Revolver for Alternative Carry

This is a discussion on Revolver for Alternative Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have decided that at this point in my carry career, I am only going to pocket carry. I am done wth having to wear ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Revolver for Alternative Carry

I have decided that at this point in my carry career, I am only going to pocket carry. I am done wth having to wear shirts untucked, having to deal with cover garments, etc.

My current EDC is a CM9, which carrys very nicely in a Mika pocket holster. I am now looking for a revolver to use as a alternative carry gun with my CM9. I had a S&W 442, which I could not shoot worth a darn. The trigger pull was far too heavy for me, so I sold it. I realize that the 442 is a favorite with a lot of folks, but not me.

So, I would appreciate any suggestions for a revolver that is small and light enough for pocket carry, that has a smooth trigger pull, length of pull is not that important, provided it is not too haeavy and breaks smoothly.

I would prefer .38+P, but .357 would work. provided it can also shoot .38+P.

All suggestions are gratefully accepted.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I would recommend the Ruger LCR .357, then you could also shoot .38+. Very smooth trigger pull, concealed hammer, and it's a Ruger. BTW, foy or for, I understood what you meant!
    JoJoGunn, Pete63 and whittsailor like this.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

My LCR in .38 relegated my PM9 to the safe. Might do the same for you.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    + 3 for the LCR! IMHO one of the best bets out there for snubbie wheelguns!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I have an LCP and if the LCR is even close, I think you'd be happy. And I've heard nothing but good about the little revolver so my advice is to check one out ... today!
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Ruger LCR all the way..
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Dear Santa it is about four months till Christmas. I have been a good boy this year, and would like to see a Ruger KLCR-357 under my tree (Please note Crimson trace laser can be optional)

I've been wishing for years I'd picked up a good used Smith & Wesson Model 49 (the steel-framed Bodyguard-not the plastic/aluminum abomination) rather than the Model 642 I bought new.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The .38 special LCR is ~7-8 ozs. lighter (aluminum frame) than it's .357 mag (steel frame) stouter brother. IMHO, for a pocket packed pistol, that 1/2 pound is considerable. I prefer the .38 special. Enjoy whichever you pick!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by czman2006 View Post
    I would recommend the Ruger LCR .357, then you could also shoot .38+. Very smooth trigger pull, concealed hammer, and it's a Ruger. BTW, foy or for, I understood what you meant!
    LCR is a fine weapon clearly a great option for some.
    Problem with revolvers and pocket carry, They need to be light very light. They IMO need a shrouded hammer.
    When comparing them look at the S&W bodyguard 38. 5 shot very light small for what it is +P.
    Factory laser can be useful with such a small weapon.
    LCP S&W bodyguard 38 LC9 to compare size

I'm going to have to recommend the LCR .38 as well. I have one and pocket carry it as an alternative to MY CM9, and it is great. My cousin owns a 642, and when he shot my LCR he told me straight out that if he keeps a pocket .38 around, he is trading his 642 toward a LCR.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Thanks for the replies. looks like the consensus is for the LCR. Since I intend to pocket carry, I think I will opt for the .38+P model to reduce the weight. I am comfortable with the .38+P round.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I used to occasionally carry my LCR in my pocket until I discovered the LCP. I hardly ever carry the LCR in a pocket any more.

The draw from the pocket is tricky either way. Artistic development will win the argument.

A referee will be there to judge the confrontation. Keep moving 'till you here a whistle blast!
    Last edited by Doghandler; September 1st, 2013 at 10:14 PM.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

LCR all the way. Very easy to carry along with a speed strip or three.
    The pen may be mightier than the sword, but a .45 caliber sword on the right hip can come in pretty handy sometime.

Go with the Ruger LCR. I bought one for my wife to carry, she actually wanted it in .357 magnum and she LOVES it. So do I. I would like to have one myself.

Go with the LCR. You won't be disappointed.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links