Best quality-low recoil??

This is a discussion on Best quality-low recoil?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Dear Folks: If money were no object.... What would be the best high quality, lightest weight, lowest recoil 9mm or 40 that is small and ...

Dear Folks:

If money were no object....
    What would be the best high quality, lightest weight, lowest recoil 9mm or 40 that is small and easily concealable? Or am I asking too much? Is anything available (weight wise) in a semi-auto, that is on par with the Smith Airlite?

Thanks to all who respond.

Beretta Px4. Hands down. Rotating barrel system makes the recoil lower than all other pistols in the same size/ballpark. It's a polymer pistol as well, so it's light. It is full sized though, which is it's only real drawback for CCW use.

Usually, the lighter the pistol, the more recoil it has.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Assistant Administrator
    First off

You mix several factors, which admittedly do somewhat define the ''ultimate'' platform. However - overall the major factor IMO is pure physics - smaller and lighter in a cal will by default be that much harder to control and maybe less comfortable than larger and heavier in same cal.

I can instance two extremes - my R9 Rohrbaugh which will shoot std pressure 9mm - and my EDC 226 ST with +P 9mm. Apples and oranges!!! The SIG is a pussycat to shoot - the R9 is a snappy and less than comfortable lil' fella.

The R9 fully loaded is 17 ounces - not as light as a KT but still easy on weight and ''pocket droop". The SIG is sig(ha pun!)nificantly over twice that weight loaded. Both guns are top end pricing.

Or am I asking too much?
    I think so yes - even the ultra light snubs are IMO bears to shoot. All that said - for the few rounds needed in a crisis - we would manage just fine but sustained practice? Not so much fun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To add - Sammy has a good suggestion - the PX4 does seem to have a good niche with compromize beneficially on size and recoil/handling.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Kahr P9 and Sig 226 Classic, the Sig even with the heaviest +p loads is well controlled while the Kahr with the same load (147gr JHP) is painful to shoot.

I adhere to the idea that heavy pistols (within reason) offer better recoil control and followup shot placement. I shoot better with the Sig because I practice more because it feels better, so I practice more..........never ending cycle.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

You have to make some tradeoffs

Quote Originally Posted by acroreef View Post
    What would be the best high quality, lightest weight, lowest recoil 9mm or 40 that is small and easily concealable? Or am I asking too much?
    I agree with the previous posters who point out that for a given ammo, the recoil increases as the gun weight goes down. And for a given gun, the recoil increases as the ammo weight and velocity increase. You can't get away from the physics of action and reaction when you are throwing lead weights around. I'm waiting for a laser gun that won't have any recoil, but it isn't available yet.

If you want to minimize recoil for a given caliber and ammo, and still have a smaller gun for easy concealment, I would suggest forgetting about "lightweight gun" and go with an all steel gun. With a good holster and belt you can easily handle the weight of a 25 to 35 ounce gun on your hip, and an all steel gun will have the smallest physical dimensions because of the density of steel compared to aluminum, polymer, titanium, etc.

A good example of this would be the Kahr K9, a 25 ounce all steel 9mm gun with 7+1 capacity that is very thin and compact for easy concealment on the belt:

Another example is the STI LS9, a 28 ounce all steel 1911 type 9mm with 7+1 capacity that is not much larger than the Kahr K9 above:

I'd go with the Glock 26, the sub-compact in 9 mm. I had a 27, the .40 version, and recoil was too much for me, so I stepped down to this pistol and love it.

It's very concealable, has adequate capacity (11 rounds), and has plenty of options on the market (I put on Tru-Glo TFO sights). Even choice of LaserMax or Crimson Trace laser sights if you choose to go that way.

You can't go wrong with a Glock, and this one weighs in under 22 ounces with an empty magazine in it.

Glocks are reliable, durable and even ugly.....

And it carries very comfortably in a Milt Sparks "Watch Six" holster:
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

First Of All...Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Your Question...
    "What would be the best high quality, lightest weight, lowest recoil 9mm or 40 that is small and easily concealable? Or am I asking too much?"

...is very subjective. There are many choices, and if you ask 10 people, you will get 15 opinions.
    It is really a matter of your comfort and capabilities. What feels good to you? Can you shoot it well, and can you really depend upon it? Is it comfortable for YOU to CCW?
    If you don't send someone to but your shoes for you, why would you want them to make your final decision on a carry pistol?

Opinions are great, but you have to make a 'personal comfort' choice.

OMO...Enjoy your search!

Stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Anything in 9mm or .40 that weighs under 20-21 ounces empty
    is going to recoil heavily.

Any 9mm or .40 with a barrel Under 3.5" is a Ballistic Gamble.

Any gun that comes with a Free set of Steak Knives is not a
    good idea
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Beretta Px4. Hands down. Rotating barrel system makes the recoil lower than all other pistols in the same size/ballpark.
    wow...you learn something everyday...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Lead Moderator
    Bottom line several diffrent pistols could fit the bill. Alot would depend on what you like or can handle.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    wow...you learn something everyday...
    I wouldn't have believed it until I owned one. When the polymer light Px4 recoils less than a heavy SIG firing the same rounds it's undeniable though.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    from Central Florida!

Your Question...
    "What would be the best high quality, lightest weight, lowest recoil 9mm or 40 that is small and easily concealable? Or am I asking too much?"

...is very subjective. There are many choices, and if you ask 10 people, you will get 15 opinions.
    It is really a matter of your comfort and capabilities. What feels good to you? Can you shoot it well, and can you really depend upon it? Is it comfortable for YOU to CCW?
    If you don't send someone to but your shoes for you, why would you want them to make your final decision on a carry pistol?

Opinions are great, but you have to make a 'personal comfort' choice.

OMO...Enjoy your search!

Stay safe!

ret
    retsupt is right again. Just get what you like. I have a S&W MP9 now and love it. 9 mm is great for me. I hear the Steyr S and M series are great and they seem to meet your criteria. I wanted a Steyr S9-A1 but could not find one.

Steyr and S&W both have lifetime warranties on their guns.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Links