Sig .22's

This is a discussion on Sig .22's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The reputation of the mosquito is well known, but what about the other models. Are the P220 and P226 .22's as unreliable? I like the ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Nmuskier

Thread: Sig .22's

Sig .22's

The reputation of the mosquito is well known, but what about the other models. Are the P220 and P226 .22's as unreliable? I like the idea of buying one in .22 to start at a lower price then buying an exchange kit to go to the real thing when I can afford it. What's the story on them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. Remove Ads

A P220 in .22? Mine in .45 is a great gun, but I'm completely unaware of a .22 cal offering. Can you enlighten me?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

P226 Classic 22

...just in time for the ammo shortage...

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    For $600 they'd better be one heck of a .22!
    Ianthin and Drgnfly like this.

I had a SIG mosquito. It made me an expert in jam clearing. Terrible gun.

I also have a SIG Hammerelli (sp?) target model. Its not much, either.

I bought an M&P .22, and it does what a good gun should do; It works!

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    A P220 in .22? Mine in .45 is a great gun, but I'm completely unaware of a .22 cal offering. Can you enlighten me?
    I first saw the 220 in .22 on Buds. Checked out Sigs site and found they offer the 220, 226, 229, and 1911 in .22. They also sell exchange kits to convert them to their normal caliber. They pitch it as a way to get trigger practice without the expense of center fire ammo.

Edit: They also offer kits to change the traditional 220, 226, & 229 to .22. Don't think any kits are available for the 1911, but they price out reasonably at about $450.

I have a P226 in 9 and an xchange kit for 40 and have been trying to get the 22 xchange kit for months. None available and no idea when they will get more.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=StormRhydr;2893276]I had a SIG mosquito. It made me an expert in jam clearing. Terrible gun.

CCI Ammo per the manual if I remember right + it came with 2 springs. Works good, Regular ammo jams.

I have a Walther P22. It jams a lot on regular ammo, but if I use high velocity ammo, its pretty reliable. I also have a Ruger iTac, which is based on the Ruger 10/22 and it is obviously very reliable. I plan to buy a Ruger SR-22 pistol at some point. I hear they are pretty good.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

The wife has an SR22 that's a sweet little gun. Was really hoping for some more input on the .22's in the standard P series Sig's. I've seen online listings for them, but there isn't much talk of their performance.

I was interested in a .22 conversion for my 228, or a dedicated .22

Most likely an SR22. I haven't read anything favorable about the Sig, S&W or m&p .22's

Links