Funny thing about a 1911......

This is a discussion on Funny thing about a 1911...... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A guy just seems to gravitate towards it. You hear the stories about how unreliable they are compared to more modern designs. They are heavy, ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: Funny thing about a 1911......

Funny thing about a 1911......

A guy just seems to gravitate towards it. You hear the stories about how unreliable they are compared to more modern designs. They are heavy, have a Bloomberg approved capacity, and that's if you get a good one.

I've been at this game awhile, not nearly long enough to consider myself worthy of giving advice (although I do all the time), but certainly not a greener. I've learned a ton about handguns, shooting and carrying them, (thanks to a lot of guys here), and I find it ironic that the type of gun I first started out with (when I knew virtually nothing) is the gun I prefer now that I am reasonably competent.

And it is the 1911.

I've owned many different guns. Glocks, SIGs, M&Ps, XDs, Berettas, Rugers, Hi-Powers, you name it. They all work, and work well. I still own many of those guns, and carry them. I run a few in competition. They all have pros and cons.

But, to me, the 1911 combines it all. There is no gun that I shoot as well as my Kimber (yup, one of those!). It's just a stainless Custom II, and all that has been modded are the sights and grips. The feel, looks, accuracy, and performance of the gun have far exceeded my expectations. It has been as reliable as any of my SIGs, Glock, or M&Ps. As slim as it is, it carries as well as anything, and in a Versa Max or Summer Special II, the weight of the all steel gun has never been an issue. I have a 55BN on the way, and should be just about set. It eats hardball, Hydra Shocks, and HST with no troubles.

And I have never worried about running out of ammo. 7+1 in a Tripp with two spares has me convinced it'll get the job done.

The only real problem with a 1911 is that it'll make you want another.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I know my limits and my weaknesses. There is a reason I have not purchased a 1911, and it's not because I don't like them. Your last sentence - The only real problem with a 1911 is that it'll make you want another - is why I am staying away from them.

I've dumped enough money into modest revolvers. I need another pay grade before I go all in.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Well said. I may purchase other guns, but the ones that just feel right are my 1911's
    Rhcmlc, deadguy, dV8r and 1 others like this.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Whatever works for you. I have no "gravity" for 1911s. Yes, I've fired them. Nice, but nothing magical about them for me. Don't like external safeties, either.

Had a bunch of old timers at my former gun club who tried to convert me to the Church of the 1911. Told me all the reasons why it was better than my stock Glock 19. Until the time came for the annual plate shooting competition - and I smoked all of them. Somehow, my 9mm rounds were just as able to knock the plates down as their heavy .45. Somehow, I managed to make more and faster hits with the Glock's "lousy" trigger and "incorrect" grip angle. And I didn't need to use "spray and pray" either.

Bottom line is everyone is different. The 1911 has been around a long time, and certainly has its adherents. It doesn't offer me anything I can't get with another design, and quite a few things I don't wish to have.

At this point, I probably have all the handguns I really need. If I ever buy another, it will probably be another revolver, so I don't have to run a zillion rounds through it to ensure it works.

Glad you like your 1911...just don't assume that "gravity" affects everyone else.
    Glock2201 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

When I'm heading out the door and absolutely want to come home...
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

My 19 will do the same on the plate rack.

But my 1911 makes it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    When I'm heading out the door and absolutely want to come home...
    Archie! How you been, neighbor?

I'm willing to own a 1911 ... or a few 1911s.

Haven't seen fit to add any major post-World War II design to the automatics kept on hand. One wretched Kel Tec P3AT and it's enough to gag-a-maggot. I'm allergic to plastic and aluminum alloy.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

From the moment I got my Kimber CDP custom and compact the M&P's have been in the back of the safe. I trust my life to them no problem. Sure maybee they aren't battle hardend like a glock. I cant throw my Kimber in the mud after shoting 500 rounds and expect to shoot another 1000 rounds before a cleaning. Although I have shot my Kimber to my fatigue point at the range without a single malfunction. I'm fine with an 8 round capacity and limited to 10 in CA. If I need to shoot 1500 rounds in an SD situation my primary weapon should not be a handgun.

Both of my kimbers have been flawless. I just put crimson trace grips on my bobtailed CDP custom last week. Took the target out to 20 yards with 24 rounds. All rounds were in a 6 inch grouping with 6 right through the bullseye. I know the gun is capable of better and most here could out shoot me but at 20 yards with my M&P compact I would be lucky to even hit any part of the target.

For carry the 1911 is slimmer than a double stack polymer and with an alloy frame the weight difference is negligible. I'm glad I found the 1911 before years of use with polymer. My only regret is the addiction. I have a TRP next to the 2 CDP's and find myself eyeing more.

I wonder if the original 1911 was chambered in a smaller caliber like a 9mm, would people still gravitate towards them. Or does the iconic size of the .45 have something to do with its allure?

VIP Member
    A 1911 is a fine pistol. But there really have been advances in the last 102 years. I wouldn't say a car made 100 years ago is superior to anything made today. It is kind of the same thing.

In its intended role as a backup to a long gun, it is a super weapon. As a stand alone pistol it is low on capacity.
    With the arched mainspring housing the grip angle isn't that dissimilar from newer designs.
    With modern ammunition it isn't a better man stopper than anything greater from 9mm and up.
    It is heavy and the ammunition makes it even heavier.

If a 1911 is your choice, you haven't chosen wrong. But those that don't pick the 1911 haven't chosen incorrectly either. We all weigh pros and cons of every decision and decide what is best for us. Personally I will only use a 1911 for serious purposes when I'm forced to do so. However I'll happily plink away at the range with one and have a big grin on my face the whole time.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Glad you like your 1911...just don't assume that "gravity" affects everyone else.
    New 'catch' abbreviation for 10th: "YGMV" (your gravity may vary)
    msgt/ret, blitzburgh, OD* and 2 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

New Member Array Daveditchdigger's Avatar
    Love the 686's, glocks, xd's, but the 1911's are the most comfortable. As I get older the G19 does carry well though & with 2 xtra mags still seems lighter. I do have that gravity for 1911's.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Ive had three 1911s and every one have been absolutly reliable Two were government models, and one Mexican army 38 Super. I recently built another for my youngest son. Its built on a 1919 Remington frame. The upgrades are a hand fitted barrel, one piece guide rod, matched hammer and sear, and novak sights. Its a shooter! Hes so happy with it He wont let me take it appart to put the finish on it. Its going to get a black oxide finish. DR

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    1911s. They remind me of RABBITS, Buy one! Never buy two! After two they will eat ya out of house and home. NO JOKE. Got 5 an counting
    msgt/ret, OD*, Aceoky and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links