Picked up the Glock 19 today!! Interesting observation...

This is a discussion on Picked up the Glock 19 today!! Interesting observation... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went and picked the Glock 19 up today. I already love it. It is brand new, Gen 3. Noticed something interesting when comparing it to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Picked up the Glock 19 today!! Interesting observation...

Picked up the Glock 19 today!! Interesting observation...

Went and picked the Glock 19 up today. I already love it. It is brand new, Gen 3.

Noticed something interesting when comparing it to the recently bought G26. I was holding the 19 and I realized that I like the grip on the 19 much better than the grip on the 26. It just feels much better in my hand. And it wasn't the fact that the grip on the 26 is shorter and my little finger is curled below the grip, that really doesn't bother me at all. What I figured out that it is, is the back strap of the grip. The 26 has a more pronounced hump at the bottom 1/4 of the grip. Even holding the two guns right up against each other you can see it. And I can really feel it.

Has anyone else noticed this? I had always assumed the grip on the 26 was the same as the 19/17, just shorter or less of it there but it isn't. It really is different. Glock always naturally point a little high for me because of the grip and I have worked to compensate for that to the point where I didn't have to even think about it wit my G23 anymore. The 19 being the same gun as the 23, just a different caliber, I am sure it is the same. But I noticed when I took the 26 to the range that to my surprise, I was hitting high at first until I consciously compensated for that and adjusted. Now I know why.

I had already been thinking about having a grip reduction done on the 26 but now I'm sure I will be doing this. Before I do though, I'm going to get my hands on a Gen 4 G26 and see what it feels like.

Next, off to the range to try out the new 19. I'll let yall know how it performs. I expect it will be good.
    Rock and Glock and Ranger45 like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

It feels a lot different in the hand for me as well. IMO, the G19 is the perfect size for a carry gun.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

I just got a G19 recently. One of the best gun decisions I've made. Shoots amazing.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Have the grip of the G19 professionally cut down to accept 26 mags and you solve a lot of the hump issue, have a more concealable version with longer barrel, and can still use your 19 mags and holsters. A couple grip sleeves and you're golden.
    TN_Mike and Philly Boy like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

guess you shoulda bought a SW M&P 9C.......I'll give you $250 for the G26....before you take the Dremel Tool to it.
    Glock Perfection.....leave the Dremel in the tool box.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    The Glock that feels different to me is the 17. The 19 and 26 shoot to the same place for me. I have a Pearce +0 extension on the 26 magazines. For my hands, it makes the two guns shoot to the same place, and turns the 26 into close enough to the perfect double tap gun that the difference doesn't matter. I had a 17. Traded it for a second Gen 3 G19. One 19 in the bed side safe, one in the carry gun safe in the closet. The carry gun safe is sort of crowded. My carry preference, in order of decreasing holster time, 19, 26, P238, LCP and XDs.

I'm considering replacing the XDs with a Beretta Nano but every time I try the trigger on one I walk away.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    In honor of your new 19 I decided to pack mine this morning instead of the 26. My sister, her guy, my wife and I are headed out for breakfast after I feed the horses.

Did I mention I love my 19s? Both of them.

Fitch

PS: It's 70F. I'm packing it in a CBST @ 3. Tucked in T-shirt. Nice comfortable well faded washed blue cotton long sleeve shirt with the bottom button buttoned. Can't tell it's there.

I'm outta here.

frw
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I have a Gen4 26 and a Gen3 19, and I haven't noticed much difference, other than length. I shoot pretty well with both. The Gen4 grip is a little rough on my hands.

Side note for women: The shorter barrel length makes the 26 easier for me to conceal in skinny jeans, so shaving down a 19 wouldn't work as well for me for concealment.

I've had a G19 Gen 3 for a few years now. It's one of my primary carry guns. I went to the LGS yesterday to get a full framed Glock where I could attach a rail light and have a dedicated home defense pistol. Once I settled on a G17, I opted for the Gen 3 since I've grown accustomed to the grip pattern and the Gen 4 grip just doesn't feel right in my hands. I haven't noticed the bump on the G26, but the change in grip pattern between generations makes a difference to me.

VIP Member
    Nice pictures Mike......oh wait, there aren't any!

Enjoy the new guns. Looking forward to your range report.
    Zralou likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Congrats Mike! You'll love it. I've been very happy with mine. The grip, sight radius, slightly extra heft (4oz) and extra 5 rounds over the 26 are significant to me as well. It's more accurate, handles recoil better and is more fun to shoot.

Likely an extra 5-10% muzzle energy, too. The short barrels on subcompacts in general bother me - it's easy to hide an extra half-inch of barrel, so why compromise performance?

Anyway, congrats!
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    Get your hands on a Gen4 and don't look back!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Congrats on the new G19! I agree that is the perfect sized carry gun...in my opinion, perhaps the best all-around CCW gun currently in production.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum ~ Μολών Λaβέ
    HK45c, Kimber Pro CDP II, Gen4 G21, Gen3 G19, Gen4 G19, S&W M&P 9, Colt LE6920, Benelli SuperNova
    "In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

First timer

Bought my first Glock19 last month and have 600+ rounds thru it. Have to admit I do love it. It does point hi for me when I bring it up unlike my 75c and my p938. Im learning to adjust my wrist upon drawing the weapon. Very nice weapon and I do now understand the hype. I put a red hiviz and an extended mag release on it. To me the palm swell is perfect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links