S&W Sigma SW9VE

This is a discussion on S&W Sigma SW9VE within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, about two months ago I found a good deal one one of these at a local gun shop. NIB, with 3 16 round mags, ...

Thread: S&W Sigma SW9VE

S&W Sigma SW9VE

So, about two months ago I found a good deal one one of these at a local gun shop. NIB, with 3 16 round mags, for $280, and it has a lifetime S&W warranty. I had been lookin for a 9mm just for fun and plinking, .45 gets a little expensive for a college kid to shoot every week. MY 1911A1 is my carry weapon, and that's prolly not gonna change.

Now, the trigger pull on the Sigma is heavy, but I was still getting reasonable groups (2-3") at 7-10 yards including some rapid fire last weekend at the range. So I guess I'll go ahead and open up a big can of worms, why does everybody seem to hold these weapons in such low regard? Mine hasn't had any hiccups with the 400 or so rounds I've put through it, and it certainly didn't break the bank. I would even feel comfortable carrying it if for some reason my .45 was out of action (400 round's isn't quite enough, I know). So why such the bad reputation?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have one and put a couple thousand rounds through it with no
    problems! This pistol has a heavy trigger that I hate but a good buy
    and I would buy again.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    So, about two months ago I found a good deal one one of these at a local gun shop. NIB, with 3 16 round mags, for $280, and it has a lifetime S&W warranty. I had been lookin for a 9mm just for fun and plinking, .45 gets a little expensive for a college kid to shoot every week. MY 1911A1 is my carry weapon, and that's prolly not gonna change.

Now, the trigger pull on the Sigma is heavy, but I was still getting reasonable groups (2-3") at 7-10 yards including some rapid fire last weekend at the range. So I guess I'll go ahead and open up a big can of worms, why does everybody seem to hold these weapons in such low regard? Mine hasn't had any hiccups with the 400 or so rounds I've put through it, and it certainly didn't break the bank. I would even feel comfortable carrying it if for some reason my .45 was out of action (400 round's isn't quite enough, I know). So why such the bad reputation?

I have one as well, I think the crap everyone talks about is the original sigma series. The original series was crap, however, S&W made the revised sigma which is what is in production now. Mine has never failed me, looks awesome, fits my hand perfectly, and is very accurate. I couldn't ask for a better gun in the price range.

Is this what yours looks like?:

Yeah, thats what mine looks like. The guys at the gun store where i bought it had said that some of the origional ones did have problems, but it was all worked out by now. But if you look through these forums you can still find people that think they are junk, and I was just wondering as to why they did.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Yeah, thats what mine looks like. The guys at the gun store where i bought it had said that some of the origional ones did have problems, but it was all worked out by now. But if you look through these forums you can still find people that think they are junk, and I was just wondering as to why they did.
    Because they still think the new ones have problems. They cant get it out of their head that the newer improved sigmas are awesome. It's just like Taurus, people say taurus's suck because the company used to have a lot of QC issues, but now they are very good firearms.

Yeah, I actually have a Rossi 461 snub nose in .357, and people tend to look down on those too. I've got over 1000 rounds through that in a year, without a single problem, and it has Taurus' lifetime warranty. Some people just don't change their minds it seems.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I have a 40VE version and it is 3 years old with 3000+ completely trouble free.

To improve the trigger, dry fire it a ton (no it won't hurt it) and put 500+ rounds down range and you will see a huge difference.

Pic of my 40 with 15+1 rounds mags!

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Ugh, I don't like those mags at all!
    Give me polymer mags, not steel.

Those remind me of the ones that Christian Bale used in Equilibrium. The kind that stood up like Weebles when placed on the ground... very bottom-heavy.

All Smith mags drop free unlike Glock mags when empty. If you don't like the extension then use the 14+1 mags.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I am also looking at buying a 9mm 9VE. Good to see that some of you like the gun, you cannot beat the price. I now have an S&W 5904 and an old Star BM 9mm.

VIP Member
    I have a SW40VE, and I have never been dissatisfied with it. It does prefer, however, some bullet profiles over others...but that is just an excuse to experiment....

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by litzm View Post
    I am also looking at buying a 9mm 9VE. Good to see that some of you like the gun, you cannot beat the price. I now have an S&W 5904 and an old Star BM 9mm.
    I had a .40VE and had no problems whatsoever with it. It felt better than my G23 in hand. I traded it on another pistol that I wanted. I got most of my money back on the trade. I wish I had put the new pistol in layaway and kept the Sigma. As the pistol I was looking at was close to the S&W in price, the dealer didn't want to trade with the Glock and I'd bought extra a .357sig barrel and extra mags so I had lot more than he'd want to give in trade. I'm not dissing the Glock, just saying of the two the S&W felt better and points a little more natural. There isn't as much after market pieces out for the Sigma as the Glock and XD. The more you shoot it the better the trigger gets to a point. It is a longer and heavier pull than some like. When you get used to it you'll have no problems. Just consider it a extra safety measure.

Quote Originally Posted by litzm View Post
    Welcome to the forum! You will find many people here who like 3rd gen Smiths.

Looks like you want to stay with 9mm so by all means pick up a 9VE.
    MNBurl

Sigma triggers

Most don't like them because of the triggers. It is heavy, but a trigger job is really not a big deal if you know how. We just started offering trigger jobs for them where I work, and will probably charge about $20 or so. Of course there is the debate on modify vs don't modify, but anything that makes the gun easier to shoot, and thus hit what you aim at, is OK in my book. As for the magazines, I think they are one of the strongest and best around, just wish the base plate didn't stick out so far.

Links