It's rubbing off

This is a discussion on It's rubbing off within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so I've been carrying concealed for ~8 months now, and after a couple months of weekly range visits with me, my friend Ed wants to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's rubbing off

It's rubbing off

so I've been carrying concealed for ~8 months now, and after a couple months of weekly range visits with me, my friend Ed wants to purchase a carry pistol. He's very familiar with my Walther P22 and SW99 (.40), and is an excellent shot with both of them. He's looking for advice on a carry gun of his own.

I have no problem concealing my full size SW99 in an OWB holster; I'm a big guy (6'1", 220lbs). But Ed is about 5'10" and 120lbs (his nickname is stick boy ), so it may be a good idea for him to find a smaller gun. I've recommended 9mm for caliber, as it's a decent defense round that's pretty cheap to buy in bulk for practice. Though .40 isn't out of the question, it is pricier for the ammo (ask how I know ).

I was originally thinking Glock 19. But I'm open to other suggestions. He definitely wants an auto (no wheelguns sadly), and is biased toward polymer frame. He likes the idea of a Glock of some type, but he also likes my SW99. He's looking to keep the price at ~$600 or less, so we're going to take a look at the used guns at out local gunshop within the next week or two to see what we can find. Elsewise I'm afraid we might be pushing his budget for a quality polymer pistol brand new.

What are your thoughts?
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    With a $600 budget and looking for used, the market is wide open to you. I do like Glock but know there are many equals or better out there. With a $600 budget you fairly have a wide range of new also.

I think he'll be surprised what he can conceal. I was a bit skeptical at first, and thought i would need a 3" gun, but i recently bought a 4" 1911 and can make it disappear no problem. This is using a Milt Sparks VM-II. I think its more the holster you use than the gun.
    I'm 5'8", 140lbs by the way.

Also, does anyone have experience with the new Smith & Wesson M&P series? The M&P 9mm might be just the ticket he's looking for...

Have you looked into the Springfield XD line of pistols? Various calibers and sizes and polymer frames . I have an XD 9 service and the XD45 service size 4" and have no problems with concealment . These pistol are gaining popularity VERY fast , and even converting some Glock fanatics .
    Anyone make a IWB holster for my AR ??

Actually I haven't, though I should (I'm a Springfield Armory fan, my next firearms purchase will be an M1A). Thanks for the reminder. :)

Compact Walther in 9mm?

Your friend wants a polymer gun and likes your Walther, but you think something smaller in 9mm might be appropriate. Why not the compact version of the Walther P99, called the P99c? It holds 10+1 rounds of 9mm and would conceal easier on his small frame. Here is one for sale for $557 on Gunbroker:
    Walther P99c on Gunbroker

Administrator
    Get your friend on this forum at let him find his own gun. You can make all the suggestions in the world, but he needs to make an educated decision.

VIP Member
    Your friend needs to try different guns to make an informed decision. Being on the thin side he will need to look for thin pistols. The SIG P239 has a relatively thin profile since it is a single stack weapon. It is available in 9 mm, .357SIG, and .40. There is a slight difference between the 9mm and the other two in the thickness of the weapon at the top of the slide. The overall thickness of the pistol does not vary. My 9mm and .357SIG P239s use the same holster.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

It's all about clothing. A shirt one size too big can almost conceal a bazooka if you carry IWB.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    Also, does anyone have experience with the new Smith & Wesson M&P series? The M&P 9mm might be just the ticket he's looking for...
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=17360

I love my M&P in 9mm (check above website for photo). I got it for a few bucks cheaper than the Glock and I like the way it feels better than a Glock. You can get a compact now too, which are on the Smith and Wesson website. The compact is comparable to a G26/27 in size.

I go over why I like it toward the middle/bottom of first page. It really is a great gun and can't say anything bad about it. If you have any specific questions, I would be glad to answer them. S&W has a lifetime warranty, too, which is huge.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Administrator
    The larger PD's here in Ohio are switching to the M&P. I am not terribly impressed with them, but they seem like a ok gun. Most of the officers who have them really like them.

If I were you, I'd shy away until the pistol has proven itself in the field.

As other's have suggested, Springfield XD's are fine firearms. When I was looking for a medium framed 9mm I ended up choosing my Taurus PT-111. I really like it and have had no problems with it, after 250 rounds. It conceals well too. Also it is nice on the pocket book ~$300.

I have a SA XD 9MM as well as S&W M&P .40. Both are excellent guns (although I'm still learning how to shoot the .40). That being said, a gun is a very personal thing. Your friend needs to handle some guns. Go to a good gun shop and pick up some guns. See how they feel in his hands. Find one that is comfortable and feels natural. It should point naturally. The next step (if possible) is to shoot one. Hopefully you can find a range that rents weapons. As to picking the brand, there are many good options. Glock, SA XD, Smith & Wesson (non sigma series), HK, and Sig Sauer, all produce a variety of styles and calibers. I hope this helps.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

My Kimber Ultra Carry II conceals better than any pistol I've tried and it's light. Frame size is not always the most important issue to a carry weapon, I had a Sig P229 which I sold for the Kimber. They were fairly close in size but loaded with 12 .40SW rounds made that Sig feel like a brick. The Kimber carries 7 .45 rounds, but only weighs 25 ounces empty. I found that the Kimber has less perceived recoil and I am more accurate with it than I was with the Sig. The frame geometry on a 1911 fits me better.

As stated above....tell your bud to get to a forum or two and ask questions...then get to a shop and start handling some guns. The proof is in the wearing.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links