Considering a .45 and have a question for Glock smart people....

This is a discussion on Considering a .45 and have a question for Glock smart people.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Considerations: Glock 30s and Glock 30... Concerns: Glock 30 has heavier, thicker slide and thicker barrel. In .45 caliber in the long term would not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Considering a .45 and have a question for Glock smart people....

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

Considering a .45 and have a question for Glock smart people....

Considerations: Glock 30s and Glock 30...

Concerns: Glock 30 has heavier, thicker slide and thicker barrel.

In .45 caliber in the long term would not the heavier and thicker be an advantage for long term wear and tear. I realize the heavier 30 would be better for recoil and kickback over the 30s but my main question is long term wear and tear.

Anyone really smart about Glock manufacturing please feel free to respond......
    Do not need non-glock responses. Thanks.....
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Try to wear out a Glock, I dare you.

I have a G30 and will admit it's not the "ideal" gun for IWB for some. It's not the size that I notice as much as the weight. Eleven rounds of .45 adds up, I don't care what gun it's in. I carry mine OWB. As for shooting, it's pure pleasure. I say recoil and minimal for a .45. A G30S would be lighter and a bit thinner in the slide, but would have more recoil and snap. How much? That's subjective, and what increase there is will vary from one person to the next.

If you ever have to draw and fire in SD, I doubt you'll notice any difference in recoil between the two. Oh, and a G21 13-rd mag makes a great backup or HD magazine.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

DBS
    You will wear out before either the 30 or the 30s does. You can eliminate durability from the equation as you compare these two.
    5lima30ret and Flfiremedic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DBS View Post
    You will wear out before either the 30 or the 30s does. You can eliminate durability from the equation as you compare these two.
    Well for SD CC I really like the 30s over the 30 but was concerned with the thinner metal in both the slide and the barrel.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I doubt you will have any durability problems. Saying that I don't think we will know anything solid for a few yrs being that this is a "new design."
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

Quote Originally Posted by FLMOPE View Post
    I doubt you will have any durability problems. Saying that I don't think we will know anything solid for a few yrs being that this is a "new design."
    Good point there for sure.

How about accuracy? Does slide-to-barrel lockup change with the thinner slide?
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

The 30's bigger slide and barrel seem to handle the .45 ACP load better than the more slender/lighter 30S/36 slide and barrel. The 36 has a history of being problematic while I've heard nothing but good about the 30 and 30SF (my vote's for the 30 SF)

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Have there been any durability issues with the G36? That should be a good indicator.

Jim

Just get the notion of wearing a Glock out, out of your head.

See the video below.

1000 Round Glock Torture test Part One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JuF23qazI

term wear and tear. I realize the heavier 30 would be better for recoil and kickback over the 30s but my main question is long term wear and tear.

Do not need non-glock responses. Thanks.....[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    Have there been any durability issues with the G36? That should be a good indicator.

Jim
    The 36, while a big(ish) gun falls under the "small gun" definition - small, short, light barrel and slide shooting a heavy round. It exhibits the same sort of tendencies as Colt Defenders, Kimber Ultra Carry's and other "small" pistols. It's just the nature of the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post

See the video below.

term wear and tear. I realize the heavier 30 would be better for recoil and kickback over the 30s but my main question is long term wear and tear.

I own Glocks 19, 26 and 36. My 36 is in my safe more often than not because it's not 100% reliable like my 9mm's are

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Considerations: Glock 30s and Glock 30...

Concerns: Glock 30 has heavier, thicker slide and thicker barrel.

In .45 caliber in the long term would not the heavier and thicker be an advantage for long term wear and tear. I realize the heavier 30 would be better for recoil and kickback over the 30s but my main question is long term wear and tear.

Without a doubt, I'd pick the 30s first.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post

See the video below.

I guess what I am really trying to answer is would the increased internal pressures from a .45 have any bearing on the thinner metal.........

One of the main reason I bought my Glock30 and did not wait for a Glock30S was proven reliability. I am almost sure that the long term reliability and longevity will be negligent for most shooters that do not shoot every day like myself. The Glock30 has been around a while and I must say I am very satisfied with it's function and the thicker slide and barrel I believe is a benefit not a liability.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links