Do/Would you carry your own hand loads.

This is a discussion on Do/Would you carry your own hand loads. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Given that hand loading doesn't save you money, but does allow more practice, and the mantra of practice with what you carry (or vice versa)......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Do/Would you carry your own hand loads.

Do/Would you carry your own hand loads.

Given that hand loading doesn't save you money, but does allow more practice, and the mantra of practice with what you carry (or vice versa)...
    bmcgilvray likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I would argue that hand loading does save money, but that being said I would never carry with my hand loads. They are always intentionally very light loads and would only tend to pi$$ a person off if I shot someone with it. As for practice, light loads or hot, anything you shoot is good practice. good luck
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Guns don't make decisions, people do.
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

I would carry my own handloads, not reloads, if I needed to.
    My handloads are made using new brass.
    I have a 185 gr. 45 acp and a 115 gr. 9mm XTP handload that duplicate factory ballistics and expand when fired into water.
    The 185 gr. XTP averages 970 fps out of a Glock 30 and 1,034 fps out of a 1911 with 5'' barrel.
    The 9mm 115 gr. XTP averaged 1,157 fps out of a Glock 26.
    These handloads were assembled using a single stage press, powder charges one at a time with visual inspection, primers one at a time, and OAL checked constantly.
    In other words the quality control was overly obsessive / bet your life.

I'm not currently carrying them, as I prefer 230 gr. Federal Hydra-Shok & 124 gr. HST +P, but I have in the past and would again in a pinch.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I don't reload for handguns, but I do reload for rifles. Hand loads for pistols and their reliability wouldn't be the question if I did load my own for defensive purposes. I would be confident in carrying my own loads for that reason. However...carrying commercially manufactured ammo leaves out a few questions a prosecuting attorney might ask. It could also open the door for one to file a suit for defective product if your commercial cartridge did not fire and you were injured due to that. In this day in age when very few people wish to be held accountable for their own actions, and late night commercials are full of ads where lawyers will fight for you. I would leave less to conjecture especially before a jury.
    nontechguy likes this.

yup, same as CDW4ME.

There is a difference in loads I crank out just to shoot IDPA or practice with what I do that might be carried.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Yup, same as CDW4ME. I can and I do. I'm utterly unconcerned with all the warnings against carrying of handloads for self-defense. The well-crafted handload is superior to factory loads of all types for reliability.
    Aceoky, 40Bob, gasmitty and 2 others like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Yup, same as CDW4ME. I can and I do. I'm utterly unconcerned with all the warnings against carrying of handloads for self-defense. The well-crafted handload is superior to factory loads of all types for reliability.
    Thanks. I trust myself to be way more obsessive about quality control of EVERY INDIVIDUAL cartridge I load vs. factory QA/QC.

I have and probably will again, I also cast my own .45, and .40 bullets so YES it saves a "ton" of $$$ for me YMMV

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If I needed to, yes.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have carried my own in the past and plan on carrying my own in the near future. It's alittle easier to match the feel and accuracy of my practice ammo and carry ammo when I know how and with what components both are loaded with.
    ChrisATX likes this.

I don’t carry my handloads, but I do duplicate my carry ammo for practice using a chronograph. I also “put aside” a few hundred rounds of what I call “premium” handloads using new brass for just in case or a rainy day. I basically won’t carry a round that I can’t buy the bullets for, so I stick with Speer GDs and Golden Sabers.

I’ve never had an issue with any of my reloads, but knowing my luck should anything ever happen I’ll get the DA that will try to make an issue of my ammo choice. In a pinch, I have carried my handloads in the past.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

I know a save a bunch when loading shotgun shells. I havent put pen to paper yet on brass reloading (9mm), as I bought most of the components during the shortage, and I know I can later buy cheaper than that, but yes, one saves money reloading.

VIP Member
    In the past I have carried my hand loads. But now I carry a 40 or a 9mm and I don't reload for either of the two.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

No! With the Zimmerman trial, we saw how a prosecutor portrayed carrying hollow points, imagine the way they'd spin hand loads.

Prosecutor: "regular hollow points weren't deadly enough for the defendant, he had to load his own bullets so they would be more likely to kill!"
    maxwell97 likes this.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

I dont hand load but if I ever move totally over to 357 and 38 spcl I would like too. If I did and once3 I was good at it I would have no hesitation carrying them. I had none carrying my ex bro in laws reloads in .357 mag years ago. He was a perfectionist and I have no doubt I was shooting superior loads loaded by him over factory then. All I had to do was save my brass. Those were the days lol.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links