9mm 1911 Questions

This is a discussion on 9mm 1911 Questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know...I know...talking about 1911s in any thing other than .45 ACP is like talking about Darth Vader's voice with anybody but James Earl Jones...you ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: 9mm 1911 Questions

Distinguished Member

9mm 1911 Questions

I know...I know...talking about 1911s in any thing other than .45 ACP is like talking about Darth Vader's voice with anybody but James Earl Jones...you just don't do it. Sacrilege! 1911 heresy! I'm just going to say...I'm a 9mm guy. This post is not to talk about 9mm vs .45, stopping power, capacity, shot placement, etc. It is simply to ask if any of the 1911 folks in the DC world own a 1911 in 9mm. If you do, do you like it? Who made it? Would you go with another maker? Do regret buying it? Do you regret not going with one in .45? Blah Blah Blah...you get the point. Also would like to know who makes them? I know Colt makes one in the Defender Series. S&W makes them in the SW1911. Kimber makes a couple of it's 1911s available in 9mm. Where else can I be looking? Like I said...I'm just starting my research.

As always...thanks for the help. The DC community is always great for "lending a hand" and sharing insight and expertise with other's that are just starting out on the journey. Thanks!
    Sap03 and bmcgilvray like this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

2. Remove Ads

I don't own one ... yet. But I just might one day.

About five years ago I got to spend a long afternoon with a dead stock 9mm Colt Series 70 Government Model belonging to a friend's brother. This was the first and only 1911 in 9mm that I've ever got to shoot but I got to shoot the hooey out of it. Really relished shooting it. Felt very familiar and comfy to use. Hit where it looked. Fed everything that was on hand to shoot through it, FMJ, JHPs, cast lead handloads. A full-sized 1911 is not often considered these days when this generation of shooters is selecting a 9mm pistol but this geezer can confidently say that he would favorably consider one.
    QKShooter likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I don't own a 1911 in 9mm, but I would pick one up in a heartbeat if the price was right (leaving aside the lesser brands, like RIA). Just like bmcgilvray, I've shot a friend's 9mm 1911 and it's a hoot!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I own a Dan Wesson ECO in 9mm. Excellent firearm and she is my handgun Safe Queen.
    Dan Wesson ECO.jpg

Two Sig P938 which are 9mm. I carry them often.
    P938 Nightmare.jpg

Sig P938 bi-tone.jpg

Colt Defender in 45. This is an excellent firearm and is in the carry rotation. I'm sure the 9mm will be excellent as well. I think it would be a great choice for you. If I was going to buy another 1911 for everyday carry and I wanted a 9mm, this would be the one I'd buy.
    Colt Defender.png

Sig Ultra Compact in 45. This is also an excellent firearm and is in the carry rotation.
    Sig Ultra Compact 1911.jpg
    blitzburgh and bmcgilvray like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Springfield EMP. It took a few hundred rounds of "polishing" but now feeds well, the best trigger I own and great accuracy likely due to the low recoil compared to .45. The only complaints are the ambi safety and an appearance that I wish was a little uglier so it wouldn't bother me to scratch or scuff.
    Life is too short to shoot ugly guns.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I always thought the Springfield EMP in 9mm is a sexy looking gun especially if you want a officer model 1911 considering the .45 ACP in that size is known to have reliability issues. I wouldn't mine owning one of those.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I once shot a Para in 9mm. It was as sweet, soft, accurate shooting a pistol you could imagine, being a steel 1911 only pushing a 9mm. As a range gun, it is very nice.

Are you looking at a single stack? If it is a SD pistol in 9mm, I believe in lots of smaller bullets. Capacity is the advantage of the 9mm. 9mm is a capable round in 147gr. JHP, but it is no 230gr. .45. Up the capacity from 8 to 15+ and you gain tactical advantages. If you are shopping single stacks, stay with a .45, as you have erased the advantage of carrying a 9 (capacity).

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Are you looking at a single stack?
    Not really...at least I don't think so...now you've got me thinking about it...hhhmmm. But as of right now, I've got my EDC. So I'm looking at the 1911 as part of the "icing on the cake." I don't need one...just want one. And for me here...bigger as in full size is better. The 1911 is a great gun, great platform, classic design. I feel like every collection should have at least one. But I still want to get a feel for what is out there in 9mm thus the questions.

Some really good insight here. Looking forward to what some other takes are on the topic.
    Last edited by OD*; July 26th, 2013 at 07:32 AM.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

My EDC is a 1911 and i would buy a 9mm if the price were right, shoot i'd buy one in many different cals.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

I think a 9mm 5'' 1911 would be the Cadillac of range guns. I can imagine tearing up some steel plates with one of those bad boys..sounds like fun to me.
    I wish colt offered a 9mm govt. or commander

VIP Member
    For some reason, I've always overlooked 9mm until recently. Now, I can't get enough of it! I too would like a 1911 in 9mm (and .38 Super and .357SIG, but that's another thread).

I feel no shame in saying an RIA (my first and only 1911) is the 1911 bug that bit me.. now I just want more, more, and more! Thankfully the wealth of information here and knowledgeable members will be able to steer me (and you as well OP) in the right direction when it comes to stepping up a few rungs on the 1911 ladder when I'm able to afford to do so. :)
    bmcgilvray, Aceoky and Rigrat like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

the 1911 bug is worse than literally any other pistol platform bug...and I thought I was addicted to glocks..
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    the 1911 bug is worse than literally any other pistol platform bug...and I thought I was addicted to glocks..
    You ain't lying. Ever since I got my first one, they seem to be all I look at / research (well, except for wheelies - which IMO is just as "bad" of a bug).
    bmcgilvray and Rigrat like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    I think a 9mm 5'' 1911 would be the Cadillac of range guns. I can imagine tearing up some steel plates with one of those bad boys..sounds like fun to me.
    I wish colt offered a 9mm govt. or commander
    I don't keep up with things and was surprised to be unable to find a 9mm Government Model on Colt's site. Guess they're not making them for now.
    Colt's Manufacturing LLC

Colt did make them for a number of years. They're out there.

Colt Series 80 M1991A1 9mm 1911 Pistol W/Box : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
    Colt Combat Commander in Rare 9mm Configuration! : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
    Colt MK/IV series 70 government model 9mm luger : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
    Colt 1911 Government 9MM 5"Bbl Blued 2-9Rd : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
    Colt 1911 Government 9mm Mark IV : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
    Colt 1911 9mm Combat Commander 70 series : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
    Colt Series 70 Government Model 9mm Luger : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
    Colt MK IV Series 70 Government Model 9mm MINT : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
    OD*, srings and blitzburgh like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I too have been courting the 1911 bug (the ambi thumb safety and grip safety are a plus in my eyes), but I'm worried about the reliability of an officer size in .45. I've looked at a Colt Defender and would add an ambi safety later. But I have to admit that I like the thought of a Springfield EMP in 9mm. Are they typically reliable out of the box or is there a break-in period or ramp work that should be done right off the bat to run JHP ammo?

Same question for the Colt Defender in .45...while we're at it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links