SIG P220 Stainless?

SIG P220 Stainless?

This is a discussion on SIG P220 Stainless? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I'm currently shopping for my first Sig, and i've found what appears to be a mint condition, pre-owned Sig P220 Stainless with Elite grips. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pogo2

Thread: SIG P220 Stainless?

SIG P220 Stainless?

Hello,

I'm currently shopping for my first Sig, and i've found what appears to be a mint condition, pre-owned Sig P220 Stainless with Elite grips. I believe it's about 3-4 years old, however i'm curious if there is anything in particular that I should watch out for on these guns, especially one with some age?

Also, is there any difference between a P220 Stainless, and a P220 Elite Stainless?

the first Sigs that were made with rails on the dustcover had a narrow rail that would only fit certain Sig accessories. i don't think Sig made too many like this before changing to standard Picatinny rail dimensions, but it's something to watch out for.

Elite models should have some or all of the following features that aren't standard on the regular Sigs: night sights, checkered front strap, extended beavertail (similar to the ones on a modern 1911), laminated wood grips or aluminum grips, and the SRT (Short Reset Trigger).

there have been quite a few Elite models over the years, so any Elite you find may or may not have all of these extra features.

disassembly of guns with the SRT differs slightly from the Sigs without SRT, so if you have an SRT-equipped gun, read the manual before taking the gun apart.

The biggest thing I look for on used Sigs is the aluminum frame rail wear, being that you are looking at a stainless P220 you won't have that issue. Check barrel smilies, that will give you an idea of the number of rounds through the gun. I prefer Sigs without a beaver tail, but some do find them useful. If Tritium sights are on the gun check to see if they have died/lost their charge. They can be replaced/re-lamped, but if dead you should ask them to come down on price ~$50-$100 depending on asking price.

Check the extractor type; I believe Stainless P220's came with the internal as well as short external. If I am remembering correctly the internal extractor had some issues, (I may not be correct on this, do some research). Bruce Gray at Gray Guns developed a fix, maybe his site will have info on the internal extractor and what the issues were. Best of luck and post some pics for us to drool over when you get her. The Stainless P220's are sexy pistols.

Excellent gun

I bought a Sig P220ST a couple of years ago. It is one of the early ones with a unique rail arrangement that was later replaced. Since I don't hang an attachment on the gun this didn't matter to me. The gun is an excellent shooter and does as well as any of my 1911s. For simply shooting .45s with a high degree of accuracy the P220ST is an excellent choice.

miller_man likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Sponsored Links