Help me pick a Kahr

This is a discussion on Help me pick a Kahr within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to decide between two sizes and two finishes. I'm looking at these models: Kahr MK9 (M9093)-Stainless steel Kahr MK9 Elite (M9098)-Polished stainless Kahr ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a Kahr

Help me pick a Kahr

I'm trying to decide between two sizes and two finishes. I'm looking at these models:

Kahr MK9 (M9093)-Stainless steel
    Kahr MK9 Elite (M9098)-Polished stainless

Kahr K9 (M9094C)-Black DLC finish
    Kahr K9 (M9098)-Polished stainless

I need a small gun for concealed carry. I am applying to a police academy and will be using the gun in question for off duty carry. I intend to carry the gun IWB or OWB in a Comp-Tac holster. I think both would work great for belt carry, but I might carry the MK9 in a pocket holster on duty as a back-up gun. But it might be too heavy for that.

After wearing a decked out duty belt all day long, I think carrying a Kahr IWB wouldn't even be noticable. I really want to stick with belt carry because I feel a the ability to put the gun into play in an instant and with accuracy and speed will be more important than a deep concealment gun I can't shoot well or rapidly.

The K9 is smaller than the Sig 239 and 232, which seem to be great CCWs. I could conceal it easier and still get a full grip. Also the K9 models seem to get nothing except rave reviews versus the polymer framed guns. While the MK9 would be even easier than the K9, but I'd be giving up a full grip (except with the extended mag) and longer sight plain.

Also is there any functional difference in the standard stainless and the Elite 2003s? Or do they just get a little more attention on the assembly line?
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Just trust me on this one... after wearing your decked out duty belt all day, you will feel the weight of your ccw even more.

You might want to wait until you get hired... a lot of depts. have restrictions on what you carry off duty.

Of those you chose, I'd go with the K9 stainless.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I agree with the wait till your on the job to pick. My previous agency had a liberal off duty policy but this one is very restrictive. I love my Kahr TP-9 and the lil extra in the barrel balances it a bunch. I will say this. The MK-9 is a real handful. My old partner had one and he hated pulling the trigger unless he had the extended mag in it, and with that it was the same as the P-9. Good lucky and have fun.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I have a K9. I purchased it with the intention of using it as my summer CCW gun. I never have carried it though, I found I can comfortably carry a larger gun year round with a good holster.

It has been very reliable. The only problems I have had with it is while shooting Federal 147 Hydra Shok. With the heavier bullet the ammo in the magazine can push on the slide stop causing the slide to lock back early.

IIRC the Elite has a bit shorter trigger pull. If you go to Glocktalk they have a "Kahr Club" in the "Gun Related Club Forums area". There is a lot of good Kahr info there.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

I owned a MK9 and used it as an off-duty gun for a few years with great success, I sold it to buy a PM9 becasue it was a tad heavy for pocket carry is dress pants. You may consider the PM series and a good vest holster while on duty. Pocket carry is fine but a duty belt with radio, expandable baton, duty holster, etc. it may become difficult during a fight for your weapon to get your hand into your pocket to obtain your backup. I am not a fan of ankle carry becasue of the documented cases of officers either loosing their guns during a foot chase or having their gun taken during a scuffle and getting shot in the grion area. Currently my on duty back-up is a Kel-Tec P3AT in a pocket holster but I am a Detective and find access to the pocket is easier without a duty belt on all the time.

Of those that you list, I would stick with the MK series. They are heavy enough in such a small package to soak up the recoil with even
    +p+ ammo running through it. Remember that becasue the MK is smaller it can be carried when a small gun is needed as well as a larger one, the K series becasue it is larger may not work when a small gun is needed (such as deep concealment). YMMV.
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

For what it is worth, I have owned several Kahr handguns. From the Tac 40 to the PM9. I count seven at one time or another. I still have a P40 and a CW9. The only problem I have had out of these little guns was with the Tac 40. Never could get it right. I carried the PM9 for awhile and found it to be the easiest carrying gun I have ever owned. It does bite a bit, but then I don't believe that they are intended for long term range sessions. I wished I still had the little PM9. Great carry and good shooter. The MKs tend to be a little heavy for pocket carry. There is little difference between the finishes. I prefer stainless for this purpose.
    As was mentioned you may want to see what your department will allow you carry off duty. Good luck.

I like the K9 stainless myself. I like having the full grip and the weight as long as you're planning to carry it IWB or OWB. If you want a gun for pocket carry, I'm not sure even the MK is light enough.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

My PM9 is very easy to carry and very reliable. Bought a couple of higher capacity 9mm mags to go with it.

I am leery of the smaller Kahrs as a friend had trouble with his, it was the slide stop on a plastic frame model. I have an E9 that is hard chromed, stainless K9, K40 that is hard chromed, and a stainless K40. I like them all. a word of caution is trust Kahr's advise and put 200 rounds through the handgun before you carry it. Regards, Richard

Any pics of the hard chromed guns?
    Where did you get them chromed?

Thanks to everybody so far. I don't like polymer framed guns and would really like to keep with either the K or MK series. The MK series may well be too heavy to pocket carry. I had a PM40 that was near the limits for me to pocket carry. But the MK would be even easier to carry, even if I stick with IWB because the grip is less likely to print. And I'm sure I can handle the MK series considering I found the PM40 to be not overly punishing. Also the K series is smaller than everyone elses compact models and is even smaller than some models of Walther PPKs.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

I don't own a Kahr, but from my research so far I would consider the K9 for it's size (especially its width) and reported reliability. The Elites are beveled in certain areas to be more snag resistant. It also has a smoother trigger, but some people suggested that the Elite trigger now comes with the other models as well.

The other guns I'm considering are the HK P2000 SK and the Glock 26.

I too agree that you should wait. I am also in the market for a small "drop in you pocket" pistol. I was looking at the Kahr until I noticed that a Walther PPK/PPKs is damn near the same size. If I were a police officer and was told I needed to carry 24/7. I think my carry weapon would not be a Kahr. I prefer 1911s. The small CCW pistols I'm currently looking at are Seecamp .380 or the NAA Guardian .380.
    Hope I didn't muddy the waters, just my opionion.

I currently carry a Kahr TP-9 that I trade a custom K-9 for. There is nothing wrong with the K-9, it's a good solid piece that except for a very few at the beginning of their product, have an exceptional repetition for reliability and accuracy. I even believe that the NYPD has listed the K-9 as one of the prefer off-duty carry piece.

My reason for selling the K-9 was solely base on my preference for a lighter piece that was resistant to corrosion (polymer & stainless) seeing my usual carry is in my waistband. My reason for the TP-9 was due to it's 1/2 inch longer barrel that gave me a little long sight picture as well as a little more weight at the end of it to reduce muzzle flip.

If you decide on the K-9, I would suggest that you have a gunsmith debur all sharp edges if Kahr hasn't already made this change in their production, as my K-9 literally cut me before I had this done. In addition I would get rid of the rubber grips (Hogues) and get a set of smooth wood ones as the checker or rubber ones will grab your clothing showing were your piece is.

P.S. As for panheads suggestion of a Walther PPK/s ask yourself this question: Why would I choose a piece that is approximately the same (K-9) size, weight and cost $$$, but fires a inferior cartridge to the 9mm Parabellum? I also own a PPK/s and haven't carried it since I got the Kahr because of these very reasons. There is nothing wrong with the Walther it's a fine piece but the drawbacks mention above I believe limit it as a viable conceal carry. Of course my opinion only.
    Last edited by stmichps; November 29th, 2006 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Postscript

I have an all stainless MK9. Like it a lot. Mine eats anything I feed it except Speer ammo.
    Find out if the dept you will be going with has a list of acceptable offduty carry guns before you invest.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links