S&W 60 vs. Ruger SP 101 & etc.

This is a discussion on S&W 60 vs. Ruger SP 101 & etc. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I started shooting late in life, very casually - like bowling pin shoots at a friend's farm using a really old Ruger .22 that my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: S&W 60 vs. Ruger SP 101 & etc.

Distinguished Member

S&W 60 vs. Ruger SP 101 & etc.

I started shooting late in life, very casually - like bowling pin shoots at a friend's farm using a really old Ruger .22 that my husband "let me use". After passing the state concealed carry course (with the .22) it was time for me to have a gun of my own even though I was far from ready to actually carry one.

My first "gun of my own" was a used (excellent condition) S&W 60. I loved that gun and shot it a lot, for practice and even in competition. Eventually I saw another model which was a 6 shot and had laser built into the grips. So I traded in my 60. Worst mistake of my life! I never could shoot that darned new gun because the grips didn't fit my hands.

Fast forward several years and several guns. I have been carrying a Glock 26 which is a terrific gun except that I have a problem being able to fire several fast shots from the hip using only one hand. That makes it not quite ideal, right?

So, after reading about all of the suggestions for carry guns for small females I told hubby I would like to look and see if I can find another revolver. So we piled in his truck this afternoon and went to all 4 stores in the town closest to us. I tried a bunch.

I couldn't see the front sight on the Ruger, the trigger pull was uncomfortable and the travel was so long that I felt the hammer would NEVER release.

I actually tried a Taurus even though I wouldn't buy one for my own reasons - now I for sure know why: The grip fit my hand but the trigger pull was so strong I couldn't pull it. Also tried a Charter Arms which I didn't care for either.

I tried a used (OK condition) Smith model 64 snubbie with wood grips. Just not a good fit in my hand and there was enough gun powder residue left in the nooks and crannies that it made me wonder about how and if the firing pin would work, etc.

AND there was actually one (1) model 60 but not a snubbie. The model 60 feels like a part of my body. Just like the one I had 12+ years ago. It was the ONLY one I would be willing to spend money for.

We have one more place to go to look. If I can't find a model 60 snubbie I will hope our local store still has the longer barrel one. "Only 5 shots" doesn't bother me because I'm darned accurate and also pretty fast with a speed loader (never tried to use strips). The longer barrel is going to be more difficult to wear concealed and I might decide to not buy a revolver at all since I already have a 686 snubbie that I adore but is too big for me to carry concealed in the summer.

Moral of the story - particularly for men who are looking for a gun for their wives: It is vital that the person who will be shooting the gun holds the gun, practices close to a real draw, and dry fires it several times. Even better would be to really fire it but I don't think there are very many ranges with lots and lots of different guns that you can rent to try out. At least there aren't in our area.

Second moral of the story: Don't take your husband with you when gun shopping. He will find something he wants to buy!
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; August 30th, 2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: title change
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

2. Remove Ads

Have to take him with you not fair to leave us home besides we carry the case of ammo. Love the mod 60 carry it atleast once a week. Most times its a SP snub image.jpg
    GhostMaker likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Have to take him with you not fair to leave us home besides we carry the case of ammo. Love the mod 60 carry it atleast once a week. Most times its a SP snub image.jpg
    Gorgeous gun!

Of course I'll keep taking him with me - he brags about how well I shoot. Not going to leave THAT at home!
    gasmitty likes this.

==================

Wife's doing the too hot too cold just right herself and yes I saw something I wanted to buy.

Today I shot the S&W Model 60 2" gun I bought a month ago. Actually not impressed. I ordered new grips for it as the ones that came with it were too thin and had no cushioning. To tell the truth, I shoot my S&W 340PD and 637 better with the smaller 2 finger grips than I do the 60 with the 3 finger grip. Of course, the 60 had less felt recoil but recoil is not an issue for me unless it is a long range session. Try one of the other snubbies from S&W or even the Ruger LCR which has the best trigger out of the box of any snubbies I host in the last 40 years. To me, any snubnose is like an extension of my hand and the 60 is a heavy snub nose by today's standards. A 642 at 14 oz. with some Hornady 110 gr. .38 spl will give you 12 inches of penetration, expansion and mild recoil plus it will point like the 60.

I was so unimpressed by the 60 after hearing about it from all the old timers in my retirement community, that I may trade it in tomorrow. I think that guys here who have them just have not bought new guns in a very long time and are not familiar with the lighter models available. Of course if recoil is a problem, the heavier 60 will be better.
    The Old Gunhand - gun news all in one place.

Somehow I ended up with only Sigs, HKs and S&W J-frames.

Look at these to see what is 'out there': Revolvers for Sale - Buy Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    I was so unimpressed by the 60 after hearing about it from all the old timers in my retirement community, that I may trade it in tomorrow. I think that guys here who have them just have not bought new guns in a very long time and are not familiar with the lighter models available. Of course if recoil is a problem, the heavier 60 will be better.
    I have arthritis in my right thumb and also carpal tunnel type problems and recoil IS a problem. The light weight guns slam back into my hand and about kill me - all the way up my arm.

Isn't it good that there are lots and lots of models and brands from which to choose so we can each find the one that best suits us?

==================

Old_dog, trying to make me feel older than I am :) surprised about your experience with the 60. Grips do make a heck of a difference. The hogue cocobolo ' s look good Ghost I think has them on his GP look sweet. Mine are from Gemini an really feel great. I put the big dot on it an its really fast to get on target the weight makes it a natural for follow up shots.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Isn't it good that there are lots and lots of models and brands from which to choose so we can each find the one that best suits us?
    Amen!

If I wasn't such a fan for the SP101 as a carry revolver, I'd probably be totin around a Model 60. I'm also kinda embarrassed to admit that I prefer the grips that come on the Ladysmith model more than the stock rubber grips.

G__1580_SWLadysmith38_720.jpg G__1582_SWLadysmith38_side_720.jpg

That is a good lookin wheelie. Except where its engraved Ladysmith.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I love the Model 60 and I see more in the stable as time and dollars allow. I can't comment on the SP 101 since the 3" has become extinct. Ruger's window for me may be closed for a while. And rammer....I've eye balled the Lady Smith. If you've got a SS 357 in your pocket you can leave your pride at home. Just leave it in the drawer where the Lady had been sitting.

Man. A wheel gun thread on a beautiful Saturday morning at the start of a holiday weekend....... My coffe is hot, the pasture is already half mowed. Folks, this is tall cotton.
    emawildcat and Ianthin like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

The three inch is still in the catalogue.

Model 60 vs. model 66

I have a S&W model 60 snubby that wears wood boot grips (two finger length) for concealment. The trigger is a little heavy for my taste and the gun has a fair amount of recoil due to its small size. For shooting purposes I actually prefer a larger S&W snubby, the model 66 in .357 magnum. The model 66 has a much smoother trigger pull than the 60, and the extra weight of the 66 makes recoil less significant. The 66 is larger and a little more difficult to conceal, however. But it gives you 6 shots instead of 5 and the ability to use .357 magnum, a very potent caliber.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I know. They make them and they ship them but they don't seem to sell them. Like the Smith 649, they evaporate prior to reaching the LGS.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Just out of curiosity, have you tried the LCR? It really is a fantastic shooter. Great grip and like everyone says, probably the best out of the box factory trigger to grace a snub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links