P224 back from the factory

This is a discussion on P224 back from the factory within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Aug. 9 I bought a new Sig P224 DA/SA. Got it home but couldn't fire it until Aug 12. If Failed to Feed badly so ...

Thread: P224 back from the factory

P224 back from the factory

Aug. 9 I bought a new Sig P224 DA/SA. Got it home but couldn't fire it until Aug 12. If Failed to Feed badly so Aug 13 it went back to Sig. Back from the factory on Aug 29. They installed a new extractor and polished the feed ramp. The same day I got it back I put 50 rounds thru it and it worked like a Sig, great every time. Has anyone else had issues with the new P224s/

2. Remove Ads

Over on the Sig site several folks are having problems with them
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

The P224 is yet another example of Sig's gun guys telling management that they can't deviate that far from the proven design and make it work and management telling them to do it anyway.

The new, long extractors, married with a shorter slide and thus a faster cycling time, appears to be the focus of the problem. It is worst when using lower grain ammo but it is happening with 165 and 180 grain as well. They've hit crisis mode at Sig with the gun (not yet quite as bad as the P290 but it could get that bad.)

Fortunately, the newer P227 is much closer to the original, time-tested design for which Sig is known. I'm not anticipating the same wave of problems with it.

Forgot to add they updated the barrel. Shoots great now but is is no 229.

Links