PM9 vs P938? Thoughts?

PM9 vs P938? Thoughts?

This is a discussion on PM9 vs P938? Thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm in investigating a bug for either pocket or ankle carry. Went to my lgr today and was able to rent an LC9 and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: PM9 vs P938? Thoughts?

PM9 vs P938? Thoughts?

So I'm in investigating a bug for either pocket or ankle carry. Went to my lgr today and was able to rent an LC9 and the PM9. Since my edc is a Sig P250, I expected the DAO Ruger to be easier for me to adjust to, but I was way more accurate with the striker fired Kahr. So I have eliminated the Ruger, just didn't feel right. I was hoping to also rent a P938, but no dice. So I turn the the DC members.

The Sig and Kahr are close price wise, but they are completely different style guns. The Sig is SAO, and the Kahr Striker. I'm guessing the Sig will have a bit less kick, as it is metal frame vs the poly Kahr. I am concerned about carrying the Sig cocked and locked in my pocket or on my ankle where it would be more likely to be jarred and the safety accidentally disengaged. Is this even a viable concern? I'm not familiar with the design of most pocket or ankle holsters and weather they tend to cover the safety on the Sig.

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

I say PM9. Of course I'm biased as I own one. I absolutely love the thing. Extremely accurate & very easy to CC. Very few guns can match the smoothness of the PM9 trigger which allows the PM9 to be so accurate despite being DAO. You've already experienced a poorly designed trigger in the LC9 which I believe makes it a difficult gun to shoot accurately. I know, I've tried. I've never been a fan of SA guns for CC. Just not a believer in the added step of disengaging a safety under pressure situations, not to mention the possibility of AD as you've already mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    bigmacque likes this.

An accidental discharge (AD) is a moot point at best. The P938 has about an 8.5~ lb single action trigger. Yes that is almost double that of stock glocks (I said almost). And it has a safety. You are way more likely to have an AD with a glock than with a P938. But Glocks are safe right? If they are then P938 would be inherently safer.

PM9 and P938 are great guns and I will not bash either. Just had to address the AD fallacy. I hav shot both and I prefer the P938 much more, """for me"""

The Sig 938 has really positive stop on the safety, you would want a pocket holster that covers the safety as well as the trigger. That being said my 238 has been in my pocket about 180 days out if the last year and the safety has always remained engaged. That is more than I can say for the EMP I had, that safety would be disengaged about twice a week so I dropped itbfrom my carry rotation. I just picked up a 938 but I hav not started to carry it yet, the kahr was also afinal contender, I liked the slimmer feel of the Sig and the similarity to the 238 which I love except for the .380 part.
    Happy Shopping.

Sent from my iPad

I have both and for me the PM9 is a better carry gun.. After carrying my 938 for a while I went back to my original train of thought as it applies to a carry gun... No safety is what I want when the pooh hits the fan. Draw point and squeeze the trigger is all I want to do. Besides, the PM9 is lighter and handles the recoil just as well as the 938. Pretty much every thing else is the same dimensional wise.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I have both and for me the PM9 is a better carry gun.. After carrying my 938 for a while I went back to my original train of thought as it applies to a carry gun... No safety is what I want when the pooh hits the fan. Draw point and squeeze the trigger is all I want to do. Besides, the PM9 is lighter and handles the recoil just as well as the 938. Pretty much every thing else is the same dimensional wise.
    That too. Nothing trumps what feels best in your hand. If that is the PM9 or the P938 go with what works and feels best. That being said, the PM9 with the magazine in is 15.9 oz (14 oz the actual gun and 1.5 the mag) and the P938 with the mag is 16 oz. Its 0.1 oz so lighter is true but I'd hardly consider it an advantage in weight at all.

Didn't realize the 938 trigger was so heavy. That would make me feel better overall. While I don't carry it, I do practice drawing and disengaging the safety with my wife's SR22, so I think I can deal with that aspect.

I did like the trigger on the Kahr, super smooth like my Sig. Just a shorter, slightly lighter pull.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

This might or might not help much since its just one individual's opinion but I think it will help you pick at the positives and negatives of the P938. A lot of good info

"Sig P938 Full Review: Hall of Fame Carry" by Nutnfancy - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post
    That too. Nothing trumps what feels best in your hand. If that is the PM9 or the P938 go with what works and feels best. That being said, the PM9 with the magazine in is 15.9 oz (14 oz the actual gun and 1.5 the mag) and the P938 with the mag is 16 oz. Its 0.1 oz so lighter is true but I'd hardly consider it an advantage in weight at all.
    Yup, that's true. Actually think I was thinking of my Kimber Solo where the weight is concerned.. My 938 does have the wrap around hogue grips which does make it heavier overall, but as you say, not by much. The clear advantage for me still is the DOA trigger. If it wasn't such a awesome trigger I'd say go with the Sig, but Kahr really got that right in their design.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Just picked up my Sig 938 Friday. I ran a box of 115 gr. thru it along with a box of 135 gr. Critical Defense no trouble at all. I've always wanted a SAO and this one will do the job. Trigger is pretty rough, but I knew that going in. That being said I shot my PM 40 alongside it and I have to say that the Kahr was smoother and was a lot easier to get on target for the 2nd shot even with it being a 40 cal. The PM9 must be like butter. Still I really like the look and feel of the 938 and plan on adding it to my rotation as soon as my Crossbreed comes in and I get a couple hundred more rounds run thru it.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    The PM9 is a Cadillac when it comes to pocket guns IMO
    It is low recoil ,has a great trigger ,made very well with superior fit and finish
    its unique with it railed design and is very accurate , mine has night sights and I carry it in an N82Holster,its for me is all i need for CCW

Cant comment on the 938,but I wont carry any gun cocked and locked or SAO
    too much to think about or worry
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    The PM9 is a Cadillac when it comes to pocket guns IMO
    It is low recoil ,has a great trigger ,made very well with superior fit and finish
    its unique with it railed design and is very accurate , mine has night sights and I carry it in an N82Holster,its for me is all i need for CCW

Cant comment on the 938,but I wont carry any gun cocked and locked or SAO
    too much to think about or worry
    +1

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

If one trains, and one should for every gun, a safety or lack thereof is a moot point. Now, if you are just more comfortable and trust more a safety or no safety then by all means. Again, I can hardly see how a gun with a heavier trigger pull and a safety is inherently more dangerous than a gun with a much much lighter trigger pull without a safety?

Forget to disengage? Train train. Looks are subjective but if the PM9 looks like a Cadillac I'd be willing to call the P938 an Audi.

I had a CM9 which is the economy version of the PM9. You can imagine my surprise when I realized it had less recoil than my Glock 19! Threw me for a loop! I have to say Kahr got it right with the PM/CM series. I still sold it though. I'm partial to 1911's! So sue me!

I've never been a fan of Sig. Used to carry one. Never loved it.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I would never conceder mixing trigger types and function difference for CC. Keep things the same as much as possible. The sig having a DAO trigger and the cm kahr's DA trigger are close to feeling to the same. The baby sig 1911 even if the trigger was lite and smooth would still give you a short SA trigger and a safety in a pocket ?? !! Then having to master another type handgun ? During the stress of a BG try'n to do bodily harm to you and yours you don't want to have to think threw a different handgun design.

I shoot and own all types of handguns and long guns but only carry one design.

Buy the kahr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links