Shot an LC9 today

This is a discussion on Shot an LC9 today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at the range, and got to shoot an LC9. The trigger was much better than the LCP, but the owner had put over ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Shot an LC9 today

Shot an LC9 today

I was at the range, and got to shoot an LC9. The trigger was much better than the LCP, but the owner had put over 1000 rounds through the gun, so the difference in trigger pull may just be that this particular gun is broken in.

I thought it shot alright, but am not a fan of the long DA trigger pull. If I had to, I would be comfortable carrying one, but I like my P238 much better.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

I love the look and feel of my LC9. I thought about taking out the magazine safety and putting one of those trigger kits in it but now that I know where the break is I'm okay with the long DA pull. It took lots of ammo and dry firing to get there. I'll have to try out the P238.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    The long DAO was a real bummer for my wife and even I thought it absurd.

Much prefer a LCP trigger over the LC9 but some people have no problems,
    esp. those who have no experience with guns yet.

That shark fin was also a big NO factor for us, even though the gun was light for
    a 9mm and you could get good hits if you tried.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

I agree, Badey. I dig Ruger, but the LCP and LC9 just don't work for me.

That P238, on the other hand.... sweet little shooter.

Learn to set the trigger and things really smooth out.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I have fired my Stepson's LC9 and I like it. Would recommend it to anyone.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

My problem with the LC9 wasn't the trigger, it was the grip. Small and uncomfortable, even a little "bitey".
    British by birth. American by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by clarkston_cz View Post
    The long DAO was a real bummer for my wife and even I thought it absurd.

Much prefer a LCP trigger over the LC9 but some people have no problems,
    esp. those who have no experience with guns yet.

That shark fin was also a big NO factor for us, even though the gun was light for
    a 9mm and you could get good hits if you tried.
    I have plenty of experience with guns and the LC9 is a fine firearm.
    sioux565 likes this.

I enjoy both my LC9 and LCP.
    No problems.

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

I have the LC9 and carry 24/7
    It did take some getting used to the trigger pull and many dry fires but now I love it.

I'm the same way. It took a lot of practice, and then to make matters worse, the sights were not set correctly (bought mine used). It was frustrating trying to get the grip and trigger pull down when the bullets were not going where they were supposed to go in the first place. I kept thinking it was me. Once I got the lasermax dot right on top of the laserlyte cartridge dot, then I adjusted the sights on the gun to where it was lined up with those dots, I began easily getting nice groupings that I could be proud of. I know right where the break is now too so I get right to it. I still wish it was so long but not enough to get a kit to fix it. For pleasure shooting it's not my favorite but I feel great about it as a CC.
    Last edited by Bob2.0; July 30th, 2013 at 12:22 PM.

If you don't like your LC9 trigger, see Galloway Precision. That turn a nice EDC into a very nice EDC.
    NewtownSam likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

It's a nice design but a terrible trigger. I've tried shooting these twice - hoping to like them, but both times the long, heavy pull on the short pistol affected my accuracy and significantly diminished my desire to buy one. An aftermarket trigger might be nice, adding that would likely increase the price enough were it was far less desirable. Hopefully Ruger is working on this, as someday I wouldn't mind getting one.

An aftermarket trigger might be nice, adding that would likely increase the price enough were it was far less desirable.
    Unsure how making the gun more to my liking makes it... less desirable. So, you want a tiny 9mm, from a respected maker, at a great price, with a wonderful trigger? Okay, go buy a Kahr CW series pistol. But if you like everything about an LC9 except the trigger, the aftermarket seems a good place to investigate.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cn262 View Post
    It's a nice design but a terrible trigger. I've tried shooting these twice - hoping to like them, but both times the long, heavy pull on the short pistol affected my accuracy and significantly diminished my desire to buy one. An aftermarket trigger might be nice, adding that would likely increase the price enough were it was far less desirable. Hopefully Ruger is working on this, as someday I wouldn't mind getting one.
    In my case it took more than two trips to the range to get comfortable with it. At first I blamed being off target on the trigger pull but after a few times on the range, (splitting up shooting time with my Beretta) and some dry fire practice along with some sight adjustments, I am really happy with it now. As this is my CC and my life might depend on this gun someday, I have put in the time it takes to get good with it. Now that I think about it, I honestly wouldn't change anything about the trigger pull. In the tense situation where I might have to use it and the heart is pounding, adrenaline is rushing and there might be others around, I am glad that it takes a deliberate pull to get it to fire. To each their own though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links