XD-S 9mm Range Report

XD-S 9mm Range Report

This is a discussion on XD-S 9mm Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Posted this on another forum. Figured I'd put it here to in case anybody is interested. IMAG0256.jpg So I took my XD-S 9mm out to ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dulla

Thread: XD-S 9mm Range Report

XD-S 9mm Range Report

Posted this on another forum. Figured I'd put it here to in case anybody is interested.

IMAG0256.jpg

So I took my XD-S 9mm out to the range for the second time today. The first time I only put 50 rounds or so through it because I took my little brother shooting for the first time and he preferred the Glock.

This time I came prepared:

50 rounds Federal HST 147 grain JHP
    100 rounds Remington 115 grain
    50 rounds Winchester 115 grain JHP
    50 rounds Brown Bear 115 grain

My XD-S is still stock. I ordered Pearce grip extensions and an extended magazine but neither has arrived yet. The grips are probably the only accessory I'll be adding but we'll see.

I was sharing a lane and targets with a buddy so needless to say I didn't save any targets because they wouldn't have provided any information.

I started of with the Remington. My XD-S performed flawlessly. Groupings were good and I was once again impressed with just how accurate this little handgun is. 50 rounds through I switched to the Federal HST since they're my preferred defense round. Once again the XD-S performed great and I had zero issues.

After finishing off the Remington rounds I switched to the Winchester JHP. I bought these by accident and just wanted a chance to shoot them off. I was surprised by how accurate they were in the XD-S. I actually plan on doing some research now to see how they perform in gel and through denim. If they perform well they might have made a fan of me. Cheap and they shoot great.

Finally on to 50 rounds of Brown Bear. I brought the Brown Bear because it was only 10.95 a box and I knew the Glock would eat it, the XD-S? Wasn't too sure. I actually didn't plan on shooting any through the XD-S and I probably won't shoot anymore(time will tell). Went through a few mags and had a failure to extract. The casing stuck in the barrel. Dropped the mag, cleared the casing and ran through the rest of the box without a hitch.

I'm sure everybody knows that steel ammo isn't the greatest thing to shoot no matter the firearm and either the XD-S didn't like them or the barrel was to hot after shooting all the hollow points. I honestly have no idea.

To sum things up this is one accurate sub compact that's a blast to shoot. I love the stock trigger, love the stock sights and have no issues with the grip safety. I'm not overly worried about the one round that didn't extract and if I steer clear of Brown Bear I doubt the issue will occur again but only time will tell.

If anybody is reading this and you're on the fence about taking the plunge I fully endorse taking it.

That's all. Thanks for taking the time to read. I'm having a great time reading the various threads on this forum and I look forward to contributing when I can.

p.s. Got an email from N82 squared that my holster's on the way. Can't wait!!

*After replaying the failure to extract over in my head I think the problem might have been hitting the slide release with my thumb and chambering the round without enough force.
    Kennydale and maxwell97 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulla View Post
    Posted this on another forum. Figured I'd put it here to in case anybody is interested.

IMAG0256.jpg

So I took my XD-S 9mm out to the range for the second time today. The first time I only put 50 rounds or so through it because I took my little brother shooting for the first time and he preferred the Glock.

This time I came prepared:

50 rounds Federal HST 147 grain JHP
    100 rounds Remington 115 grain
    50 rounds Winchester 115 grain JHP
    50 rounds Brown Bear 115 grain

My XD-S is still stock. I ordered Pearce grip extensions and an extended magazine but neither has arrived yet. The grips are probably the only accessory I'll be adding but we'll see.

I was sharing a lane and targets with a buddy so needless to say I didn't save any targets because they wouldn't have provided any information.

I started of with the Remington. My XD-S performed flawlessly. Groupings were good and I was once again impressed with just how accurate this little handgun is. 50 rounds through I switched to the Federal HST since they're my preferred defense round. Once again the XD-S performed great and I had zero issues.

After finishing off the Remington rounds I switched to the Winchester JHP. I bought these by accident and just wanted a chance to shoot them off. I was surprised by how accurate they were in the XD-S. I actually plan on doing some research now to see how they perform in gel and through denim. If they perform well they might have made a fan of me. Cheap and they shoot great.

Finally on to 50 rounds of Brown Bear. I brought the Brown Bear because it was only 10.95 a box and I knew the Glock would eat it, the XD-S? Wasn't too sure. I actually didn't plan on shooting any through the XD-S and I probably won't shoot anymore(time will tell). Went through a few mags and had a failure to extract. The casing stuck in the barrel. Dropped the mag, cleared the casing and ran through the rest of the box without a hitch.

I'm sure everybody knows that steel ammo isn't the greatest thing to shoot no matter the firearm and either the XD-S didn't like them or the barrel was to hot after shooting all the hollow points. I honestly have no idea.

To sum things up this is one accurate sub compact that's a blast to shoot. I love the stock trigger, love the stock sights and have no issues with the grip safety. I'm not overly worried about the one round that didn't extract and if I steer clear of Brown Bear I doubt the issue will occur again but only time will tell.

If anybody is reading this and you're on the fence about taking the plunge I fully endorse taking it.

That's all. Thanks for taking the time to read. I'm having a great time reading the various threads on this forum and I look forward to contributing when I can.

p.s. Got an email from N82 squared that my holster's on the way. Can't wait!!

*After replaying the failure to extract over in my head I think the problem might have been hitting the slide release with my thumb and chambering the round without enough force.
    I've got the .45 and I concur, sweet shooter . So far has run everything I put into it.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I have the .45 and like it a lot also. Well designed, I like the weight and feel in general.

If you start getting light strikes, thoroughly clean out your striker channel. Sometimes they ship it with that sticky factory grease in the striker channel which can foul up quickly and cause light strikes. The gun also likes being ran wet, so if you start getting FTRB problems, make sure you're all lubed up.

Glad you're enjoying your new XDS. They may be heavy and have a grip texture that makes rough grit sandpaper feel good by comparison, but the build quality is great and the stocks sights are surprisingly good.

VIP Member
    I was right with you until your comments on the steel cased ammo. I will shoot steel case all day long if that is all I had. It's not going to hurt anything at all.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulla View Post
    The problem was not the extra 0.2" in slide movement, it was definitely the steel ammo. Steel does not react to heat and pressure like brass. It swells and the inherent hardness can wedge it in the chamber. I have broken an extractor on steel ammo. I needed to force rounds out of the chamber with a cleaning rod. Some pistols (Glock) have a looser chamber and will not be affected by the properties of steel cases. Of course, that led to other issues in early generations.

Additionally, some cheap steel cases have a coating that gets sticky when heated. I cannot confirm, but that can't aid extraction.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait51 View Post
    I've got the .45 and I concur, sweet shooter . So far has run everything I put into it.
    I read the writeup in Guns and Ammo on the XDs..they were a little harsh on the kick back and recoil on the .45.....what are your feelings on these two items.....I have heard others also be a little harsh on them..but I would like to hear from a actual owner.....thanks
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I also have the XDs in 45 ACP I love the gun and would not trade it for anything. I shot 200 rds yesterday not one issue averaged about about a 3" spread at 25 ft. I was able to take out the heart and lungs of the target. I hope you enjoy yours.
    Max
    USCG Ret.

New guy here from TN. I just bought an XDs 9 today and put about 110 rounds through it (and about 120 through the Glock 19). It does kick a little harder than the Glock which was expected since smaller. It's really fun to shoot...both hands, strong and weak hand. I love the size but got tired of having to fill the mags after 7 shots. The price you pay for a carry weapon under an inch thick!

Ordered a Milt Sparks IWB for it yesterday so I guess I'll get to carry it in about 6 months. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    I read the writeup in Guns and Ammo on the XDs..they were a little harsh on the kick back and recoil on the .45.....what are your feelings on these two items.....I have heard others also be a little harsh on them..but I would like to hear from a actual owner.....thanks

It's subjective, some will say it is and some not but to me it's not.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5, Shield 9mm
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

The recoil of my XDS .45 does not bother me,neither does the grip texture that so many complain about.
    My J frames seem to recoil more than my XDS,even with standard pressure .38 special ammo.

Congrats on that fine shooter. The only problem I would have with the SA XDS is that MADE IN CROATIA it carries, but heck I now drive a RICE BURNER car.
    And congrats on Illinois now joining the FREE WORLD in CC.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Well the recoil is sporty but nothing that can't be handled . My daughter fires her XDS with no adverse effect. The .45 ACP lets one know it's there but return to target is easy and the discomfort non existent. i can say there are little mods that can be done on the grips and one thing certain, one had best hold that little gun properly . It is stupid easy to maintain and nearly perfect concealment

300 rounds and counting

Glad to hear the positive reviews. Got mine ordered and on the way.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

*Update

I've been to the range twice since this posting and have put about 250 - 300 more rounds through it with no issues. All brass ammo.

Gave some of the Brown Bear to a buddy to shoot and he's had about one misfire per box with his Glock 17 so lesson learned. I'll stick to shooting the Brown Bear out of my Glock and stick to brass with the XD-S.

My pearce extender finally arrived and though I had no problem without it, using it makes the gun even more fun to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    The problem was not the extra 0.2" in slide movement, it was definitely the steel ammo. Steel does not react to heat and pressure like brass. It swells and the inherent hardness can wedge it in the chamber. I have broken an extractor on steel ammo. I needed to force rounds out of the chamber with a cleaning rod. Some pistols (Glock) have a looser chamber and will not be affected by the properties of steel cases. Of course, that led to other issues in early generations.

Additionally, some cheap steel cases have a coating that gets sticky when heated. I cannot confirm, but that can't aid extraction.
    I purposefully released the slide with the lever and added a little extra pressure with my thumb just to see what would happen. Everything cycled properly with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I was right with you until your comments on the steel cased ammo. I will shoot steel case all day long if that is all I had. It's not going to hurt anything at all.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.
    I've actually read posts from people using steel ammo in their XD-S with no issues. Personally I'm not interested in a repeat of my last time shooting it so I'll steer clear for now.

Sponsored Links