Springfield XD-S Safety Recall

This is a discussion on Springfield XD-S Safety Recall within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Springfield Armory ReCall Registration...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Springfield XD-S Safety Recall

Springfield XD-S Safety Recall

“Our lives come from God. So does our right to defend them”
    There is only one gun law in this country, the 2nd Amendment. All else is bureaucratic nonsense that I choose to comply with or not at my discretion.

2. Remove Ads

Wow. 50K+ pistols involved.

Distinguished Member
    Good for Springfield making it right. What I find ironic is when the S&W issued a safety alert for the Shield lots of owners or S&W haters were like..."so glad I went with the XDs" or "I am going out right now and buying a XDs". No perfect gun folks...especially modern ones that are fairly massed produced.
    gregivq and blitzburgh like this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

VIP Member
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Just checked, mine is not included in the recall.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

Unfortunately mine and a friends was on the list. Called this morning and after waiting awhile to get a line and then about 10 min to get someone on the line, got a box coming my way. Took me maybe 15 min total and the lady that helped me was very pleasant. She said that I should have it back mid Sept. That has been said all have had problems at one time. At least they are fixing it before someone gets hurt.
    Diddle likes this.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Thanks for letting me know about this recall. My brand new XDs9 falls into the recall unfortunately. Its a good thing I haven't carried or shot it yet.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Several ways to look at this but the bottom line is that they are committed to getting it resolved.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Been carrying and shooting my XDs 45acp for about 2 years now without ANY problems. Being a safety recall, I sent my pistol back to Spring Field Armory. What I have noticed that both my Glock 27 & 36 are both bigger and heavier. I'm glad SA stepped up to fix the could be serious problem.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I used the online form, printed the mailing label, used an existing box with the old labels peeled off. Packed it up, taped the label on the outside, called FedEx, the local FedEx Express driver came to the house, I handed him the box. That was Friday. They should be getting it tomorrow.

The process is pretty painless.

The problem that might happen is pretty scary. Release the slide to load the gun and it fires on full auto till the magazine is empty. It happened to an XDs 9mm owner that posted pictures on the XDs forum. Nobody hurt. He had some nicks from bench fragments.

I think of how many times I had the gun in the closet and loaded it to put it in my holster and carry it that day, and how tragic it could have been if it went off doing that. Even though the gun was pointed at an outside wall, there is a neighbors house out there. It's a serious problem if it happens.

I also had a Walther PPK/S that had to go in for a recall that dealt with it maybe going off when one de-cocked it on a loaded chamber, which I did every time I loaded it. I always carried it de-cocked, safety off, with a round in the chamber (just like one would carry a SIG P226)

Gun defects are scary stuff. Kudos to Springfield for fixing it. Shame on them for not catching it during product development testing.

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

I picked up my Springfield XDs in a 45ACP from my FFL on Wednesday. I was all excited because I just received my CCW a few weeks prior and had already gotten a good inside the waistband holster for it. I was dismayed to learn that day that the recall had been issued. Of course I'm glad that Springfield is taking care of the issue, I just don't think the timing could have been worse.

I was even surprised to learn that my serial number was in the recall seeing as I had just gotten the pistol and the dealer hadn't had it in his inventory for long at all. Here's to hoping she comes back soon! Like the gentleman above me, Springfield should be getting my pistol tomorrow sometime.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Osbane View Post
    I picked up my Springfield XDs in a 45ACP from my FFL on Wednesday. I was all excited because I just received my CCW a few weeks prior and had already gotten a good inside the waistband holster for it. I was dismayed to learn that day that the recall had been issued. Of course I'm glad that Springfield is taking care of the issue, I just don't think the timing could have been worse.
    Yeah, that sucks.

But, it would have been worse if it was recalled after you had experienced the failure.

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by txshooter View Post
    Just checked, mine is not included in the recall.
    Is your serial number not in the range? If you are talking about entering the SN on their website, I would check again. It was having issues in the beginning. From what I understand they are all being recalled...including the one sitting right in front of me. :(
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Apex DCAEK
    S&W M&P Shield 9mm - Apex DCAEK

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    But, it would have been worse if it was recalled after you had experienced the failure.
    Very true, sir. That would have really just ruined the day. Just hoping to get it back quickly so I can start to enjoy carrying a firearm that truly has 0% chance of going off without my say so.

Mine went out Fedex on Friday. I'll report back when I get it back to give an idea of how long it takes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links