Ruger 1911CMD

Ruger 1911CMD

This is a discussion on Ruger 1911CMD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ruger1911.jpg Just bought and fired a Ruger 1911 Commander. It has a 4.25" barrel which I feel, balances better in the hand than a 5" ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Old_Dog
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By Smitty901

Thread: Ruger 1911CMD

Distinguished Member

Ruger 1911CMD

Ruger1911.jpgJust bought and fired a Ruger 1911 Commander. It has a 4.25" barrel which I feel, balances better in the hand than a 5" full size. I have to say that this 1911 impressed the heck out of me. For $700 I was not expecting the features and performance I found. The trigger was great and the gun was easy to get back onto target quickly. I spent a good time reviewing this gun because it impressed me that much. I have spent much more than this on 1911's. I even attempted to compete with a Kimber Custom about 10 years ago and could never get to where I wanted to be with it and switched to shooting 9mm's in competition where I did much better.

If I had this gun I would have stuck with it as it is the best shooting gun I have shot in a very long time. Perhaps that is better said that it is the gun I shoot best out of over 50-60 guns I have bought in the last 12 years, 30 just in the last 3 years alone. I had just about given up on 1911's and sold off the 5 I had. All of my past 1911's were either 5" or 3". The 5 inch did not feel good in my hand. The balance was off and I tend to point shoot. The 3" 1911's were not reliable enough for carry according to my standards and no fun at the range. After 25 rounds of pounding my old arthritic hands, they would shake so bad I had to stop shooting. Now with this baby. I shot 100 rounds of FMJ and 25 rounds of JHP without a problem. In fact, I was mad at myself for not bringing enough ammo.

You could say that like Goldilocks, I found a 1911 that is just right. Not too small and not too big. The fact that it is all steel and 36.5 ounces rather than having an aluminum frame like so many smaller 1911's do these days, makes it shoot and handle as well as the full sized version. As I said in my blog review, I think that the Ruger 1911 commander sized gun is one of the best values in 1911's today. It is as good or better than 1911's I bought that cost over a thousand dollars. It is priced like a gun made overseas but has the quality that Ruger is famous for. They even somehow managed to get the trigger right so that you do not need to do anything to it. it broke at about 4.5 lbs and the reset is nice and short. I was knocking out the center of the target during rapid fire and putting them in a 5" circle at 25 yards without benefit of a bench rest and that is good for someone my age with bad hands and eyes. I was thrilled with the gun.

Admittedly it is kind of heavy for all day carry since all of my other carry guns are under 20 ounces. I can carry 8 rounds of 9mm +P in my pocket at 15 oz. or 8 rounds of .45 ACP on my belt at 36 ounces. These days the 9mm is no slouch like it was in the old days and I am as comfortable with its ability to stop bad guys as any other round. My preference with the .45 has always been that the recoil pushes the gun straight back into my hand and that makes it quick and easy to get back onto target. There is little muzzle flip with this gun; even less than with my Glock 19 or Sig P226. If I knew there was a good chance that I would need to use my gun that day, I would take my Ruger 1911CMD. If it was just another day in the retirement community I live in where there is seldom anyone under the age of 55, my Sig P928 with Speer Gold Dot 9mm +P or S&W 340PD .357 at 11.5 ounces, goes into my pocket. It does not take much to stop old men. :)

Of course, if I run into very big crack addicted, PCP taking old men I always have my snub nose .454 Casull to use:

5301.jpg
    msgt/ret, Snub44 and DetChris like this.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

VIP Member
    I have both of Ruger’s 1911s, great guns just cannot figure which one I prefer to carry.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

...you keep on pushing me, people, I might just have to ...break out my wallet...that new Ruger just keeps callin' me...doesn't anyone have anything BAD to say about it? Right on about the balance of the Commander....my 70s model Combat Commander balanced like a druggist's scale!!!

VIP Member
    Well I do have one bad comment; they are hard to find in this part of the woods took me a while to get both.

...I've yet to hold one...but it's in the near future I'll correct that...

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...you keep on pushing me, people, I might just have to ...break out my wallet...that new Ruger just keeps callin' me...doesn't anyone have anything BAD to say about it? Right on about the balance of the Commander....my 70s model Combat Commander balanced like a druggist's scale!!!
    I cashed in a CD to buy this. That is how much I wanted it. :)
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

VIP Member
    One for each hand.

SR1911CMD_R.JPG IMG_0690.JPG
    OD* likes this.

...the ONLY thing against me buying it is that there's no ambi safety
    ...does this one have a positive block between the hammer and the firing pin so that it could be carried down on a live round?
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    I cashed in a CD to buy this. That is how much I wanted it. :)

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Well I do have one bad comment; they are hard to find in this part of the woods took me a while to get both.
    That is what I thought but Impact Guns have then online and on sale with free shipping. If you have not bought online, please do. I have bought most of my guns online and usually have them in 3 days and cheaper than I can get them locally, even with the FFL and shipping added in. In this case there was one sitting on the shelf of my local gun store for two weeks and I just knew it was waiting for me. I live in Florida and in the summer when the snow birds are not here, there are not a lot of customers for the gun store or range. Plus everyone panic bought guns thinking that they all would be banned for some reason and now few are buying guns. All the local gun stores have completely full shelves of guns because so many bought guns during the gun ban panic.

Ruger keeps saying that they have more demand than supply and yet I see their 1911's all the time here in Florida and online.

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    ...doesn't anyone have anything BAD to say about it?
    Ummm... No ramped barrel. No front checkering. No solid guide rod. Grooved trigger. No night sights.

Basically the CMD is going to put a LOT of pressure on Sig, Kimber and all other 1911 clones.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old_Dog,

Congrats. She's a beauty.

Were the ramps polished?

You would probably like my old Star M45. Sub-Compact; has ramped barrel, weighs 36 oz., no beavertail safety, has mag disconnect safety; but the slide can be racked with the safety on. I had to have a solid guide rod made for it ($15) because the tubular stock recoil guide rod was bent. FTFs. Then it was 100% reliable. Built like a tank. Sarco, e-sarcoinc.com , still has parts for it. So I loaded up on mag springs, firing pins, firing pin springs, etc.

But I still love my Sig Ultra. The Sig is taller but the Star is shorter in slide length. Who says that a 3" barreled .45 can't be made? Star did it. It just feels really heavy in the hand, much more than my Colt LWC or Sig Ultra.

Ruger is right up the road (135 miles) so we regularly see them for sale at $699.

And yes, I can never pass the CMD when I'm at a gun show. I have to heft it and sigh... Series 70... you gotta love it. The only thing that comes close to it, imo, is the American Classic Commander. And, once the dealers started jacking up the prices, it wasn't a bargain. Now they've come back down to $600 ($550 before the rush), but they're chromed and not stainless like the Ruger CMD. What I like about the AC is that I can get it in two-tone. I'm not crazy about the extended safety and slide stop, though. I have no problem spending the additional $100 for the Ruger.

Again, congrats you lucky guy. Yep, you can never have too many .45s.

OD*
    ...the ONLY thing against me buying it is that there's no ambi safety
    ...does this one have a positive block between the hammer and the firing pin so that it could be carried down on a live round?
    No firing pin block, they use a heavy firing pin spring and a titanium firing pin.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I saw a write up on this in a recent magazine article and I'm very curious myself. I'm early in researching a .45 for HD and possible CCW and the price is right on this pistol, however it doesn't have an ambi-safety and being a lefty I will need to have that added.

I read all the posts about some very expensive 1911's and I get a bit hesitant about a $700-$800 1911 being reliable enough for SD and HD. I appreciate this thread and will be watching others to get a good feel for this pistol...it has me enthusiastic for an affordable 1911.

You always get more weapon than you pay for with a Ruger.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Good choice! I love my SR1911 cmd as well! Really well made gun. Congrats!

I've never even seen one.

I guess it will be there on the shelf waiting for me one of these days like it's big brother was. Till then I guess I'll just keep reading about them.

Sponsored Links