Walther P22 vs. Ruger SR22 vs. SIG Mosquito

This is a discussion on Walther P22 vs. Ruger SR22 vs. SIG Mosquito within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know, why's this guy asking about 22's on a concealed carry forum? Doesn't he know that a 22 isn't a very good defensive weapon? ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Walther P22 vs. Ruger SR22 vs. SIG Mosquito

I know, why's this guy asking about 22's on a concealed carry forum? Doesn't he know that a 22 isn't a very good defensive weapon? Well here's why I'm asking: Earlier this month I bought a Walther P22 for myself (happy birthday to me). The purpose was just for a range weapon to have some fun with, and help the wallet with the price of ammunition. After the first trip to the range with it, my wife absolutely fell in love with the way it shot. Well now she want's a 22 of her own for the range. She's been looking and has narrowed it down to either the SIG Mosquito or the Ruger SR22. Now I know that the Ruger is basically a clone of the Walther or vice-versa so I want to know of those two who's had any good/bad experiences and also has anybody had any good/bad experiences with the Mosquito?
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

I vote to give her yours an you get a MK111 tons of fun lots of after market toys for it.

Easy8 beat me to it, but the obvious answer is get a MK2 or 3 and let the wife have the Walther

Don't get the Mosquito. Mine and many others has been kind of a piece of junk. No experience with a Walther 22, but my 9mm and .40 work great ;). Buddy has the Ruger and it runs flawlessly.
    sensei2 and Sky Pilot like this.

My wife chose the Ruger SR22T and loves it. She went from occasionally going with me to the range to practice with her carry guns to asking when we can go to the range. I have a Mk III Hunter and a Single-Six convertible with a 9 1/2" barrel that I shoot with her at the range. She shoots the Mk III but says it is too heavy to enjoy shooting. She doesn't like shooting the Single-Six due to the weight and long barrel. Her carry guns are an S&W 640 Centennial or S&W Pro-Series model 60.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member
    My wife also loves her SR22. Easy to operate, shoot, and carry. I like it because I can get my ammo dump needs filled on the cheap at the range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

I have a Mosquito and I can tell you in no uncertain terms you want to use HIGH velocity .22 ammo....Minimags, etc or else the slide won't cycle.

You can use low velocity/subsonic rounds but you'll have to manually rack the slide after every round, whic of course would get old very fast.

Other than that I've had no issues with mine.
    Eric357 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strmwatch View Post
    I have a Mosquito and I can tell you in no uncertain terms you want to use HIGH velocity .22 ammo....Minimags, etc or else the slide won't cycle.

You can use low velocity/subsonic rounds but you'll have to manually rack the slide after every round, whic of course would get old very fast.

Other than that I've had no issues with mine.
    Seems to be the most common complaint on the Sig. Needs high power rounds to function properly. The wife's Ruger seemed to be going down that path, but the more rounds it gets, the better it performs with standard rounds. Shot 200 rounds of cheap Federal through it a couple of days ago and only issue was 1 ftl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

I wish I just needed to use better ammo with my Mosquito, I love that firearm's form and function. But nope, tons of light-strikes, extraction issues, feed issues, failure to cycle (that being ammo or spring I can see). It took me months to get through a 525 round brick of .22 and not for lack of trying. Tried different ammunition with the next few hundred rounds, it just never seemed to work smoothly.

VIP Member
    She'll enjoy the Ruger SR22. Get her a 10/22 to go with it.

Rugers1 copy.jpg

Ruger SR22.jpg
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

DBS
    Get the SR22. Eats anything without complaining.

My kids have a blast with it, and honestly so do I.
    Ianthin likes this.

I have an SR22 and love it. Shoots just about anything, doesn't need high velocity. I have even shot the Mexican Aguilar stuff with no issues.

Gun tests mag compared the Ruger and the Walther (April, 2012) and preferred the Walther, but not overwhelmingly. The Walther was more accurate, had a better grip and a substantially better trigger feel. Their biggest beef with the Walther was that it required a special tool for teardown and reassembly.

You didn't mention other .22 pistols, but I'm personally fond of the Ruger Marks, esp. the Mk II since it has everything you need in a pistol and nothing you don't (like a magazine safety and loaded chamber indicator). It's a bit heavier than the plastic-framed guns, but I've never heard of one with lousy accuracy or that had serious feeding problems.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Love my Walther P22... That said, get a Browning Buckmark.
    sensei2 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

i really recommend avoiding the Sig dedicated .22 pistols. (i know nothing about their 1911/.22's).

my information is 10 years old by now, but when i was a gun salesman, the Sig .22's were a BIG headache for us - always needing a factory visit, and often not working even afterwards,

as 357and40 just mentioned, i also like the Browning Buckmarks. i have two of the Micro's with the 4" barrel, and i like them very much. the short barrel makes them feel more like my centerfire SD pistols than the longer 5" models.

but the Rugers are getting good reviews, too, as is the Walther. just stay away from the Mosquito.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links