Went to the LGS today...and this followed me home

This is a discussion on Went to the LGS today...and this followed me home within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; IMG_20130727_202216.jpg I was looking for a HD option for the wife in case she absolutely needed it (she is not a gun person at all). ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Went to the LGS today...and this followed me home

Went to the LGS today...and this followed me home

IMG_20130727_202216.jpg

I was looking for a HD option for the wife in case she absolutely needed it (she is not a gun person at all). I figured a revolver was the best option and was down between this Ruger SP101 and a Smith model 60...the Smith was a little cost prohibitive.

Any thoughts on a good .357 personal defense round and a good .38 spl personal defense round (in case I can get the wife to shoot this thing)? I picked up a box of Remington Golden Sabers in .357 but am open to suggestions if you guys know of anything better.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a good IWB lefty holster?
    357and40, Aceoky, Tzadik and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

Great gun, my wife loves her revolver 642. If you get her a good action job and polish the trigger face it will help her be much more comfortable shooting it. For cc I like the milt sparks summer special for my sp, buffalo bore low flash low smoke 38 sp works very well for my wife

.357 nothing beats the 125 gr sjhp for two legged varmints. 38 right now using Hornady Critical defense 110gr ftx +p or 158 gr non +p
    Aceoky likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    Very nice.

I have Hydrashoks for my .357.

Congrtats, you just bought a 'tank' of a revolver...I love mine.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VERY nice! Congratulations!!!

Excellent choice. Speer Gold Dot 158gr in either the .357 Magnum or .38 Special flavors is an especially good choice of what to feed that beast.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Excellent short barrel Ruger...the Golden Sabers will work just fine.

Congrats! man that is one bad revolver.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

I would start her out on the lightest 38sp loads I could find, think cowboy shooting loads.

Move her up as her pace.

As far as HD, If she will shoot the SP101 with out fear of the SP101 then even with very light loads it would be better than her being afraid to pick it up because of recoil of 357mags you tried persuade her was the most effective.

JMHO
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member
    Sweet looking revolver, love it! Congrats.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Congrats, nice Ruger!

Good looking revolver I enjoy mine. If your wife's uncomfortable with .357's on an outdoor range as mine was. I think inside an enclosed room .38 special would be a better choice.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I would suggest you first let her shoot wad cutters with less recoil and then move up to .38 +P and then .357. My wife loves her LCR but not with +P loads. I have a SP101 but in .327, great gun but it is hard to beat a Model 60. My EDC for just over 20 years was a 1966 Model 60 that was left to me by my father, he also carried it for about 20 years. After 40 years of use it looked and fired like new.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Without knowing your wife's comfort level with full-house .357 Magnum loads, my initial recommendation is to go with .38 Specials in +P flavor. I'm fond of the so-called 'FBI load', which is a 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter hollowpoint. This is a load that has a documented good record on the street for over 20 years. I chrono'd he Federal version at 979 and 950 ft/sec out of a 6" Security Six and a 4" S&W 64 recently, which extrapolates to around 900 ft/sec in a 2" snub. That's a respectable energy level on the receiving end, without the stout recoil (and muzzle flash) of a .357. The 158 grain bullet is a decent penetrator, the SWC profile cuts tissue well, and even if the hollowpoint doesn't expand much you still have 158 grains doing damage in the target. Have your wife give it a try.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links