Have you actually tried carrying a Glock?

This is a discussion on Have you actually tried carrying a Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, forgive me, for the tongue and cheek tone of this post, and if you don't agree with me don't worry you will eventually:) (kidding.) ...

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: Have you actually tried carrying a Glock?

OK, forgive me, for the tongue and cheek tone of this post, and if you don't agree with me don't worry you will eventually:) (kidding.)

It occurs to me that I never and I MEAN NEVER, ok almost never read a thread about someone saying,"to heck with this Glock 19," or whatever favorite Glock model,"I'm drinking the M&P coolaid, or H&K coolaid, or whatever coolaid." The only exception to this is when the Gen 4's first came out but I hear practically nothing about those dark days and that was just, what, 2 or 3 years ago?

The only exception I can fathom is the 1911 guys and gals. Well, I aint going there!

I use to be one of the Glock haters myself. I said things like they are butt ugly and I won't carry an ugly gun. Or I would say things like the M&P is more ergonomic and is just as reliable. Or what ever generic statement about some pistol that makes your pistol better for you than the Glock. Now I know for some there are better pistols than the Glock.

Then I came by my G-19 through a trade. I took it apart and really examined it's internals. I carried it and shot it a few times. It occurred to me that I have never shot any other pistol as well. By this I mean I didn't feel I had to concentrate on any fundamentals, I just put the sights on point of aim and bam, a neat 9mm diameter hole appeared really close to that spot. My groups didn't open up much either as I increased the speed. Now I am over the shame and will proudly say god I love my Glock.

Anyone ever give a Glock any real range or carry time and then move to something else?

2. Remove Ads

Yeah I did. A couple of times. First with an XD40 and then with a Kahr CW9. THe Glock grip isn't the best fit for my size and shaped hand. The XD grip works VERY well for me and is much, much more ergonomic. And the CW9 fits my hand so well you'd think the gun was designed with my hand in mind.

But, both times I came back to Glock. I currently carry a G26 or G19 and have a G23 as well. The XD fit my hand better but it is larger than the 19/23 and it holds a round less than the 23. The CW9 has magazine problems just like most of the Kahr CW9's do. The mags suck plain and simple.

But I am happy with my Glocks. They work. Every times I want them to and I have 100% confidence in them.
    glocknjeep likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Yep I carried a Glock 22 for a year and half edc, shot the heck out of it also. As ive said before me and Glock just dont fit each other. I spent that entire time quite able to defend myself with it but simply not shooting it as fast or as well as other platforms. It was a fine weapon, simply didnt fit me. Strangely enough the SW40VE I have at the moment, which I realize is a very close knock off of the Glock I can shoot much better, faster, more accurately and the grip angle just to me is better.

Ive shot all sorts of pistols. Taurus, Smith, Beretta, Rugers, and some 1911s over those years. Some mine some borrowed.

Any and all of them I can shoot better than I can a Glock. Not the guns fault, or really mine. We just dont mix for some reason ive never really fathomed.
    Snub44 and TN_Mike like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Hated Glock in the gun store. Loved Glock when I rented one and shot it side-by-side vs my Sig P239.
    Carried Glock 27 Gen3 and then Glock 26 Gen4.
    Sold them off to explore "greener pastures", and spent the past year buying/selling/trading fun guns such as a Gemini Customs Ruger/Dan Wesson CCO/S&W 66 snub/etc, etc...

All fine guns. BUT.....when it comes to down and dirty weapon of choice: Glock is my bottom line.

I've shot the S&W, XD, an older S&W, but the feel of tightness and reliability of the G26 is noticeable. Accurate, tight, light. I just sometimes wish they had the grip safety as an option. Of course that complicates the internals, so maybe not so much. Simple is part of reliable.

I did not once , not twice, but 3 different times. I will never waste time or money on a Glock again

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glocknjeep View Post
    Anyone ever give a Glock any real range or carry time and then move to something else?
    I added both an M&P full-sized and compact to my edc line-up after carrying andputting many thousand rounds through my 19 and chopped 17. I don't believe I moved on, but I have certainly added to. I carry my full-sized M&P most often now, but I still like and trust the Glocks.
    40Bob likes this.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Tried them fired them found them to be nothing more than an average gun with an over blown hype attached to them.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by glocknjeep View Post
    Yes.
    glockcoma likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

...yes...

VIP Member
    I've handled and shot my youngest sons Glock 19. While I have nothing against them, it just didn't have that "feel" for me. Not going to spend the money for one when it doesn't feel right to me.
    dangerranger likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Yeah I did. A couple of times. First with an XD40 and then with a Kahr CW9. THe Glock grip isn't the best fit for my size and shaped hand. The XD grip works VERY well for me and is much, much more ergonomic. And the CW9 fits my hand so well you'd think the gun was designed with my hand in mind.

But, both times I came back to Glock. I currently carry a G26 or G19 and have a G23 as well. The XD fit my hand better but it is larger than the 19/23 and it holds a round less than the 23. The CW9 has magazine problems just like most of the Kahr CW9's do. The mags suck plain and simple.

But I am happy with my Glocks. They work. Every times I want them to and I have 100% confidence in them.
    I did the same as Mike, had a 33 (.357 Sig is a CC beast!) I sold it at a gunshow for $350 (smdh) and spent 2 years looking for a replacement. Tried a Berreta Bobcat, Taurus TCP (I think its called), Sig P250 9mm Sub, Berreta nano 9mm, I finally got back in the game and got my Gen 4 Glock 33 again, and this one will get burried with me!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images
    zonker1986 likes this.

Haven't owned one, yet, myself. Have carried a couple of G19's, and have done a few IPSC competitions with them. Opted for other choices, given preferred ergonomics of the others. Might well do a G19 at some point, given its otherwise excellent attributes.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member

Of course.
    A few years ago a buddy of mine was building a house so we carried lots of them from the stack to the new home ........

oh you said GLOCK, I thought you said BRICK.

Shot a 17 about 7,8,9 years ago and it was alright, but it didn't set my hair on fire or anything.
    I think if I found a 26 for dirt cheap, I may pick it up and off my go-to-work-gun; a Kel Tec P11.

They are obviously fine pistols or they would not have endured.
    They also had a terrific marketing platform as well, and that helped immensely.
    Not saying other firearm manufacturers haven't done it as well, but I think Glock was the most successful, and that helped light the fire within the Non LEO community.
    Glad you have found a great fit.
    ZOMBIEvs42 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    No.

Depending on the situation will carry something different, but the go to choice is either the 26 or 30.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Links