Kahr CW9 or Kahr P9

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 or Kahr P9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking to get either the CW9 ($375) or P9 ($590). Basically the same gun but the p9 have polygonal rifling and the cw9 has conventional. ...

Thread: Kahr CW9 or Kahr P9

Kahr CW9 or Kahr P9

Looking to get either the CW9 ($375) or P9 ($590).

Basically the same gun but the p9 have polygonal rifling and the cw9 has conventional.

There is some better machined parts on the p9.

Need some opinions on these guns. Never shot either one. Only have help the CW9.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I have a PM9 and a CW45 (and recently shot a rental CW9), so I think I can respond reasonably intelligently here. There is no doubt the P and PM series are better built than the CW series, but IMO the CWs are just fine for SD guns and are a steal in the $379 range. I don't know that you get $200 plus more gun for a P or PM series.

So in summary, I'd get the CW9 and buy $200 worth of ammo to get you through the infamous Kahr "break-in period".
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I have a CW9 that gets carried a lot. It's my 'around the house and yard' gun and also the dog-walking gun. The P9 has a dovetailed front sight vs. a pinned sight on the CW9, if that makes a difference to you.

I'm very happy with my CW9 and hardly see the need to spend $200 more for the 'better' barrel and detail parts. FWIW, my gun has never bobbled a round since new, regardless of ball or +P JHPs.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The small parts (trigger, slide lock) of the CW are made of sintered metal as opposed to being machined and there are more sharp edges, as well. The extra $200 may be enough for both durability and comfort.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I look at the features of the two guns a bit differently. If I'm looking for a carry gun, I want it exactly as I prefer or at least very close. IMHO, the main differences and features that would tend to make me choose the P9 over the Cw9 are;

* The polygonal barrel. Not a huge thing but I do prefer them.
    * The wider choice in sights in the P9.
    * The P9 comes in all black. I prefer all black.

I'm not sure the real prices are a full $200 apart. Around here the difference is about $180. The second magazine is worth about $30, so the real difference is about $150. For that much I'd want to get the perfect gun, not the almost perfect gun.

Either way, the two guns shoot the same, have the same trigger, etc. I tend to stay with my carry guns for a long time, and I'm willing to spend a little more to get it the way I want.

My CM9 and my CW9 have been flawless from day 1 with any and all ammo I feed them. You should be putting so much ammo thru it that a $200 purchase price difference will be a drop in the bucket. That being said I'd rather have that extra $200 for ammo, holsters and extra mags. The differences between the two do not give any advantages that I can see in a defensive pistol and they are both an excellent choice!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I own a P380 and have shot a CW9 and a P9. The polygonal barrel is nice, but the barrel and the machining are not worth the $200 difference. I would buy the CW9.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyebersa View Post
    I own a P380 and have shot a CW9 and a P9. The polygonal barrel is nice, but the barrel and the machining are not worth the $200 difference. I would buy the CW9.
    Agreed.

Have several Kahrs of both the CW/CW series as well as the PM/K series. I find nothing functionally different between any of them. They all have the elite trigger and are very similar in most every detail, function wise that is. The PM, P and K series are just fitted with better grade barrels and sights as well as a little finer cosmetic machining/finishing. For me the biggest difference between the series is that, the CW/CM only come with one mag, which is just lame a hell IMO. when I carry one of my Kahrs I usually carry two spare mags too, for a total of 14 additional rounds. Will I need um, heck if I know, but I'd rather have um with me just incase.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

How important is the extra $200 to you? The P series is an upgrade, but the CW is a great little pistol too. You'll likely be happy with either one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    So in summary, I'd get the CW9 and buy $200 worth of ammo to get you through the infamous Kahr "break-in period".
    When I got a CW9, I cycled the slide by hand 200 times to help with break in after lubing it up. That really helped and I avoided having a break in period. Did that to a Shield as well when I noticed it was finicky out of the box.

Recently picked up a CW9. Had a PM9 a few years ago. Had more issues with the PM9 than the CW9. The PM was stopping about a millimeter or two out of battery even after the "break-in" period. Never stopped the gun from firing but was disconcerting. Ended up selling it.

Thus far, the CW9 has run like a champ -- no issues. Personally I don't think the P series warrants the extra bucks. All you're really getting with the P series is "fancier" machining on the slide, polygonal rifling in the barrel, and a dovetailed front sight, none of which is going to make the gun shoot better or more reliably.

I love my cm9. I know it is off topic but just wanted to say that I love the Kahr for EDC. The trigger is very smooth and the gun is very accurate. I had a bit of a problem with the slide sticking back after mostly each shot but Kahr has excellent customer service and took care of my problem quickly. They paid for shipping back to them.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

I have a cm and cw9 and the larger upgraded tp40 and find that if there was a basic to sized pistol I would have bought that . I would take the extra bucks from the cw9 and buy 3 or 4 mags and some ammo with the difference in price. Even with sights, you have the same brand options for sight as far as night sights or fiber optic you just don't have the dovetailed front.

Links