Kimber, why...

Kimber, why...

This is a discussion on Kimber, why... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; should I be looking at Kimber? What is it about Kimber? Honestly until I started reading this forum I had never even heard of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber, why...

Kimber, why...

should I be looking at Kimber? What is it about Kimber? Honestly until I started reading this forum I had never even heard of the company before? From what I have been able to see from pictures and the like they are/can be very asthetically pleaseing 1911s, but is there a beast inside the beauty or are Kimbers "Bar-b-que" guns.

Those of you who have one speak up please.

Thanks
    MikeV
    Last edited by MIKEV; December 1st, 2006 at 06:50 PM. Reason: omission of words

Have 2 an Ultra carry II that needed a heavier recoil spring and better mags to function reliably, and a Custom II that has never malfunctioned ever (even with crappy GI mags).
    I like 'em.

I have two, Team Match II .45 and a Rimfire Target (black)
    TM II never let me down not even with the cheapest ammo. It has 6000 rounds on it and still as tight as new. Absolutely zero play. My Rimfire has 20.000 rounds on it and it is just like a new one.
    I would not hasitate to buy more Kimbers.
    In fact Pro CDP is coming soom

my Kimbers:

look at at all of um just don't focus on one maker look at springfield colt kimber and others before you decide

Interesting. I was about to get a Browning Buckmark or similar. How do you like the .22LR 1911 for plinking and all?

I Would Not Buy One More Kimber...

maybe two or three...

I love my Kimbers...never a problem...but I'd stick with the .45's...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

New Member Array Ruffled Feathers's Avatar

pro cdp 2

I got a new Pro CDP 2 about 6 months ago and love it. It had about ten instances of failure to feed properly during the first 800 rounds but it has been flawless since.

Best shootin gun I've owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Air,Land&Sea View Post
    Interesting. I was about to get a Browning Buckmark or similar. How do you like the .22LR 1911 for plinking and all?
    I can use the same platform (1911) holster, mag pouches for cheap prartice. (same gear, no additional investments)
    It feeds one of the cheapest .22 (CCI 50021) ammo. 500 rd/ $15 beat this...
    Feed ramp needs to be kept clean...I brush it often during practice.
    It even has some muzzle flip (aluminum frame and slide.) It DOES recoil. Lot more fun to shoot it then my Bro's Model 41
    With CCI stingers it feels like a real big gun.
    On a day at the range it sees about 500 possibly more draws out of a kydex holster, no wear on the finish, just like new.
    The reason why I bought it cause I wanted to pratice with a 1911
    It ain't cheap tho.

I was also looking at other platforms (Buckmark etc.) before but I invested more and I got a good, accurate 1911 in .22 caliber.
    Last edited by TheHun; December 1st, 2006 at 07:44 PM.

It depends on your budget!

Kimber is a stepping stone to the $2,000 + 1911's such as Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Les Baer, etc that are semi custom. Kimbers are however fit pretty nicely for the price point and are very accurate out of the box. The things I don't like are Kimber's are sold with cheap mag's and plastic MSH's on most models that I don't like and change right away, although most have adopted this thinking as well these day's.

My Ultra CDP needed a slight tuning to feed correctly (I had some feeding issues about every 6th round or so, never a failer to extract though) along with changing mag's to Tripp Cobra's and it's now my EDC and has been for a year or so. After the reliability job the gun is flawless and will feed anything with any mag, even the crappy kimber mag's. I attribute the feeding problems to being a production piece with some over looked details by "hand" that are not applied with a mass production piece.

I will say that I didn't give it the "recommended" break in time/rounds on purpose because I don't believe in one needing a "break in" to get it to run right. This is where the lack of hand details such a polishing and fitting of small part's that require a "break in" with a production gun.

I also have a Tactical Pro now that is nice also with no problems so far. Either Springfield or Kimber are both fine production 1911's. Both will run well. I find Kimbers slightly more accurate for me but my next purchase is a SF Loaded chambered in 9mm. I love the Kimber aluminum frames for carry, both the Ultra and Pro are great for that and mainly why I have them. Makes a HUGE difference carrying 12 + hours a day.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

kimber

I have a Target II and an Ultra CDP II. I find the Kimber to be nice and tight right from the box; barrel bushing with no play, slide fits very exactly, barrel with no extra play. I really like how the Ultra CDP carries.

I carry a Kimber Ultra CDP II daily. For a 3" gun it's just great. Looks sharp, hits to POA and has been 100% reliable for me. It's fancier than some, more costly than most and mine is as reliable as the day is long. Kimber's been around a few years and has a mixed reputation from what I've determined. My experience with mine has been excellent. I do not know anyone personally who has had a problem with theirs and many who love'em.

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    It depends on your budget!

Kimber is a stepping stone to the $2,000 + 1911's such as Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Les Baer, etc that are semi custom. Kimbers are however fit pretty nicely for the price point and are very accurate out of the box.
    Ti.
    It sure does! My TLEII was my first 1911 2 years ago. Now I have four more and want more. I bought a used CQB last spring and it is a fine weapon, but I still won't get rid of my Kimber. I run a 22 kit on it most of the time, but I started carrying it a couple weeks ago. It's a comfortable piece.

Mike

Ti is correct all the kimbers colts springers are stepping stones to the semi customs and full customs

In the beginning there was Colt...

I'm old enough to remember when there was only Colt in the 1911 market. Their patents had long expired but nobody wanted to take them on directly. Most of the activity was in non-1911 designs like wonder nines and double/single action semiautos.

I think Springfield was the first direct 1911 competitor of substance, and their thing was lower priced knockoffs of Colt designs, using parts made in Brazil. Springfield capitalized on the high price of the Colts and their inefficient manufacturing plant in Hartford.

Then Kimber came along sometime in the 1990s, and their approach was to upgrade the product features, advertise a lot, and set their prices right up with Colt. I think they also built a newer, more modern manufacturing plant than Colt had. Kimber offered a lot of features in their guns that people wanted, like upswept beavertails, combat sights, fancy wood grip panels, extended and ambi safties, etc. And Kimber kept a steady flow of new models coming out, with lots of advertising, and established a reputation for innovation and modern design. Because of this Kimber took a big chunk of the market out of Colt's hide, and probably expanded the 1911 market as well.

If Colt had not been so financially weak and poorly managed, Kimber probably could not have done what they did, because Colt would have countered them aggressively. But Colt just sat there, and almost went out of business before trying to make a comeback with upgraded designs to match Kimber. With good management and enough money, Colt could probably win back some of the market share lost to Kimber in 1911s.

If colt would try your right they could take back a market share but since colt is run by idiots not gonna happen

They dont market near as well as kimber does and never did how many colt ad's do you see vs kimber springer even wils ed brown and les baer

I figure my collection should triple in price the day colt goes out of bizz sad as i think they is i feel its going to happen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links