This New Glock Finish is Terrible !

This is a discussion on This New Glock Finish is Terrible ! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took one of my family members that is just getting into CCW to pick up a brand new Glock 19 gen 4 test fired ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: This New Glock Finish is Terrible !

I took one of my family members that is just getting into CCW to pick up a brand new Glock 19 gen 4 test fired in June 2013, It has the slick matte black finish as opposed to the grey Teflon/Iron skillet finish and its just plain lousy. I didn't notice the finish was different than the grey " iron skillet" finish that has been on all the glock's that I have owned. This slick matte black finish is scratching and "smudging" very easily....
    Every time this gun goes in the holster it gets a new little scratch on the slide. If I take the same holster and put a gen 3 g23 and a gen 4 g17 there is no damage to these guns, both of which have that "iron skillet" grey finish. All the glocks at the gunshop had this same slick matte black finish so I am thinking its a problem with the type of finish in general instead of a problem that is only with this specific gun..?

I am concerned that this new finish is not as durable and wont live up to the expectations of the " iron skillet" grey finish, is this a problem with this specific glock or have any of you had the same experience ?

p.s. I really don't want to hear anyone say I am crying over a scratched glock, I know guns get scratched its just not supposed to be this Easily scratched.

Yep, they cheapened the finish with a phosphate type. For the record, my Gen3 26 has the "Teflon skillet" finish, but it's wearing pretty fast. Never had that issue with the other 2 Gen3's I had about 10 years ago.

Glock has also cheapened the extractor, and striker with MIM.

Glock has used many different finishes over the years. The ugliest finish was the first one used on the Gen 1and 2 Glocks, which is really my favorite.

Personally, I could care less about the outside finish, as its purely cosmetic and provides no real protection for the gun. The protection is imbedded in the metal underneath.
    As long as it doesn't rust, I'm good.

I really don't know what to tell you. You will either have to live with it, or buy an older Glock.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "or buy an older Glock. " And keep it in the safe where that "pristine" look can be preserved.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array wheelyfun101's Avatar
    My Gen4 finish is holding up excellently.
    I guess it is the "slick black" finish? I don't know what to call it, but it looks black-ish or grey-ish....but is it "slick" or is it the "rough" "flat" finish?
    I don't know man....but it has held up excellent to hundreds and hundreds of draw from the holster, shoot or dry fire, and reholster.
    I would suggest sending it off to CCR, if you want a bulletproof finish. Be prepared to be without your pistol for a few months!
    Cummings Custom Refinishing
    bigpapa and GhostMaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Glock has used many different finishes over the years. The ugliest finish was the first one used on the Gen 1and 2 Glocks, which is really my favorite.

agree. The only reason this Gen 2 G17 looks ok is because I ran an oily cloth over the slide. When completely dry, its pretty nasty looking. It was a cops gun before I
    bought it from a Police Supply back in Illinois, so it has a few dings......but not a spec of rust.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Honestly, the only people I've ever known who complain about scratches on their gun are those who have never shot the gun (and likely any gun) but rather just carry and play with it. If you shoot a gun regularly, it's going to get marked up. Welcome to shooting.

If I had a new Glock, I'd be far more concerned that Glock now tells its customers that their guns are not safe to carry in the only manner that makes any sense to carry them. That would surely make me wonder......

Scratches? They come with the territory.
    knight65 likes this.

I'm in IndianaSig's camp on this one. If you want a showpiece, keep it in the locker. Otherwise, these are tools just like the ones in my workshop. I don't know about the rest of you, but I use my tools and they all show wear and tear. Holsters, handling, dis-assembly, re-assembly and shooting, all of these things take their toll on the finish over time. Some finishes sooner than others. When I'm at the range I cant help but chuckle (quietly to myself) at the folks handle their firearms as if they were made of gold. IMHO Glock's are not "Perfection", and neither is any other firearm. I like Glocks, but then I like a lot of other brands as well. Take a look in any man's tool box in his garage or the guns in his locker. You should easily be able to identify which ones are his favorite... they'll be the ones with the most wear and tear!
    sensei2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

Personally, I could care less about the outside finish, as its purely cosmetic and provides no real protection for the gun. The protection is imbedded in the metal underneath.
    As long as it doesn't rust, I'm good.

I really don't know what to tell you. You will either have to live with it, or buy an older Glock.
    That's my main concern, the finish seems like its of lesser quality than past guns so it makes me wonder if the treated metal is of lesser quality, even though one doesn't count on the other for protection from corrosion. hope I worded that right. Glad this isn't my gun but I am due for a new glock in the next 6 months..

Carry guns will get finish wear. OP, if you don't like the factory finish, you can probably have it ceracoated for a reasonable price. I'll wait till the finish on mine is almost gone, then I'll get it refinished, but that will be a long time from now.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaSig View Post
    Honestly, the only people I've ever known who complain about scratches on their gun are those who have never shot the gun (and likely any gun) but rather just carry and play with it. If you shoot a gun regularly, it's going to get marked up. Welcome to shooting.

If I had a new Glock, I'd be far more concerned that Glock now tells its customers that their guns are not safe to carry in the only manner that makes any sense to carry them. That would surely make me wonder......

Scratches? They come with the territory.

Hey thanks for the Advice even though it doesn't really pertain to my question since I am worried about corrosion resistance not looks !

Just to specify, I recommended this gun for corrosion resistance in a saltwater environment. I just want to know if this gun will hold up as well as glocks in the past have with the iron skillet graphite finish, or did glock cut corners or " go green " or something like that and these newer guns aren't as corrosion resistant ?

According to the thread, "Knoxville PD Chief - Glocks are Four Year Pistols", since they are only 4 year pistols Glock decided the finish only needed to make it through 4 years. Why put a 40 year finish on a 4 year gun???
    wheelyfun101 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Here's where it gets good. I just got a call from my cousin that this same gun has a metallic peeling on one of the frame rails, I am waiting on the pictures. LEMON

Personally, like you OP, I like a purty gun. But, it is pretty much limited to blue steel and wood, or an all steel classic design.

The Glocks beauty is not its look, but its utilitarian use, so for me, a well used Glock or one that's seen a lot of use, and abuse, is not a big deal. I think it gives it the only real character that it can get. Not much else you can do with it, except , God forbid, melt the frame.

The one thing that can be done to all old warriors, or new scratched ones, is refinish. So don't worry about it. Use the hell out of it, and let it develop character.
    OD* and AK_Brian like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links