Kahr cw45 failure to feed issue !

This is a discussion on Kahr cw45 failure to feed issue ! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys,I just recently bought a cw45, I love the feel of it for conceal and carry! During the 200 round suggested break in period, ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn

Thread: Kahr cw45 failure to feed issue !

Kahr cw45 failure to feed issue !

Hey guys,I just recently bought a cw45, I love the feel of it for conceal and carry! During the 200 round suggested break in period, the gun would fire but occasionally the next round would get jammed while going into the chamber. It has happened twice after the break in period. I've put bout 400 rounds through so far. Has anyone had similar experience or know of any fixes? Not sure if it's certain ammo or what is going on, but I don't feel as comfortable carrying it as I do my Glock 23.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Ads

Kahrs require a break in before they are reliable. I would rack the slide about 500 times, and go back to the range and fire off a few more mags to see if the problem has corrected itself. Never give up on a Kahr before its properly broken in. Savvy buyers (like me) prey on those that don't understand the Kahr pistol that give up in the first
    couple of hundred rounds and sell.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by cltyus1 View Post
    During the 200 round suggested break in period, the gun would fire but occasionally the next round would get jammed while going into the chamber. It has happened twice after the break in period. I've put bout 400 rounds through so far.
    PM9 #1 -- same issue; FTF mostly; occasionally FTE; had many magazines; tried different springs; tried several different types of FMJ and some JHP; tried racking the slide hundreds of times to loosen things up (if this was contributing); still occurring after two times back to the Kahr shop, after 1000+ rds.

PM9 #2 -- same issue; FTF mostly, worse than the #1 PM9 was; occasional FTE; north of 600rds.

P380 #1 -- same issue; FTF mostly, with some FTE; still occurring after trip to the Kahr shop; 800rds.

P380 #2 -- same issue, basically.

P380 #3 -- same issue, basically.

CW9 -- occasional FTF, rare FTE, though on a far lower scale than the PM9/P380 pistols. 2nd owner on this one, but acquired each of the others new.

Sold them all, as each couldn't be corrected via Kahr or significant numbers of rounds, or ...

Bummed at having to sell them, as IMO they are, bar none, the best of the breed in terms of format and concealability. For me, they are highly shootable, as well, despite the extremely slim profile. In the case of the PM9, it's nearly as accurate as a Glock 19 in my hands, out to ~10-12yds or so. Would definitely be carrying both, if I'd been able to get any one of these 5 to run properly.

If I were to guess, it's the nature of the Kahr magazine to fail to repeatably control the entry angle of the next cartridge from the magazine into the chamber, combined with a fairly tight chamber. To some degree, a smoother chamber seems to improve things. But I'm guessing that without serious rework of the angles involved, and/or serious rework of the magazines to better control this aspect, Kahr won't ever get around the issue.

That said, many people report no issues whatsoever with various Kahr pistols they've had. Sadly, that wasn't my own experience.
    10thmtn likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I hate to hear that.

My CW45 has had zero issue. I didn't even do the 200 rd break in, or the 200 slide pulls.

I simple went home, gave it a good cleaning and went to the range. It fired perfectly from the get go.

I have shot Blazer Brass, Lawman, Speer GDHP, and many, many of my own reloads with Berry plated 230 gr round nose.

Are you certain you are not limp wristing it on occasion? No knocking your shooting ability, just throwing suggestions out there.

BTW, wifes CW9 I did exactly the same thing and have had the same results. Zero issues.

What ammo are you using, and are you certain when you load the mags that you are pushing the rounds completely to the back of the mag?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I would suggest you look into a Glock 36, or the Glock 30s. If you use the shorter 9 round mag with the latter, you may find it even more concealable than the Kahr. Good luck - been through four Kahrs myself.
    ExGM likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The light, small Kahrs are ammo sensitive. Try different practice ammo. Hard to be picky in this ammo shy world, but the problem may be solved this simply. Be sure you have a tight, solid grip.

VIP Member
    You didn't say, is this happening with ball ammo or JHP, or both? My CW45 has eaten everything I've put through it except tula. IT won't function at all with it. If your using the same brand ammo in all your shooting, try a different brand and see if the problem persists.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I've had it happen with fmj and jhp

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Links