My first EDC setup, new to carrying

This is a discussion on My first EDC setup, new to carrying within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, Finally got my carry permit in the mail and just started carrying. Although I just started, I'm already very pleased with this setup ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: My first EDC setup, new to carrying

Hey everyone,

Finally got my carry permit in the mail and just started carrying. Although I just started, I'm already very pleased with this setup and am very confident in it. Been practicing holster drills at home (safely) and have zero complaints so far.

Glock 30S @ 3:30 position in a Crossbreed Supertuck (sports TruGlo TFOs)
    Ruger 2.25" SP101 DAO @ 11:00 in a Smart Carry (Meprolight front sight, 10# mainspring)
    Spare glock mag and x2 speed strips in the Smart Carry
    4sevens Quark tac light (360 lumen output)
    Spyderco Delica 4
    Beltman holster belt

Ammo selection:
    Buffalo Bore 185 gr .45+p Barnes XPB (x20)
    Buffalo Bore "tactical" low flash / recoil 125gr .357 magnum Barnes XPB (x15)

It sounds like a lot of weight, but the Smart Carry keeps the weight of the Ruger off of the beltline. The holster / belt combo is great, and the Supertuck is already conforming to my waist. I did a lot of my research on this site prior to picking everything out, and I am real happy with it thus far.
    Bad Bob and Drgnfly like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You must have the strongest hips ever.....

You're happy, life's good.
    Brad426, pgrass101, Easy8 and 1 others like this.

If it works for you carry it ! I like your setup, but I would pare it down some as that is an awful lot to carry to me. For EDC, I would go with either the G30 or the SP101 and a spare reload as appropriate but I wouldnt want both at the same time. Two main carry guns, a spare mag and two speed strips is a bit much for the pockets IMO. Either gun plus a reload, combined with a tactical light and a blade is plenty for any need i can see arising. By no means are you wrong, my EDC rig is very similar.

My rig is either a SR40C in in a SHTF gear holster or a Foxx little foxx holster, worn at 3 O'clock, with a simple 80 lumen flashlight, a benchmade griptillian and spare mag, or my Ruger LCR 38 spcl in a SHTF Gear holster, worn 3 O'clock with the same light and blade. Both are carried on a wilderness tactical 5 stitch frequent flyer belt. Spare mag is carried in a SHTF Gear horizontal mag pouch worn at 10-11 O'clock on my non dominant side.

How has the smart carry worked out for you so far?
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Sound selections! The SP as a second gun may be a bit much. Did you consider a lightweight snubby instead? That much weight every day will get old quick. I'd wager 3 weeks and you'll want to leave one of those guns at home.

You're also abnormally heavily armed with a lot of ammo to spare. Do you live in a sleepy suburb or gangland? You may find yourself parsing down after awhile.

For most normal folks one snubby with 5 shots is plenty. But do what makes you feel secure. No more no less.

Great guns good ammo just dont fall in a lake :)

Wow, you are very well armed indeed. I usually carry a Sig P239 with one spare mag and sometimes just go about with a Jframe and one speed strip.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tj1371x View Post
    Hey everyone,

Finally got my carry permit in the mail and just started carrying. Although I just started, I'm already very pleased with this setup and am very confident in it. Been practicing holster drills at home (safely) and have zero complaints so far.

Glock 30S @ 3:30 position in a Crossbreed Supertuck (sports TruGlo TFOs)
    Ruger 2.25" SP101 DAO @ 11:00 in a Smart Carry (Meprolight front sight, 10# mainspring)
    Spare glock mag and x2 speed strips in the Smart Carry
    4sevens Quark tac light (360 lumen output)
    Spyderco Delica 4
    Beltman holster belt

Ammo selection:
    Buffalo Bore 185 gr .45+p Barnes XPB (x20)
    Buffalo Bore "tactical" low flash / recoil 125gr .357 magnum Barnes XPB (x15)

It sounds like a lot of weight, but the Smart Carry keeps the weight of the Ruger off of the beltline. The holster / belt combo is great, and the Supertuck is already conforming to my waist. I did a lot of my research on this site prior to picking everything out, and I am real happy with it thus far.
    It appears you did your homework. I tend to keep it simple - typically one gun - a j-frame with a speed strip or a semi - either IWB or OWB, or pocket option with the j-frame. If your set up works for you long term, great. It would be a bit much for me - but then, I'm not you.
    Drgnfly likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Dang i am a slacker for sure , Ruger SR9c with 8 rounds
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    If it works for you carry it ! I like your setup, but I would pare it down some as that is an awful lot to carry to me. For EDC, I would go with either the G30 or the SP101 and a spare reload as appropriate but I wouldnt want both at the same time. Two main carry guns, a spare mag and two speed strips is a bit much for the pockets IMO. Either gun plus a reload, combined with a tactical light and a blade is plenty for any need i can see arising. By no means are you wrong, my EDC rig is very similar.

My rig is either a SR40C in in a SHTF gear holster or a Foxx little foxx holster, worn at 3 O'clock, with a simple 80 lumen flashlight, a benchmade griptillian and spare mag, or my Ruger LCR 38 spcl in a SHTF Gear holster, worn 3 O'clock with the same light and blade. Both are carried on a wilderness tactical 5 stitch frequent flyer belt. Spare mag is carried in a SHTF Gear horizontal mag pouch worn at 10-11 O'clock on my non dominant side.

How has the smart carry worked out for you so far?
    The smart carry works great so far. I wouldn't use it as a primary carry rig as draw time has a little lag, but with practice its actually not bad at all. I like it because not only does it hold my backup, but also my spare ammo which keeps my pockets free for other items. Since the Smart Carry doesn't go on the belt, everything in their distributes it's weight below the hips. There's another open flap in the back to keep extra cash, handcuffs, or things like that too. I like it a lot so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    You must have the strongest hips ever.....
    Must be nice to be young.

Though I, too, have carried a primary and backup, with much the same load as the OP. Nice combination of gear deserves to be worn. If the lifestyle, clothing and "hips" supports it, why not? Absolutely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    Sound selections! The SP as a second gun may be a bit much. Did you consider a lightweight snubby instead? That much weight every day will get old quick. I'd wager 3 weeks and you'll want to leave one of those guns at home.

You're also abnormally heavily armed with a lot of ammo to spare. Do you live in a sleepy suburb or gangland? You may find yourself parsing down after awhile.

For most normal folks one snubby with 5 shots is plenty. But do what makes you feel secure. No more no less.
    I live in what you would call the "nice part" of a somewhat bad area. I say somewhat bad, because I'm originally from NYC, and people here tell me I live in a bad town but it doesn't seem so bad to me from my perspective.

One of the reasons I like to keep a spare is in the event I may end up at the scene of a mass shooting or an armed robbery. If I can pass my backup to someone who knows how to use it, now I'll have another person to work with (total of three if my wife is with me). Of course you may not have the time to pass it off, but if you do it would certainly tip the odds in your favor.
    Drgnfly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tj1371x View Post
    I live in what you would call the "nice part" of a somewhat bad area. I say somewhat bad, because I'm originally from NYC, and people here tell me I live in a bad town but it doesn't seem so bad to me from my perspective.

One of the reasons I like to keep a spare is in the event I may end up at the scene of a mass shooting or an armed robbery. If I can pass my backup to someone who knows how to use it, now I'll have another person to work with (total of three if my wife is with me). Of course you may not have the time to pass it off, but if you do it would certainly tip the odds in your favor.
    Like most have mentioned your load-out seems like a "prepped for a street war" setup. You'll have to be the one who decides if carrying that much firepower daily is warranted or not (if it is, you should consider moving to a safer area). But it seems a bit much.

I was young once :)

If you're happy with your rig, go for it. It's good to hear that you practice with it regularly. The time will teach you what you need to know and perhaps tweak something.

Good luck to you.
    onacoma likes this.

[QUOTE=One of the reasons I like to keep a spare is in the event I may end up at the scene of a mass shooting or an armed robbery. If I can pass my backup to someone who knows how to use it, now I'll have another person to work with (total of three if my wife is with me). Of course you may not have the time to pass it off, but if you do it would certainly tip the odds in your favor.[/QUOTE]

Unless your some form of LEO, responsibly carrying concealed weapons are for you and your families security and self defense. You'd be asking for all sorts of trouble thinking you can take the law into your own hands.

With that said, I like your load out. Way too much for me personally to carry but good quality gear nonetheless. :)

Props to you for rocking two decent weighted guns. If you don't mind my asking why two?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links