Gun Broker??

Gun Broker??

This is a discussion on Gun Broker?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have two Kimber .45's a full size Super Carry & a 3 inch Raptor , like both postols very much. I would really like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Gun Broker??

Gun Broker??

I have two Kimber .45's a full size Super Carry & a 3 inch Raptor , like both postols very much.
    I would really like to add a Compact CDP II to the family but my local GS told me the chance of one of those showing up is very slim. I have seen them on Gunbroker but I am a little nervous about buying this way,any experience with online purchases? I have heard that good deals can be had as well. Anyone care to confirm a good deal is possible? Good is relative of course up here everything is in short supply, some guys are so afraid of the new laws they are buying their 2nd or 3rd choices!

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    If you ever done any buying off of ebay, the advice is the same. Know who you are dealing with. Just make sure sellers have a lot of positive feedback and you should be fine. I have only bought two guns off GunBroker, but I can both purchases have gone off without a hitch.

Senior Moderator
    I've spent about 5 Grand with them this year and haven't been stiffed yet.

I use Gun Broker for the simple reason that you can find guns on there that you can not find anywhere else. Od, often obsolete versions or models that were discontinued can be found there.
    ccw9mm and Rock and Glock like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I regularly go to GunBroker whenever I want to get an idea of what a particular gun is worth. I look at what they sell for on GB, then deduct about 20-30% to find the true value of what I will likely find locally.

Sara Lou
    If you don't fight for what you want, don't cry for what you lost...

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn...

It never gets easier, you just get stronger...

I've used Gunbroker many, many times, both for selling and buying.

IMO, whatever basic precautions you'd take with, say, buying a car, motorcycle or bicycle via a classified ad you've seen somewhere also hold for buying anything else. With the small exception that it's a deadly weapon you're speaking of, so ostensibly a "deadly" sort could come along with it to rob you. But then, that sort of thing happens when cars/bikes are the item being transacted, too.

So. Place an ad, with photos, with a suitable "buyer" description of what you're looking for. Or, just go hunting for ads from sellers that are already posted. Vet the seller, via telephone discussions, getting a feel for the person and the viability of the item you're considering. Identify any flaws, aspects of the item you're buying that might alter the price you're willing to pay. If it's an auction you're bidding on, get your questions answered prior to bidding. Pay via a mode of payment that's revocable (ie, via a stop-payment from your bank), if you are able. If you purchase from a FFL shop, likely they'll take Visa/MC cards. I'd suggest having the gun placed at a known brick-and-mortar FFL shop prior to sending payment, if it's from a remote private seller, as it has to be shipped to you via an FFL anyway. That way, you eliminate nearly all the risk of collusion poisoning the transaction. When you get the item, evaluate it against the description you purchased, to ensure you got what you paid for. Post a rating comment for the seller, after all's done.

Gunbroker works fairly well. Yes, as with any other classified ads system, you risk hooking up with a shady character who's looking to swipe your funds. Take suitable precautions against that, and that's about what you can do.

BTW, Gunbroker has guides/FAQs for both buyers and sellers, on the web site. Read through those, to get an idea of how the process works.

Are good deals possible? Sure. Know what you want to buy, know the features you're looking for, be patient. As large as the GB playing field is, at times there simply aren't enough buyers for the number of items being sold. Particularly if you're looking for a very exact thing with specific features, it's entirely likely you'll come across a seller who's set a No-Reserve flag on the item, but where few other buyers are looking for that item at this time. In those situations, you can indeed often scoop up certain guns for a proverbial "song." Not often, but they're out there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array wheelyfun101's Avatar
    I've been buying/selling at a rapid pace on GB for the past year, and have had nothing but great experiences.
    My local FFL has been happy, as all the transfer fees are paying his rent!

I've surely bought and sold over 200 guns on GunBroker by now. Yes, you can definitely find great bargains there. Yes, you can definitely be ripped off, too. Aside from the obvious, my advice is to be patient and disciplined. Evaluating the seller is always more important than evaluating the particular gun you see that you would like to buy.
    ccw9mm likes this.

I had only one issue with GunBroker and that was an AR 15 I bought in January and didn't get it until May due to back order,but I did get it.
    Others have been very smooth.Pay by CC or Money Order,send them FFL,and when it arrives at FFL,take back ground check and take it home.
    Since shipping costs can be high,I usually shop around to see if I can find the firearm I want locally before I buy it from GB.

They're OK. Only problem I've seen is that guys are asking over double the value of accessories, like mags. It can be expensive.

But nobody's forcing you.

Patience will save you a lot of money. Don't get in a hurry and you'll be OK.
    vilecanards likes this.

I just bought two Glocks on Gunbroker. A G26 and a G19 and the experiences were very different.

The G26 went great. The seller sent me an r=email within an hour of the auction closing giving me the total price with shipping, three options in the way to ship it with the price difference for each. All of his contact info, address to send the money order to, his phone number and email address, plus his fax number so my FFL guy could send his info to him.

I sent the money the next day and my G26 arrived 4 days after the auction closed. It was a very, very good experience.

The experience with the G19 was not good. I didn't get an email from the seller. I had to contact him. I emailed with what I believed to be the price plus shipping, his address and phone number and fax number. Got no response. I emailed again. Nothing. I tried again 12 hours after the auction and finally got an email replay that simply said, "Yes, this is correct. I accept Postal Money Orders, Personal Checks or Cashiers Check." So I sent the money order, with a tracking number. By day 3 with no response and the money order sitting in his PO box waiting to be picked up, I started emailing again. No response. I called the number he had listed on Gunbroker. Voicemail. I looked on line and found a second number and called it. Got a guy who works for him. I told him about the trouble I was having getting hold of his boss and he said he'd mention it to him.

After many emails, text messages and voice mails left and 9 days, with no communication, but the money order had been picked up, out of desperation I did an online search on his business license and eventually found his home address. I looked it up on Google Earth and took a screen shot of his house on street view. I then put it in an email and sent it to him simply asking if this is where I needed to go to see him in person and resolve this matter. He called me 4 minutes after I sent the email and told me he had never gotten my FFL guy's info, which was BS. He asked that my guy email it to him so I called my FFL guy and had him email it to him and then called him back. He said it would go out that day (a Friday). It didn't ship until the following Monday. It took 4 days to get here since he sent it USPS. But if finally got here.

It was as advertised but my goodness, after dealing with a guy who had everything squared away and delivered my G26 fast and with plenty of communication, the guy with the G19 was a huge pain to deal with. He had almost all positive feedback. Out of 500 feedback entries, just 9 were negative. But all of them were basically exactly what I was dealing with.

So to sum it up, Gunbroker is great but you have to be really sure about who you are buying from.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

If he actually sent your G19 to your FFL via USPS you should report him to the ATF.

FFL's are only allowed to ship handguns via USPS under very specific and stringent circumstances. As an FFL he should most definitely know this practice is illegal. Unless for official government business, handguns can only be shipped by a contract carrier like UPS or FedEX. They also must be overnighted.

Ive been following your story from the beginning and it seems like this guy is operating with some pretty shady business practices...
    Owner, Maple Leaf Firearms LLC (07 FFL/02SOT)

did an online search on his business license and eventually found his home address. I looked it up on Google Earth and took a screen shot of his house on street view. I then put it in an email and sent it to him simply asking if this is where I needed to go to see him in person and resolve this matter.

Nice touch.
    TN_Mike and mohawkchris like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john.shewchuk View Post
    If he actually sent your G19 to your FFL via USPS you should report him to the ATF.

FFL's are only allowed to ship handguns via USPS under very specific and stringent circumstances. As an FFL he should most definitely know this practice is illegal. Unless for official government business, handguns can only be shipped by a contract carrier like UPS or FedEX. They also must be overnighted.

Ive been following your story from the beginning and it seems like this guy is operating with some pretty shady business practices...
    I'd love to see your source for this information because it is completely contrary to what my own research has shown and just about every experience I've had. It is my understanding that a person with an FFL can ship a pistol via USPS as long as they have PS Form 1508 on file at their post office. This form stipulates that the FFL dealer is only sending the firearm to a firearm manufacturer or a bona fide dealer. When looking up the postal regulations I find this:
    Page C-37, section 1.3, Authorized Persons: "Subject to 1.4, handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government......."
    Nothing I've found indicates that handguns can only be mailed for government business. Nothing I've ever seen outside of the comment you left even hints at such a conclusion. If it is true I'd love to have the documentation for my own purposes.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I buy guns from Niazi Arms shop i mostly buy from there and the dont have high prices.

A buddy of mine got a Kimber CDP in 9mm off of there and got it for a good price (around 1150 I believe brand new). It's like ebay. Make sure they have good reviews and let you inspect the gun etc, and it should go pretty smoothly.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links