2 1/2" Model 19 versus 2 3/4" Speed-Six?

This is a discussion on 2 1/2" Model 19 versus 2 3/4" Speed-Six? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings! Which weapon would you chose for a compact OWB .357 Mag six-shot carry gun? This gun would be shot with .357 Mag ammo- I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: 2 1/2" Model 19 versus 2 3/4" Speed-Six?

Greetings!

Which weapon would you chose for a compact OWB .357 Mag six-shot carry gun?

This gun would be shot with .357 Mag ammo- I already have have .38 Specials to fill the lower power role.

Speed-Six features:

- Round butt

- Fixed sights (regulated for ???)

- Stronger than K-frame (???)

Model 19 features:

- Round butt

- Adjustable sights

- Weaker forcing cone (??? cracking from 110 - 125 gr loads)

Thanks for your input.

Hunter

2. Remove Ads

Ruger speed six no question if you are going to be firing mostly full house magnum loads thru it. Ruger revolvers of the sp speed and security series in 357 mag are built like tanks.
    sensei2, Eagleks and CLASS3NH like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    Threw my Speed Six at a tank once. The only damage was a dent in the turret of the tank!

Seriously though, the Speed Six is built to with stand the heavy magnum loads. Another option, if you want adjustable sights is the Security Six. Unfortunately the Security Six does not come in a round butt version.
    sensei2 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Updated Garage pics 115.jpg
    Without a doubt go with the Speed Six! It is built like a tank! Their trigger can be made very smooth! I have a 1976 model Police Service Six (same gun with square butt) with a 2 3/4" bbl. It is more accurate and smoother than the S&W 4" Mod 19 I was issued many years ago!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by 5lima30ret; August 8th, 2013 at 06:56 PM.
    GhostMaker and sensei2 like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

My model 19 has the sweetest trigger of any DA I've ever fired. For that reason alone I'd choose the S&W.

That's a tough one. I'm a huge fan of those 2.5" k-frames. However, if this is going to be a magnum shooter, and you already have cracks in the forcing cone of the Model 19, I'd definitely choose the Speed Six.

I could be wrong about this, but I'd guess that the sights are probably adjusted for 158 grain ammo. I've been told that's what most fixed sight 357/38 revolvers were sighted for.
    sensei2 likes this.

Value wise, where I live the Model 19 would bring a considerably higher price than the Ruger. For value I'd choose it. Both guns are winners.

...SpeedSix over a K frame anytime...(but they ARE clunky, some say)...
    sensei2 likes this.

Another vote for the Ruger around here the short barreled Sixes Bigfoot scarce.

Personal opinion exhibited here. I'm enthusiastically in favor of the smooth, svelte Model 19 (or Model 66). Sublime double-action pull and an exquisitely blissful single action trigger sear! Not to mention the stunning good looks. I particularly don't want "built-like-a-tank." Over the years I've had no issues with K-Frame Magnums used with full-powered (some fairly hairy) handloads featuring 158 grain bullets or other similar weight. I've never been really interested in the overrated 110-125 grain bullet weights in the .357 Magnum cartridge but 30 years ago actually did do most handload development for the .357 Magnum cartridge with 110 grain bullets using a 4-inch Model 19. It survived the experimental maximum loads in fine style.

An aside: Stoke up the maximum listed charge of Blue Dot, as published in the 1978 Sierra reloading manual, beneath Sierra's 110 grain JHP to see the largest fire ball event ever to erupt in the northern hemisphere. You will feel that your shoelaces have been singed after the first one goes off. Don't try this load without working up to it. It's not really the speediest handload one can develop for the 110 grain bullet in the .357 Magnum but is easily the most spectacular.

The 2 1/2-inch K-Frame Magnum has to be the top concealed carry .357 Magnum revolver ever made ... unless one prefers his "totin' " revolvers to have more snag-free fixed sights. I prefer fixed sight revolvers for carry. Then the top .357 Magnum choice would be the 3-inch Model 13 (or stainless version, the Model 65).

The .357 Magnum revolvers around here see considerably less use than the favorite .38 Special revolvers but when they are shot they only see .357 Magnum ammunition.
    Cuda66, wmhawth, Pinot and 12 others like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Dang....that 2 1/2" Model 66 HAS to be one of the best looking firearms ever made.
    GhostMaker likes this.

Anyone with some degree of class would contact S&W and send that gun in for repair, the post hole digging Ruger will make due during that couple of weeks. Then return to your Model 19.

Here is my model 19 with a weird factory 5" bbl.
    bmcgilvray, wmhawth, OD* and 1 others like this.

K Frame Smith.

Ruger stronger than Smith? I don't think so, how many thousands of full power 125 grain magnums you gonna run through it?

13 s.jpg

This model 13 was made in 1982 and has had many thousands of magnums thru it. I will challenge anyone to find a Ruger with as nice of an action.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

It doesn't get much sweeter than a Model 19 S&W. Here's the one that has kept me company for 30 years.
    Attached Images
    bmcgilvray, Aceoky, OD* and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    S&W

unless you are planning on shooting 25,000 rounds or more out of it in your lifetime.

Resale alone.
    Ruger is a terrific pistol as well.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links