Why does Taurus get a bad rap?

This is a discussion on Why does Taurus get a bad rap? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK guys, Iím not a weapons aficionado. My experience withweapons comes from what Iíve taught myself and what I learned in the military. I was ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Why does Taurus get a bad rap?

OK guys, Iím not a weapons aficionado. My experience withweapons comes from what Iíve taught myself and what I learned in the military. I was a Navy hospital corpsman stationed with the Marines at Camp Lejeune. They showed me how to shoot and maintain an M-16 and a 1911 .45. Thank you Marine Corps. Now at the age of 60 I have purchased a Taurus model 85 Ultra-Lite to carry concealed for self-defense. I tried carrying a little .380 semi-auto but didnít want the hassle of breaking it down for cleaning, or training for how to recover from a malfunction. The revolver, simple, easy to clean, and very convenient. I went with Taurus because I thought they were a good company and the price of a Taurus met my budget. Why does Taurus get a bad rap? I had a couple of guys at another forum tell me I didnít do myself any favors buying a Taurus .38 snubby. I am told I should have saved and waited for a S&W or a Ruger. Iím thinking this is just gun snobbery from those who spent $650 on a .38 instead of $289. Why does Taurus get a bad rap? Iím thinking that a company that warrantees their guns for life must be worth buying from. Some of you all with more experience than me tell me I can trust my life to a Taurus revolver. So far Iím very happy with my gun. (donít tell my wife, but Iím even thinking of looking at a Taurus in .357).

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Two of my favorite guns are a Taurus 82 and a Taurus poly pro in 357 mag. Both of these handguns are excellent. Don't worry about what others say, if you're happy with it, then it's a great gun. good luck
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

I don't know why people diss Taurus, I recently bought a PT92 (beretta clone) and have nothing but good things to say about it. It's mainly just a range gun toy, but it shoots every bit as good as my Glock 34 that I bought to use in IDPA, even to the point, I may even use the PT92 once in a while in IDPA.

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

I have the same Taurus revolver and IMO, we both did ourselves a favor. I regularly shoot mine and it's been trouble free and has held up just fine. I've never owned any of their autos, so I can't personally speak on them.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I think part of it might be the cost, the "you get what you pay for" idea. people think if you buy cheap gun its going to be a POS (not always the case). I think there is also a little people feeling they have have to justify spending $500-$600 for a gun, so they say every thing is POS because you didnt spend $500.
    DPMS AR-15
    Mossberg 835 Ulti-MAG
    M&P .40sw
    M&P Shield .40sw

My opinion only, but I think that Taurus' reputation is worse than it really deserves and that Glock's reputation is also better than it deserves. When one has a problem with a Taurus, the gun bashers will say things like "Friend's don't let friend's buy Taurus" Or "Play with the bull and get bucked by the bull", etc. Yet when someone has a problem with a Glock, people will rally behind the person, telling them it's not the gun, it must be the ammo, etc. etc. etc. and to please give Glock another chance, yadda yadda yadda. Glock perfection.......BS. Glocks are nice, but they break and will fail too since they are MAN-MADE. Buy what you like and not what internet gun snobs tell you. God Bless
    Jbuckle, jbum, Phaedrus and 5 others like this.

Oh yeah this should be good. Anyone want some popcorn ??

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Oh yeah this should be good. Anyone want some popcorn ??
    Thanks, but I'm gonna sit this one out.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I think a simple search of the forum would probably turn up a number of threads on this topic.
    atctimmy, candalos and Eric357 like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Some of the most admirable folks on the Forum have Taurus products that they champion. It's just that in my personal experience, observing Taurus products in the hands of close shooting acquaintances, shooting Taurus products owned by close shooting acquaintances, working on Taurus products owned by close shooting acquaintances, along with Taurus' observed reputation for warranty adjustments, I consider the brand to be genuinely crummy. They have problems with metallurgy, or heat-treat, or something, problems with fitting, and attitudes about customer service. I'm just so grateful I'm not required to own and shoot one.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Experienced shooters have ususally owned a Taurus or two including myself. Still have a couple of PT92's which I really like.
    Here is a rule to buy guns as you become more experienced.

1. You don't get a Smith & Wesson .38 for $300
    2. You don't get a Glock for $350

If you are wondering what #1 or #2 mean, give it a few years.....you'll figure it out.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I bought one on a whim and kept it for a short time. It was a Model 617, a 7 shot snub nosed revolver in 357 Magnum. I can't say that I ever had any trouble with it. The trigger was not what you'd get with a S&W. The gun came ported which I definitely don't like on a gun I'm using for concealed carry but all in all I'd say the gun was reliable enough. I can't say I'm Taurus experienced enough to give an enlightened opinion on the product in general but many guys report bad luck with the brand and I wouldn't discount that feedback.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with Taurus. I own an early model 24/7 9MM and haven't had any problems.

That said, for about the same money I prefer Ruger's.

If you can stretch your budget a little go with SIG or Kahr.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

They can be hit or miss. The revolvers seem to be fine, the semi-autos can be really good or not so much. I've purchased three and so far 2 have been flawless and the other just so-so. I still have my PT709 and it has over 2500 flawless rounds through it. Just bout a TCP 738 and it's been great. I've been fortunate and had good experiences. Others haven't been as fortunate and may have negative perceptions. I also own Rugers, Glocks, Springfields, Smiths, Bersas, and a few others. Ive not had issues with any of them. Based on my personal experience, Bersa firearms are the most under-rated. A lot of quality gun for the money.
    Last edited by BugDude; July 30th, 2013 at 07:05 PM.
    atctimmy, BigD193 and Eric357 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have a PT740 Slim & a TCP 738, both are great guns.
    Drzzit likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links