XDs vs Shield

XDs vs Shield

This is a discussion on XDs vs Shield within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shopping for a new EDC gun. I'm torn between the Springfield XDs & M&P Shield. Also not sure on what caliber is best to get. ...

Thread: XDs vs Shield

XDs vs Shield

Shopping for a new EDC gun. I'm torn between the Springfield XDs & M&P Shield. Also not sure on what caliber is best to get. Do you guys prefer something with more magazine capacity or more power? Would like to hear some pros & cons from people that actually own or have fired these pistols.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlWhiteGT View Post
    Shopping for a new EDC gun. I'm torn between the Springfield XDs & M&P Shield. Also not sure on what caliber is best to get. Do you guys prefer something with more magazine capacity or more power? Would like to hear some pros & cons from people that actually own or have fired these pistols.
    How about both? Springfield Armory
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    I'd say that both guns are very good for CC, and at that point it becomes a personal preference, that is subject to "splitting hairs".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Around where I live he Shield is $180 cheaper than the XDs. I like the way the shield feels in my hand slightly better than the XDs. I bought the Shield in 9mm and I'm very happy, just took forever to find one!

VIP Member
    Lots of pros and cons recently listed here:

Tough choice need input m&p shield or xds?
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I have never fired the XDs. But I currently own a Shield. I went with 9mm for a few reasons. I shoot it better than any other caliber. I can cary more rounds than a .40 or .45. And the 9mm is an adequate choice for self defense. The fact if the matter is I can put more rounds downrange faster than my buddy with his .45. And the numbers will prove it takes multiple rounds to stop an attacker. I also went with the Shield because it was easier on the wallet. It has an amazing trigger too. And if you are concerned with the manual safety, I don't even use mine. Its rather redundant on a pistol with a trigger safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

+1 on the XDs the 9mm comes with seven shot magazine with 9 round available. Shield 9mm comes with one 6 and one 8 round magazine, largest magazine available 8 rounds. Besides that all other differences are miniscule.

I had a XDS45 it was accurate and easy to carry, I did have some failures with it I sold it, I now have a Shield 9mm and like it. The Shield is accurate and fits my hand well, the trigger is better than I expected, come with two magazines and sells for $400-$450.

I would not hesitate to buy another XDS in 9 mm though.

Hickok45 just did a very thouriugh video comparing the 2 on you tube. You should check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by 45Fight View Post
    +1 on the XDs the 9mm comes with seven shot magazine with 9 round available. Shield 9mm comes with one 6 and one 8 round magazine, largest magazine available 8 rounds. Besides that all other differences are miniscule.
    Actually the Shield comes with a 7 and an 8 round mag, unless they've changed something since I bought mine. The Shield fits my hand very well, and is a great shooter and disappears as an EDC.
    M&P Shield 9mm for EDC
    Ruger P90 for the nightstand

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Just MHO I would get the shield. I bought mine in 9mm because I love the 9mm round. More rounds in capacity and more to be put down range. I would not carry a Springfield as a CCW because of the beckstrap safety. The less things that could hinder me in a tactical situation the better. And if your worried about the thumb safety just keep it off. I love my shield. Fits me perfectly, fun to shoot, and easy to conceal. S&W did a great job with this one.

XDs has the better trigger. Shield is the better gun IMO at a much better value. Around here the 9mm versions are back to $399.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I carry the Shield in 9. I can't think of one thing I don't like about it. I'm sure the XDs is just as good a choice. Every XD pistol I ever shot was great.

Quote Originally Posted by phil413tx View Post
    Hickok45 just did a very thouriugh video comparing the 2 on you tube. You should check it out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPEWaKevY8o

Granted, it is on the 9mm...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Links