Revolver for alternate Pocket Carry

This is a discussion on Revolver for alternate Pocket Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; my EDC is a CM9, which for me pocket carrys perfectly in all kinds of shorts and pants, in a Mika pocket holster. Maybe not ...

Thread: Revolver for alternate Pocket Carry

Revolver for alternate Pocket Carry

my EDC is a CM9, which for me pocket carrys perfectly in all kinds of shorts and pants, in a Mika pocket holster. Maybe not so good in dress pants, but since I am retired that is not much of an issue.

I have decided that, at this point, in my carry career I only want to pocket carry. It is easy, comfortable, I don't have to worry about tucking shirts, cover garments, etc.

I really like my CM9. It has proven to be reliable, fits my hand comfortably and is very accurate at self defense distances for such a small gun.

I am thinking that I would like a revolver to alternate carry. i had a S&W 642, that I could not shoot, so sold it. I know a lot of folks love them, but not me. The trigger pull was too heavy for me.

I would like some suggestions for a rvolver that I can pocket carry in shorts, and docker type pants, or looser fitting jeans, that has a "better" trigger. Don't mind long, but would like less heavy and smooth. Is there anything like that out there?

And, yes I realize that I only have 6 + 1 with the CM9, and will only have 5 in a revolver, but better that then not carrying.

Thanks.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    My limited experience with revolvers is that, yes, they do have a much heavier trigger pull than SA's. My main concern is not trigger pull but whether the grip fits my hand and makes the gun feel like a part of me.

I took one J frame to a local gunsmith who is reasonably priced and had the trigger pull lightened. Several years ago I sent my new 686 back to S&W for an action job. It came back worse than when I sent it in. Then I sent it to Magnaport for a complete action job (no porting involved) and waited months and months but when it came back it was a real dream! I have no idea if they still do fantastic work or not.

I'm currently looking for a new S&W 60 which I may never find and know that if I ever do find one it will need work to lighten the trigger pull also.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Trigger on a revolver?
    By an LCR from Ruger most folks swear by the trigger

Get a trigger job on an S&W check for feed back good folks and questionable out there.

With an empty revolver you want to carry load snap caps pull trigger 5000 times or more over two weeks smooths the action strengthen the finger. Won't cure arthritis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    my EDC is a CM9, which for me pocket carrys perfectly in all kinds of shorts and pants, in a Mika pocket holster. Maybe not so good in dress pants, but since I am retired that is not much of an issue.

I have decided that, at this point, in my carry career I only want to pocket carry. It is easy, comfortable, I don't have to worry about tucking shirts, cover garments, etc.

I really like my CM9. It has proven to be reliable, fits my hand comfortably and is very accurate at self defense distances for such a small gun.

I am thinking that I would like a revolver to alternate carry. i had a S&W 642, that I could not shoot, so sold it. I know a lot of folks love them, but not me. The trigger pull was too heavy for me.

I would like some suggestions for a rvolver that I can pocket carry in shorts, and docker type pants, or looser fitting jeans, that has a "better" trigger. Don't mind long, but would like less heavy and smooth. Is there anything like that out there?

And, yes I realize that I only have 6 + 1 with the CM9, and will only have 5 in a revolver, but better that then not carrying.

Thanks.
    I also have the 642, but prefer my wife's 442, which is much lighter and fits to my and her hands perfectly. It takes, unfortunately, some trigger time to get used to the snubnose, but dry firing ought to do that. Also, it's simple to change a few springs in the gun to make the action lighter. The fact is, when you need to shoot, it does not matter if the trigger pull is 20 lbs, you just shoot without noticing.

I hope you find your solution.

VIP Member
    I own Smith revolvers because I believe their triggers are the best, bar none... and all they do is get better over time.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

You'd better not get a LCR. It might just relegate your CM9 to the safe. That's what it did to my PM9.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    You'd better not get a LCR. It might just relegate your CM9 to the safe. That's what it did to my PM9.
    Same thing happened for me - I used to carry either a PT709 or a PT145, depending on what clothes I was wearing. When I bought my LCR, it became the primary pretty quickly. The other two spend a lot more time in the safe now.
    Slow scopes, fast cars.
    'Chance favors the prepared mind' - Louis Pasteur

Go with the Ruger LCR. My wife's primary carry and loves it. Sweetest trigger pull of any compact revolver.

LCR! You can't go wrong. ( I sound like a commercial for Ruger!)
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by swmp9jrm View Post
    Same thing happened for me - I used to carry either a PT709 or a PT145, depending on what clothes I was wearing. When I bought my LCR, it became the primary pretty quickly. The other two spend a lot more time in the safe now.
    I have a PT 709 Slim and like it as well as the LCR. I'd actually carry both of them.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I have a PT 709 Slim and like it as well as the LCR. I'd actually carry both of them.
    I carried my PT709 for a long time - then got on a .45ACP kick and alternated it with the PT-145. I still carry the PT-709, but the LCR is definitely more used.
    Slow scopes, fast cars.
    'Chance favors the prepared mind' - Louis Pasteur

I have a S&W 442 and I installed a Wolff shooters pack spring set in it and polished the contact points with a dremel and metal polish. Made a HUGE difference in trigger pull and accuracy. Removed the internal lock flag while I was in there too. Some youtube vids out there make it a simple DIY project.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Been shooting and carrying Snubs for years. Never had a custom trigger or gunsmith trigger work. I dry fire and practice shooting. I'm no Gun Slinger but, I think I shoot OK and could handle myself if need be.

Links