1911 Question

This is a discussion on 1911 Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gonna pick up a Sig 1911 Ultra this Wednesday and very excited about it. I've read many positive reviews and it seems Sig was able ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Rhcmlc
  • 5 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By 1911er

Thread: 1911 Question

1911 Question

Gonna pick up a Sig 1911 Ultra this Wednesday and very excited about it. I've read many positive reviews and it seems Sig was able to produce a reliable 3.3 inch barrel 1911. My particular model comes with G10 grips and a magwell. My question is what exactly is the purpose of a magwell? I've never owned a 1911 with one installed so any comments are greatly appreciated.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

2. Remove Ads

The magwell acts as a funnel of sorts, guiding the fresh magazine into the grip to make reloads quicker. I have a pair of Springfield 1911s, one with a mag well and one without. I shoot pretty equal scores with both, but I do notice I am about a second slower on each reload on the gun without.

The tradeoff is that it adds maybe 1/4 inch to the length of the gun's grip, and you really need magazines with base pads (not a bad thing, IMO).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thank you. Nice to know that magwell actually serves a purpose.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Quote Originally Posted by Rhcmlc View Post
    I've read many positive reviews and it seems Sig was able to produce a reliable 3.3 inch barrel 1911.
    I'll just say that mine was nothing short of a jam factory. And compared to my Kimber Ultra, accuracy was sub par in my hands. Could it have been fixed by Sig? Maybe. But this was on the heels of a P238 that also could not fire a full mag without failure. I just got sour on Sigs and punted both of them. Also, good luck finding holsters, they aren't readily available as the Sig 1911 isn't really a 1911 and doesn't fit any of the "normal 1911" holsters.

Sure is a sweet looking gun though with a lot of nice features. I hope yours does better than mine.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

My first SIG was an Ultra and it ran like a scared bear - nothing would stop it.
    My second was the Commander length C3 and that one was/is accurate too.
    My third one is an RCS (with tritium night sights and really serious dehorning) and that one is a keeper as well.
    Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the SIGs that I've gotten so far.

Rilowe

Good luck with your new Sig 1911. I'm a 1911 guy, but am hooked on STI. I do have a Sig P238 and it's been excellent. For a small, almost pocket size pistol, it's very well made, reliable, and accurate. My addiction to the quality and accuracy of STI 1911s has made me pretty hard to please and I find the P238 to be a superb pistol given its diminutive size. My wife and son are both very happy owners of full size Sig P226s. That said, I would think your Sig Ultra 1911 would also enjoy the characteristics that their other fine pistols demonstrate.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    I like my Kimbers but I have a sig c3 also that will stand its own against the Kimbers any day. no problem!

1911 question

I have the Commander sized Fastback Carry 4 inch Sig Sauer. It is the most accurate that I own! I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhcmlc View Post
    Sig 1911 Ultra ... comes with G10 grips and a magwell.
    You may want to replace the slide release as it is probably a MIM part. I believe the other MIM parts are the sear and hammer. idkfs. I went with a 10-8 Performance part - it was a drop in.

Since the Sig Ultra has an external extractor you can depress it from the outside and gently glide the slide over the cartridge so that you do not get head space problems.

If you start to get any sort of jams, FTF or FTEs, you'll want to insert a new Tripp Research (mag well'd) or Wilson Combat (no mag well) mag in there. Your problems should disappear if it's mag related.

See if you can't get some spare recoil springs from Sig (they're flat springs).

If you remove the mag well you may have trouble fully inserting the stock mag as it is flush with the grip. It will click if you use your thumb but you may not be able to ram it home by hitting it against your open palm. The "regular" TR or WC mags will extend about 1/4" (47OX). The shorter version (47OXC) should extend by half as much and so will probably be a better choice (easier to insert). My pinky is always hitting the stock mag base, while with TR or WC mags there is just enough more room (1/8"?) that I don't feel the mag.

If you have problems re-installing the slide, do NOT jam it on there. There's a little "finger" (Firing Pin Safety Plunger Lever) in the back that you can lightly depress and the slide will go on there smoothly.

If you find the G10 grips too aggressive (heck, I found the stock wood grips too aggressive) you may want to give Pearce OM-2 rubber grips a try. If you don't like rubber just about any Colt Officer / Compact grip should work.

Never oil the firing pin and you should be all set to go.
    Rhcmlc likes this.

Links