Ruger LCP w/ Lasermax purchase/review

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP w/ Lasermax purchase/review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all. I was entertaining the thought of purchasing a Ruger LCP previous to the craze. This past saturday I went looking for one and ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By norb5150
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By Ichi

Thread: Ruger LCP w/ Lasermax purchase/review

Hello all. I was entertaining the thought of purchasing a Ruger LCP previous to the craze. This past saturday I went looking for one and could only find it w laser. I wasn't to interested in the laser mainly because of the cost difference, but that was all that was available. So... now on to the review,

General:It is a very small frame DAO pistol. For a person my size to handle it is a bit of a task, but my main goal with this is to have the wife carry it on days when she dresses light. Her mits are about a 3rd of the size of mine. The slide is a bit to operate and actually takes a good amount of effort to cycle the entire way back (once again, I think it is because of my hand size) however there does seem to be a bit of a bind about half way back, this could be due to it being new. I made an attempt to "hip rack" a round however the frame is to smooth and tight for that operation at this time. Maybe after it gets broken in it will loosen up. The trigger pull is heavy but very crisp and even for a double action in my opinion.
    In the box: you get your typical owners manual, a lock, some advertisement flyers, the pistol, a gun rug for it with the Ruger logo, a fired case, and Mine came with one magazine, I do not know if Ruger ships with 2 or not, but because of the 6 round capacity I think a second mag would be a nice addition to what comes in the box. I paid $460.79 w tax registration and P.I.C.S. the lasermax laser adds $100 to the price tag. In general I don't care for lasers on pistols, some people can't carry w/o one which is ok I guess. The operation of it is completely manual on/off. I think a pressure switch would be more ideal for a pistol this size.
    Range report: The barrel of this gun is short, no bench testing for accuracy was achievable. In the hand 7yrds out shooting 4" steel plates all 6 rounds hit the plate each time. From 10yrds 4 hits. The recoil is a bit to contend with for control (once again I have big hands) I can fit one finger on grip plus index on trigger. I did not have any issues arise with it, I only had 50rnds due to lack of ammo availability.
    Overall: For the purpose of this pistol I believe it does the intended job of a small self defense pistol. It would also make for a nice B.U.G. IMO. I like the small size, but do have difficulty operating it due to my size, that is no fault of the pistol. My wife did not have the time to go to the range w/ me so once she does I will update this review and let you know what she thinks of it.
    photo(2).JPG
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Thanks for your review post. I feel much the same about the Kel Tec P3AT I own or the LCPs I've fired. The recoil is not a bother. In fact, recoil with these pistols seems more manageable to me than the recoil of heavier steel .380 pistols of blow-back design. With these small .380 automatics there is not much to hang onto for those with large hands. I find the DAO triggers to be dreadful, a complaint that is accentuated by the poor ergonomics. Sights are wretched, slightly less so on the the LCP than on the P3AT which has only indistinct lumps as aiming references ... and that's with wearing reading glasses.

I bought the P3AT 8 years ago for really deep concealment but scarcely ever carry it because I'd hate to have to rely on it for gunfighting. It's one gun I have that I don't really like all that much. The Ruger LCP might have been a better choice due to the slightly more defined sights but by the time it was introduced I'd invested about all I wanted to throw at runt .380 pistols.
    norb5150 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Try adding a Hogue Handall Junior Grip, and pearce mag extension, its better than the stock extension.

I have big hands too, and with those additions, it feels perfect.

460 kinda high, I only paid 375 three months ago. Mine has lasermax also.
    norb5150 likes this.

Your .380 choices are S&W, Ruger, Bersa and Walther. The lack of ammo and price if you can find it is what sent me back to 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by norb5150 View Post
    Hello all. I was entertaining the thought of purchasing a Ruger LCP previous to the craze. This past saturday I went looking for one and could only find it w laser. I wasn't to interested in the laser mainly because of the cost difference, but that was all that was available. So... now on to the review,

General:It is a very small frame DAO pistol. For a person my size to handle it is a bit of a task, but my main goal with this is to have the wife carry it on days when she dresses light. Her mits are about a 3rd of the size of mine. The slide is a bit to operate and actually takes a good amount of effort to cycle the entire way back (once again, I think it is because of my hand size) however there does seem to be a bit of a bind about half way back, this could be due to it being new. I made an attempt to "hip rack" a round however the frame is to smooth and tight for that operation at this time. Maybe after it gets broken in it will loosen up. The trigger pull is heavy but very crisp and even for a double action in my opinion.
    In the box: you get your typical owners manual, a lock, some advertisement flyers, the pistol, a gun rug for it with the Ruger logo, a fired case, and Mine came with one magazine, I do not know if Ruger ships with 2 or not, but because of the 6 round capacity I think a second mag would be a nice addition to what comes in the box. I paid $460.79 w tax registration and P.I.C.S. the lasermax laser adds $100 to the price tag. In general I don't care for lasers on pistols, some people can't carry w/o one which is ok I guess. The operation of it is completely manual on/off. I think a pressure switch would be more ideal for a pistol this size.
    Range report: The barrel of this gun is short, no bench testing for accuracy was achievable. In the hand 7yrds out shooting 4" steel plates all 6 rounds hit the plate each time. From 10yrds 4 hits. The recoil is a bit to contend with for control (once again I have big hands) I can fit one finger on grip plus index on trigger. I did not have any issues arise with it, I only had 50rnds due to lack of ammo availability.
    Overall: For the purpose of this pistol I believe it does the intended job of a small self defense pistol. It would also make for a nice B.U.G. IMO. I like the small size, but do have difficulty operating it due to my size, that is no fault of the pistol. My wife did not have the time to go to the range w/ me so once she does I will update this review and let you know what she thinks of it.
    photo(2).JPG
    Huh, one finger.. That's not a finger, that's a sausage link. Did you not handle the pistol before you bought it...

sounds like you need a MUCH larger pistol. Just saying.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I did handle the gun prior to purchase. My main reason for purchasing this was for my wife. She wanted something smaller for concealment on hot days because she does not like to have any "print". It took me quite some time to get her comfortable enough to carry every day, I ll do what I need to, to keep her comfortable enough to carry. I can get a smidged of my ring finger on the extended floor plate of the mag, but I think the laser also effects the grip for me. Yes I have meat stickers for mitts, but I think even average size hands have some issue with this very small pistol.

Links