Easy auto for the wife?

Easy auto for the wife?

This is a discussion on Easy auto for the wife? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife currently carries an SR22. I'd like to get her into something better for defense, but she is pretty particular about a lot of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Easy auto for the wife?

Distinguished Member

Easy auto for the wife?

My wife currently carries an SR22. I'd like to get her into something better for defense, but she is pretty particular about a lot of aspects of things.

She liked shooting my P95, could handle it well,but didn't like the size for herself. I sold it and got a P250sc in 9mm for myself. She likes the size, and can operate it easily, but doesn't like the added kick of the smaller gun. Neither of us have shot something like an LCR, but that is an option. She has handled an LCP, and a P238, and neither of those really did anything for her. She doesn't have the grip strength to rack a narrow slide it seems, aside from her Ruger which is pretty light.

She would prefer an auto, but a wheel gun is an option as well.

So what do you think folks, what are some other models we should check out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

I own and carry a P250sc in 9mm and a LCR 357. The LCR 357 is 3oz heavier than the LCR so kick from a 38spl is slightly less in the LCR 357. Here's a comparison:

38spl +P in the LCR 357 is slightly more kick than 9mm P250sc. If she is recoil intolerant than I would not go with a wheel gun and I wouldn't go super lightweight pocket auto.

I would recommend the Sig Sauer P250sc in 380 or the Ruger LC380, they are both originally 9mm guns, so they have more weight to them and less recoil, racking the slide should be easier in both.
    Aceoky likes this.

I think a LCR or SP101 or Model 60 may be a good option for her. You can get them chambered for .357 and still run .38 and .38+P through them. The added frame weight will make any recoil more pleasant.

Another option for an auto might be a G26. They shoot extremely well and easily for their size. If she wants/needs a thumb safety then a S&W M&P9c may be a good option that shoots easily as well.

Ruger LC380. Probably one of the easiest semi autos to manipulate. They designed it that way.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    The H&K USP series has the easiest slides to rack in the business. Their recoil reduction system of the USP allows nearly effortless operation of the slide. My -ex has a 9mm that I bought her and she wouldn't part with that for anything.

The recoil is also very manageable with it feeling like more of a sharp push than a sharp jerk.

Try one at the shop and you'll see what I mean.

Another nearly effortless slide to rack can be found on the Walther P5, P1, and P.38. All three rack slickern' snot.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

If she likes the SR22, I would let her try the SR9C or SR9 as an option. My wife loves shooting her SR22T, but carries an S&W 640 or an S&W Pro Series model 60.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoo View Post
    I own and carry a P250sc in 9mm and a LCR 357. The LCR 357 is 3oz heavier than the LCR so kick from a 38spl is slightly less in the LCR 357. Here's a comparison:

38spl +P in the LCR 357 is slightly more kick than 9mm P250sc. If she is recoil intolerant than I would not go with a wheel gun and I wouldn't go super lightweight pocket auto.

I would recommend the Sig Sauer P250sc in 380 or the Ruger LC380, they are both originally 9mm guns, so they have more weight to them and less recoil, racking the slide should be easier in both.
    I've looked around for the P250 in .380, and it seems to be harder to find than the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. Not even sure if they are in production anymore. Can't even find much info on an exchange kit for my 250.

The LC380 may be an option, but i think the narrow slide may be an issue. Will check it out next trip to the lgs.

I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

My wife has a Bersa Thunder .380 and loves it. The smaller caliber and slight more heft for a gun that size makes the recoil very easy for her to manage and she's tiny. Bersa is highly regarded as an underrated brand. Good quality at a great price.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

My wife has a Bersa Thunder CC .380 and loves it also. My wife can also rack the slide on my S&W Shield 9mm.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    I think a LCR or SP101 or Model 60 may be a good option for her. You can get them chambered for .357 and still run .38 and .38+P through them. The added frame weight will make any recoil more pleasant.

Another option for an auto might be a G26. They shoot extremely well and easily for their size. If she wants/needs a thumb safety then a S&W M&P9c may be a good option that shoots easily as well.
    Hadn't considered the G26, as I'm not a Glock man myself. May be good for her though. Right size and light trigger pull. I rented a 27 once, and it seemed pretty easy to rack.

Best part about all these responses is I get an excuse to play with lots of different types of weapons. :)

Thanks and keep em coming.

I would take her to a range that rents guns let her try a bunch, if she likes autos the shield or bodyguard would be something to rent

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    Best part about all these responses is I get an excuse to play with lots of different types of weapons. :)
    Well, in that case, she needs a Desert Eagle .50. You're welcome.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Agree on a Bersa 380. Shoots nice and easy. Or an lcr in .357, using the low-recoil .38 defensive rounds as are made by Federal and others.

Personally, I tend to think there's a "right size" of gun for every cartridge. Trying to stuff a .380 into a .25 size (ala LCP, TCP, P3AT) or a 9mm into a .380 size (P938, Solo, Pf9) makes sense for deep concealment, not effective shooting, operation, or even good reliability. A Bersa 380 is a Walther PPK clone, which I see as the "right size" for .380. Just my $0.02.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

GLOCK 19 or 26.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

GH
    If you can find one to rent for her to try out I can suggest the M&P 9C/40C or the Shield 9/40. Shields are hard enough to find without the safety notice S&W has out on it so that might be out of the question. They aren't that much smaller than the compacts anyhow.

My thoughts & my thoughts only - I never suggest anything smaller than 9MM for self defense carry. Having said that, any caliber is better than nothing at all especially with the modern SD rounds.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links