New glock sights? worth it?

This is a discussion on New glock sights? worth it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am debating jumping on the James Yeager band wagon and trying out a set of XS big dots on my G19... First I'm not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: New glock sights? worth it?

I am debating jumping on the James Yeager band wagon and trying out a set of XS big dots on my G19...

First I'm not a yeager fan boy although he does put out good info most of the time and he is entertaining.

Anyone have experience with big dots?

I do want to ditch the plastic factory sights for something with tritium and big dots simple sight picture seems like it would be a good choice.

Check out AmeriGlo I-DOTs. AmeriGlo Weapon Sights | I-DOT

Better build quality, better design for emergency racking against a belt, and they're $20 cheaper.
    wheelyfun101 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by synx View Post
    Check out AmeriGlo I-DOTs. AmeriGlo Weapon Sights | I-DOT

Better build quality, better design for emergency racking against a belt, and they're $20 cheaper.
    Thank you.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I am not a fan of the express type sights due to their lack of versatility; fast up close, certainly, but I have no idea how far or precisely I will need to shoot if things go poorly for me one day. I added the 10-8 Performance U notch rear and brass bead front and am very fond of them. The U notch really draws my front sight to me and for whatever reason seems more natural than a squared off sight. Plenty of light on each side of the front makes it fast. The brass bead is a little more dull than I would like though. I will eventually switch to a gold dot when the Wilson Combat Glock sights are released.

I change out the plastic sights on Glock firearms as a rule. I have carried a Glock with stock sights in the past; have never broken a set, but I am not 100% confident in their durability.
    rocky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I am not a fan of the express type sights due to their lack of versatility; fast up close, certainly, but I have no idea how far or precisely I will need to shoot if things go poorly for me one day. I added the 10-8 Performance U notch rear and brass bead front and am very fond of them. The U notch really draws my front sight to me and for whatever reason seems more natural than a squared off sight. Plenty of light on each side of the front makes it fast. The brass bead is a little more dull than I would like though. I will eventually switch to a gold dot when the Wilson Combat Glock sights are released.

I change out the plastic sights on Glock firearms as a rule. I have carried a Glock with stock sights in the past; have never broken a set, but I am not 100% confident in their durability.
    interesting...I'll check out the wilson's

VIP Member
    I ran the big dots on a Sig 228 for several years. They are super fast at close range. Whether you use the sights or point shoot at those ranges is open for debate however. At distance there is a learning curve. When I first put them on the pistol groups started opening up at about 15 yard and by 50 misses on a human sized target started being a somewhat regular event. After adjusting to the sights and learning how to use them at distance the problem diminished. I got to where I could shoot at 50 yards as well as I do with traditional sights. Banging the steel we have set up at 100 yards was always possible but far from automatic.

You really have to shoot them to know if they're right for you. I haven't put them on another gun but wouldn't be opposed to having them on a concealed carry gun. But they aren't some magic wand that will suddenly enable you to shoot if you don't already have solid fundamentals.
    glocknjeep likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I really like the Trijicon HD Night Sights.
    glocknjeep and GH like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I ran the big dots on a Sig 228 for several years. They are super fast at close range. Whether you use the sights or point shoot at those ranges is open for debate however. At distance there is a learning curve. When I first put them on the pistol groups started opening up at about 15 yard and by 50 misses on a human sized target started being a somewhat regular event. After adjusting to the sights and learning how to use them at distance the problem diminished. I got to where I could shoot at 50 yards as well as I do with traditional sights. Banging the steel we have set up at 100 yards was always possible but far from automatic.

You really have to shoot them to know if they're right for you. I haven't put them on another gun but wouldn't be opposed to having them on a concealed carry gun. But they aren't some magic wand that will suddenly enable you to shoot if you don't already have solid fundamentals.
    Yeah I know what you mean about fundamentals...I would call me pretty strong here. I shoot my G 19 pretty well and am at least competitive in my local IDPA weekly meets. I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging should that be how this is coming across. I'm not trying to fix a shooting ability issue...I just don't want plastic sights and am looking at possible replacements. I think the big dots might be nice to pick up quickly while coming up out of the holster for over the slide instinct shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
    You just reminded me of a review I read about these awhile back...a contender as well.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I'm probably the only one, but I like the ball and cup stock Glock sight. It's fast and accurate. I've shot Action Pistol and IDPA with them and do better with them than I do with the night sights. I realize they are plastic, but in 3 years of packing them on the same gun, I never had a problem with them that was related to them being plastic, or not durable enough.

But, and it's a significant 'but', they are not night sights. I have stopped carrying them because I think it most likely I'll need a gun when the light is not good enough to use the stock sights. I have Tritium Fiber Optic sights on the Glock 19 HD gun. I've shot IDPA with them as well, and they are definitely quick to pick up in the light - those fiber rods glow like little search lights. At night, after my eyes are dark adapted, the TFO sights work as well as the Trijicon 3 dot night sights on the other guns, but they aren't any better. The TFO aren't as good for shooting groups, but that's not why I have the gun.

That said, the second Glock 19 is going to get a set of XS Big Dot sights to see how they compare and how easy they are to see at night and in low light conditions. Low light is the hardest time for my 71 year old eyes. Better now that the cataracts are gone, but still not good in low light.

The bottom line: Ya just have to try them and see if they work for you. Figure out how you plan to test them before you change the sights. Do a baseline test with the stock sights. Keep track of score and time. Write it down. Then do the same thing with the new sights. If possible, try for testing during daylight, dusk, and really dark. I'm lucky, I have a place I can do that.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Senior Member Array wheelyfun101's Avatar
    Ameriglo Hack Sights.

Easier to look at their amazing web site, which will walk you through exactly what models fit which guns.
    They are also AWESOME to deal with over the phone!
    .XX likes this.

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
    Me too - excellent choice IMO.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

IMAG0230.jpg

Ameriglo idot pro,high quality and very nice sight picture and quick pick up.
    Made with Trijicon inserts but much cheaper than HDs.

Cool

Use the best set of sights for your shooting applications. The ones that work the best for you.

For myself I want a fast pick up combat sight that works out to 25 yards for my EDC guns and the Big Dots fill that need. They can work quite well past 25 yards with a little practice.

I have them on my G-19 and 23 and a Big Dot front sight on my SP-101.

Image.jpgphoto.jpgphoto.jpg G19, G23 and SP-101
    click images to enlarge.....
    As a retired LEO I need to be able to qualify for my HR-218 yearly and being in my 60's and wearing bifocals it is not as easy as it once was.

Wearing non-perscription range safety glasses the Big Dots allow me to get the sight picture I need to accomplish this.

Regards,

FlaRon
    wmhawth likes this.
    II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T. Larkin

I use xs big dot's on my M&P9c. I've used them on a glock 22 also. I like them. If this is a defensive gun go for it. If you judge xs sights by groups punching paper don't buy them. They are fantastic for moving targets and if your moving. They are very easy to instal on the Glock and they include the front sight tool.
    glocknjeep likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links