Advice please, G30S or M&P 9mm Shield

This is a discussion on Advice please, G30S or M&P 9mm Shield within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need to purchase a ccw to replace one I just sold. I'm trying to make a decision between the 9mm Shield and a Glock ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Advice please, G30S or M&P 9mm Shield

Advice please, G30S or M&P 9mm Shield

I need to purchase a ccw to replace one I just sold. I'm trying to make a decision between the 9mm Shield and a Glock 30s. I need something that will be small and discrete, easier to conceal than my G19. I have held the Shield, but not the G30S. Thank you for your opinions.

2. Remove Ads

You gotta at least go hold the G30 and see how it feels to you. Better yet shoot them both and you'll know. You'll know.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    Both are fine pistols and I'm pleased to own one of each. I prefer the G30S but YMMV. Try each one out. Good luck.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

G30 will not be as easy to conceal than the Glock 19....

The G30S will conceal identically to a G19 but you'll be shooting 10+1 rounds of .45 auto compared to the Shield.

The Shield will be easier to conceal but you'll be carrying 9mm instead and have 7+1 (8 if its the extended mag)

IMO the Shield shoots almost as well as a Glock but fwiw, I couldn't get my previous shield reliable enough to trust for carry. It always malfunctioned at each of my range sessions one way or another (with one having a live round wedged hard in the breech locking up the slide completely - I was unarmed until I could get a gunsmith to help out). Small guns have a propensity for being finicky.

My Glocks 19 and 26 have never malfunctioned once. 1k rounds thru the 19 and over 2k thru the 26.

Ymmv. Good luck with your choice.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    First off good luck with your choice. I have a G19 and thought I would like the Shield since it was smaller and easier to conceal. I got to hold the Shield before I bought it but didn't have a chance to shoot it. I wish I could have shot it first because now I have a $439.00 paper weight. The Shield ran great for the few rounds I put through it but it just didn't feel right. Both are great guns (30s and Shield) so you can't go wrong either way.

If you want small, discrete, and easy to conceal - I'd say the Shield. In my mind it is the smallest semi-auto that I'd see as a primary carry. Yes, there are challenges based on the short sight radius, thin profile, and short grip height....but they are all very manageable, especially if you go with the 9mm. Also, if you've never carried a single stack pistol you're in for a revelation about how comfortable and easy to concel the shield is when you put it in a good holster.

The Glock is great gun - but what advantage does it offer over your G19? To my mind the G30 is the way to go if you want defensive firepower on tap....and the Shield is the way to go if you want a more concealable pistol without losing too much firepower.

I understand that the G30S is roughly equivalent in size to the G19, and fits many G19 holsters. It should be at least as easy to conceal as a G19. My vote would be for the G30S over the Shield. I'm just not fond of subcompacts, and it would be hard to beat 10+1 rounds of .45 ACP. G30S will be my next EDC purchase.
    BigCityChief likes this.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum ~ Μολών Λaβέ
    HK45c, Kimber Pro CDP II, Gen3 G19, Gen4 G19, Colt LE6920, Benelli SuperNova
    "In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Have you looked at the M&Pc sized guns? I believe they're about the same thickness as the G19 but shorter. And 12 rounds of 9mm isn't bad. Or just go with the G26. ;)
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger45 View Post
    I understand that the G30S is roughly equivalent in size to the G19, and fits many G19 holsters. It should be at least as easy to conceal as a G19. My vote would be for the G30S over the Shield. I'm just not fond of subcompacts, and it would be hard to beat 10+1 rounds of .45 ACP. G30S will be my next EDC purchase.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^yep..yep....yep.....have shot both....the G30s is my next one also......yep...yep...yep..
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I bought the 9mm shield and love it. One of my friends shoots his in IDPA and does pretty good. It conceals way easier than the G19.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    FWIW I love my Shield in 9mm. I have been seeing a few people say that they can't shoot the Shield reliabley. I have over 500 rounds through my shield without a gun hiccup (a few FTLB) and I love it. If you want concealability I'd go with the shield. If you want "Stopping Power" I'd go with the Glock 30S to keep to the two you stated. I've never help or seen the 30S. I've held the 30 and it wasn't too bad but I've never shot either. Last Glock I fired it just wasn't that great for me. It just didn't give me the thrill the Glock-a-holics make it seem. I'm an M&P fan; every one has been great.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    If you want .45 go with the 30S or 36. If you want 9mm go with the 19 or 26. BTW, I have owned all but the 30S. The MP's are decent but don't hold resale as well as Glocks IMHO.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Glock 36? If deeper concealment is your priority, then I would go with either the shield, glock 26, XDs, or glock 36. Glock 30S is about the same size as the 19 so you don't get any easier concealment there. Why buy the 30S when you already have a midsize gun? For what it's worth I ended up ordering an XDs 9. Hasn't gotten here yet and I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Have you considered a Ruger SR9c ? It is the same size as a G19 but the ergos are much better. My SR40C is one of my fav guns

yep ..... its tapatalk.... where's the free cake
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links