Glock 23 Gen3 last round FTF - short 10 second video shows the issue

This is a discussion on Glock 23 Gen3 last round FTF - short 10 second video shows the issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I tried to revive an old thread but I figured I may as well start a new one because it was 3 years old and ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By TN_Mike
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By detective
  • 1 Post By smolck

Thread: Glock 23 Gen3 last round FTF - short 10 second video shows the issue

Glock 23 Gen3 last round FTF - short 10 second video shows the issue

I tried to revive an old thread but I figured I may as well start a new one because it was 3 years old and there were no answers.
    What causes this and how do I fix it?
    Happens with the last round in the mag on occasion. I fire with both hands firm grip. I noticed some people think this happens when firing with weak or one handed operation.

2. Remove Ads

Does it happen with just one magazine, or with all?

It's unlikely you're changing your grip for the last shot in a string; more likely is an issue with the magazine. OEM Glock mag, or aftermarket? 10-round or 13?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    If its just that one mag, maybe weak spring. Replace or try another mag to see if that fixes problem.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

This is a Glock. Glocks do not fail, it must be you.

Just kidding! I would also like to know if this is with just one mag or all of your mags. Also, if this is one mag, make sure if it was taken apart and cleaned that it was put back together properly. I'd suspect a defect in the follower possibly.

If it happens in all your mags I honestly can't imagine what might cause just the last round to do that and non of the others other than an out of spec follower.

Has the gun been to Glock to try to correct the problem?
    Ghost1958 and smolck like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Does it happen with just one magazine, or with all?

It's unlikely you're changing your grip for the last shot in a string; more likely is an issue with the magazine. OEM Glock mag, or aftermarket? 10-round or 13?
    That is a good question. OEM Glock mag 13 round. The original that came with the gun. I keep one loaded with personal defense rounds and I've used this one for the majority of all of the rounds that I've fired through this gun. Probably fired about 1500 rounds through it max. I guess I never thought I could wear out a mag so it didn't dawn on me. I keep that one unloaded when stored. Anyone know what the life expectancy is on an OEM glock mag? - just curious

Dang near infinite, but who knows what real-world factors creep in. You definitely need to assess whether it's that one mag.

BTW, as has been discussed at length here previously, unloading your magazines to 'save' the springs is useless. Unload 'em if you need to or want to, but it is the compression/expansion cycles that wear the spring out, not leaving the mag loaded.

I suggest getting at least a couple more mags. The OEM 10-rounders (the only legal ones for non-LEO when I got my G23) might be a bit cheaper than the 13-rounders, so consider saving them for range use. My personal standard is a minimum of 4 mags for any serious defensive firearm I own.

If it turns out to be the magazine, replacement springs are commonly available.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Dang near infinite, but who knows what real-world factors creep in. You definitely need to assess whether it's that one mag.

BTW, as has been discussed at length here previously, unloading your magazines to 'save' the springs is useless. Unload 'em if you need to or want to, but it is the compression/expansion cycles that wear the spring out, not leaving the mag loaded.

I suggest getting at least a couple more mags. The OEM 10-rounders (the only legal ones for non-LEO when I got my G23) might be a bit cheaper than the 13-rounders, so consider saving them for range use. My personal standard is a minimum of 4 mags for any serious defensive firearm I own.

If it turns out to be the magazine, replacement springs are commonly available.
    So are followers and base plates and pretty much any other part you could ever need or want for a Glock. It's one of the biggest selling points to them.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

G40No6.jpgmagazin_e[1].jpg

Just my 'guesstimated' troubleshooting here.... check your magazine follower for excessive wear OR your magazine spring isn't 'pushing' the follower into proper position for the last round (possibly due to wear/mis-shappened/dirt). Damage from ejecting the mag onto the hard floor at the range 'could' be a culprit for mis-shappen/damaged followers, but that's pretty rare.

As for the 'save the mag spring' that shouldn't be an issue. A few years back I found a fully loaded G23 mag at the bottom of my range bag that had to have been there, forgotten, for almost two years. It preformed flawlessly. Gasmitty's right IRT spring wear.

I have 10 or so mags for my 23 and I 'rotate 'em' in my carry 'lineup'. I have no fear of 'wearing 'em out'. I would defiantly consider investing in one or two more mags and make an effort to ID if it's just the one mag causing this issue or it's common with both of your current mags.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Sounds like a magazine spring but I couldn't see clearly the round (if that lighter colored thing was the round) but lookit, you don't have to go thru all of this diagnosis stuff. Send it to Glock, they'll replace most of the important internals, I did this with a used Glock I had, no charge. They don't bother diagnosing and testing, poking, prodding etc They just replace it all. Least they did a few years ago. You get back half a new gun (they don't replace the barrel and slide. And they had no interest whether the gun was in or out of warranty. )
    goldshellback likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Sounds like a magazine spring but I couldn't see clearly the round (if that lighter colored thing was the round) but lookit, you don't have to go thru all of this diagnosis stuff. Send it to Glock, they'll replace most of the important internals, I did this with a used Glock I had, no charge. They don't bother diagnosing and testing, poking, prodding etc They just replace it all. Least they did a few years ago. You get back half a new gun (they don't replace the barrel and slide. And they had no interest whether the gun was in or out of warranty. )
    Sending something to Glock that isn't broken just to get a bunch of free stuff just drives up the prices for the rest of us.

OP, shoot your gun with your other mag. I bet the problem disappears.
    PAT FINN likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Links