Need help on a 45 acp which to buy

This is a discussion on Need help on a 45 acp which to buy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the market for a 45 acp I am looking at the RIA compact for $455 or the XDs 45 for $555. The ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Need help on a 45 acp which to buy

Need help on a 45 acp which to buy

I am in the market for a 45 acp I am looking at the RIA compact for $455 or the XDs 45 for $555. The difference in the money is no big deal, I have experence with the standard 45 but none with the XDs. If it were you what would you but? Thanks in advance.
    Max
    USCG Ret.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have the Glock 30. I like it, a bit heavy fully loaded with 11 rounds (as any gun w/11 .45s rounds would be), and when at home it gets a G21 mag for higher capacity. I find it enjoyable to shoot, and I bought an Advantage Arms .22 LR conversion for increased practice. I have other handguns (Makes and calibers), but if they were all laid out side by side and I needed one in an instant, the G30 would be what I'd grab first. Other options are the G30 SF with slightly reduced trigger reach or the G30S, which is the G30SF frame with the thinner G36 slide.

Just something to consider.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Of those two, I would go with the XD. There's a better chance of the XD being 100% out of the box than there is with the RIA.

My personal preference would run to the Glock 30 SF, or the new 30s.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

I carry a 1911 but am looking at the xds, and that's the one i would suggest IMHO
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

I'd suggest taking a look at the EAA/Tanfoglio Witness in .45. It's a cz75 clone, so traditional double action, but can be put on safe with the hammer cocked for condition 1 carry. They have a pretty good variety of options, including steel or polymer frames, and are priced similarly to those you mention (probably closer to the RIA). They shoot nice, IMHO.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Thanks for the info, I am not a Glock guy and I have seen the EAAs not to my liking I want a compact for CC.
    Max
    USCG Ret.

You might look at the Springfield Champion for about the same price. I really, really like mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaxwell View Post
    I am in the market for a 45 acp I am looking at the RIA compact for $455 or the XDs 45 for $555. The difference in the money is no big deal, I have experence with the standard 45 but none with the XDs. If it were you what would you but? Thanks in advance.

i've been seeing a lot of posts on forums about problems with light strikes and cycling problems with the XDs series. trying to cram too much into too small a package? don't know. but the XDm 3.8 is a swell pistol, uber-reliable and very concealable. plus considerably more firepower at 9+1.
    "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

Distinguished Member
    I have the XDs45 and a Ruger SR1911 Commander. I actually shoot better with the SR1911 and I like the trigger better, etc. But the XDs is no slouch. It isn't quite as gentle on my hands as the 1911 but given its size and weight, not surprising at all. I carry it in a Sticky Holster and sometimes I just have to check to see if it is still there because it is so comfortable being so thin.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

NCG
    I bought an XDs45 couple weeks ago and I gotta say, it's been great. The XDs really disappears for CCing.
    Fan45acp likes this.

Look at the G36, 6+1 45acp and carries conceals very well.

Did I mention it is a Glock?
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

If I was given the choice between the two mentioned I'd go for the Rock Island. I like the all-steel construction, the single-action trigger, and the dimensions of the pistol. My son has a full-sized Rock Island and hasn't had a minute's trouble out of it. It's been 100% out the box as has another shooting acquaintance's Rock Island. Both have triggers that have to be described as quite nice. My 1918 Colt 1911 shows more tool marks on the inside than does his Rock Island. The old Colt's still smoother in operation but then it's been used more.

Classically styled after-market "double-diamond" stocks dress up my son's pistol a bit.
    Cuda66, GhostMaker and blitzburgh like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I think both are fine weapons, though I've read a tiny bit about light strikes with the XDs .45. Someone said Springfield has changed strikers, but I don't know for sure. Maybe you should look into it?

RIAs are pretty awesome, but they're way heavier. Being 1911s, they have a different manual of arms that includes sweeping the external safety.

For carry, I'd say go with the Springfield.

FWIW, I've got my 45 quest narrowed down to the Glock 36 and the XDS, currently leaning towards the 36.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

I'd take the RIA since it's a REAL gun, built to plan specs of the original govt. .45 pistols for years now. Researched them well and they have an excellent reputation. Shot one of the XD pistols in 9mm full-size last year. TERRIBLE...grouping went to heck after about 50ft. Maybe for up close...but it is NOT a Springfield...MADE IN CROATIA? If you're gonna pay $500+ consider getting a REAL Springfield Armory 1911-A1 military model that's their base unit with the old spur hammer on it. I've owned/shot a few guns and the real Springfields will shoot almost a half in hold with 5 rounds out of the box at 25 yards. Try that with an XD...just will not do it. If you're budget conscience, get the RIA and put a Wilson Dyer Group Gripper/full length guide rod in the thing for $50 and it will probably tighten the groupings up to 1-2". Heard they already shoot 4" or better at 25yards...
    sanfordreed likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links