Wife is making the switch away from Glock to M&P.

This is a discussion on Wife is making the switch away from Glock to M&P. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally got my wife to the gun shop the same time I went. I have been trying to get her to handle the M&P's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Wife is making the switch away from Glock to M&P.

Cool Wife is making the switch away from Glock to M&P.

I finally got my wife to the gun shop the same time I went. I have been trying to get her to handle the M&P's for a while now, but never seemed to be with her at a shop when they had any in stock.

So today we found one. M&P 9mm full sized without thumb safety. She really liked it, so it came home, well not home because we were on our way out of town. One quick stop for some .38 snap caps turned more costly.

She liked her G19, but the trigger reach was simply too long for her and she had a tendency to shoot low left. The M&P fits her hand much, much better. We did some dry firing this evening with a Laserlyte and she was hitting pretty consistently with it. Much more consistent than with the G19.

Don't take this as anything against Glock, it just didn't work as well for her as it should.

Now we just have to wait to get to the range and see if it pans out as well on the range as it did against targets on the wall this evening.

I am even looking forward to putting some rounds through it. I have shot other M&P's, but it has been a while.

Besides, half a dozen 9mm's isn't too many is it? And yes, the G19 will stay, have no plans on getting rid of it.
    GSDSchutzhund and 357and40 like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Glad your wife is finding her answer.
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Glocks are great, but the grip shape has always been a weak spot. An M&P is a good gun.

And no, you can't have too many pistols. I personally believe that a good gun will be worth a lot more than the dollars you spent on it, in the not-too-distant future.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    My wife is very happy with her 642, I've offered to buy her something different, but she always declines. Blasphemy ! Who passes up a new/free gun?

Seriously, if she's confident and competent with her CCW, then that's the one she needs, no railroading by me.

Congratulations on the M&P, it seems like it'll be a better fit for your wife.
    miller_man likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Glad she found a gun that fits her hand well. That is one of the most important things in any carry gun. I really like the M&P line as well. My wife found the gun that just fits her hand perfectly several years ago. She carries an XD .40 sub compact nd she is scary accurate with it. I've suggested she hold a few other guns, including the M&P, which she has done, but always tell me that she still loves her XD best. She has no plans to give up that XD unless something that fits her hand better comes along and so far, nothing has.

Congrats to your wife on the new gun.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Congrats on the new gun.

I typically have issues with trigger reach as well. For me to shoot guns without jerking the trigger I have to have my trigger finger wrapped around the trigger at the first joint. When I use the pad of my finger I typically will end up shooting low and left as well.

Congrats!
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Congrats! Half a dozen isn't too many nines, I have five different 9mms myself.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Awesome. I actually just did the same last week. I have a Glock 26 Gen 4 that ticks all the boxes for a perfect carry gun, but I just never fell in love with the way it feels or shoots. I put around 100 rounds through it and could tell it just wasn't my ideal match.

So I bought an M&P 9c and now that I have it I know what it's like to truly feel connected to your carry weapon. It just feels right and I shoot far better with it. I think it has to do with the smoother trigger. The Glock was crisp, but more resistant and also rested in a bad spot on my finger. My finger settles into the M&P nicely and breaks with less perceived pressure.

It's good to see people finding the right tool for the job, though I would never call a Glock the "wrong" tool, per se. Still, unlike your 19, my 26 is for sale. Haha. :-)

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    [QUOTE=farronwolf;2848250
    She liked her G19, but the trigger reach was simply too long for her and she had a tendency to shoot low left. [/QUOTE]

She isn't the only one shooting a little left. I've heard many of the Glocks have this trait including my G 27.
    I've had mine over a year and have now through repetition trained my trigger pull to prevent this.
    I love the Glock, but this left pull is something I don't see being addressed too much.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Kevin, was she carrying a CW9 at one time?

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    She isn't the only one shooting a little left. I've heard many of the Glocks have this trait including my G 27.
    I've had mine over a year and have now through repetition trained my trigger pull to prevent this.
    I love the Glock, but this left pull is something I don't see being addressed too much.
    It isn't a Glock thing. Google "Shooting low and left" and you'll see threads across every firearms forum out there about people having that problem with every single brand of handguns. It has nothing to do with the gun, it's just improper trigger control and is incredibly common among novice shooters. Now of course there's always the possibility of misaligned sights from the factory (This appears to be happening with some XDS9's), but that's pretty rare and the fact that the problem mysteriously goes away once you get more trigger time with the weapon answers the question on whether it was the gun or the shooter.

Anyway, back to M&Ps. I just picked up a new (test fire 6/5/13) M&P9c ($517 after tax + NICS + a free third mag) yesterday, and besides the disappointing frame fillers they're now using on non-safety models, and ugly, rough (interally) slide stop levers; comparing it side by side with my older M&P9c from 7/5/12 is like night and day with the trigger. The new trigger has a very long take up (similar to HKs), but a very clean break and an incredibly short and audible reset, as opposed to the older M&P which has little take up, but a very long reset with two separate stages. Smith really got their act together with the triggers, and handling Gen 4 Glocks side by side in the store it's really no contest. The Glocks felt like mushy light-switches by comparison, although the take up was very smooth on all of them while the M&Ps had varying levels of grittiness between each gun; but the same clean break and short snappy reset.

I have been intrigued by the M&P for some time now, but just can't bring myself to buy one. The trigger has been one issue that has kept me at arm's length, so I'm glad to hear that situation has improved.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum ~ Μολών Λaβέ
    HK45c, Kimber Pro CDP II, Gen3 G19, Gen4 G19, Colt LE6920, Benelli SuperNova
    "In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    My wife did the same thing. M&P9c with a apex kit. Cost turned out lower than a G19 gen 3 with the kit . Added a few extra mags with a couple full sized with slip on's. Nice feel. I like it too but she does not let me shot it much. "her pistol"..

I have heard the newest rendition of the M&P has a new trigger group design in them ??

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    I have heard the newest rendition of the M&P has a new trigger group design in them ??
    The new production updates are shown here, showing the old and new parts side by side.

M&P Production updates - Semi-Auto [Handguns] - Long Island Firearms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links