhere! Like the OP, I'd rather have a .380 on me than a .45 back at home! So for a quick, grab-n-go gun "just to have" the LCP is a good deal. I'm wearing mine in a belly-band at this very moment, waiting to go out for a while with some friends.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

LCP I like that it does not have a thumb safety and it can be carried in any clothing
    Sister likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links